Wellesley College

« See more reviews of Wellesley College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Everyone is a lesbian or at least bisexual. (not true, just because we go to an all girls school does not mean everyone is gay) Girls either do nothing but study or argue. Everyone is a "that girl" who can't help but raise their hands all the time in class and proceed to talk about themselves, answer rhetorical questions, or repeat what someone else already said. Girls from an all girl's school have no standards in men and are just waiting for a hook-up. Everyone is a Hilary Clinton supporter. Mona Lisa's smile was an accurate representation of the college and its campus. (not) We're so driven to do better than everyone else that we don't know how to take care of ourselves and always take on too much. (this one is somewhat true, we have to make a conscious effort to combat this instinct)

There are several stereotypes of the Wellesley student that often conflict. Wellesley is obviously an all-girls school and as such, the lesbian jokes abound. There is the classic gay stereotype of 2400 raging dykes who cut their hair, wear piercings and tattoos and dress as men. On the other end of the stereotypical spectrum there is the image of Wellesley women as men-chasers. Harvard and MIT female students (and yes, there are women at MIT) are purported to have an extremely negative view of Wellesley students. After all, after the Wellesley women are done, there just aren't any boys left in Boston.

I think that there are a couple of stereotypes about Wellesley students: one that we're all walking around with pearls and cardigans thrown over our shoulders - very Mona Lisa Smile - and another that the campus is full of, if not man hating dykes, at least a lot of lesbians and feminists (sometimes conflated). And, of course, I think that a lot of other local college students can see Wellesley students as traveling in packs in search of booze and boys, but some of that has to do with who goes off campus to frat parties on the weekends.

There are a few: there's the "Wendy Wellesley" type, which is wealthy, preppy boarding school girls who weren't accepted to the Ivies; lesbians, who carry about three different stereotypes of their own (lesbians until graduation, butch lesbians, secret lesbians etc); the intense, overachieving perfectionist who is involved in ten extracurriculars and maintains a 4.0.

I've heard that some students "turn gay", which I don't believe for a second. Also, many believe Wellesley students are all hairy liberal feminists. (also not the case). I think that there is a lot of suspicion that the majority are lesbians. Also, since it is an all women's college, there is this belief that Wellesley women are desperate for men.

The only stereotypes that I had heard prior to ever coming to Wellesley College were that because it was a private school, the majority of the students came from wealthy families. Another was that all Wellesley students were pretty much independent and head strong, competitive, well rounded,etc.

People think that almost everyone who goes to Wellesley turns into a lesbian, and those who don't go to Harvard or M.I.T. every weekend on the "fuck truck" to try to secure a husband. Outsiders sometimes ask me if it really is a "finishing school" like in Mona Lisa Smile.

Wellesley students are super driven, to the point of being cut-throat. Wellesley women are really ambitious, they don't do anything but school. We're all lesbians or really, really hard up for sex with any man that comes our way.

Some stereotypes: wellesley girls are dykes, are constantly studying, not your typical 'cool' type students, some wellesley girls are really slutty and are off to MIT/Harvard every weekend to try and hook up with some guy.

A common stereotype is that Wellesley women are all desperate for men and go out stealing MIT men from the MIT ladies in particular. Another stereotype is that we're all lesbians.