American University

« See more reviews of American University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Gay-Jew, ugly duckling (girls), political nerds, wannabe rich kids who couldn't get into a better school.

The stereotype is that every student is into politics or wants to be a lobbyist. This is not true. While the political programs (both domestic and international) are prominent, there are many other programs. The Kogod School of Business and the College of Arts and Sciences are both excellent and they cater to their students. While it's true that AU doesn't have a football team, students do attend other games, especially basketball. There is also greek life if you want it, but it can easily be ignored if that's not your thing.

There is a stereotype that we are all into politics and that we have a high gay population. In reality, there are a bunch of kids that like to talk politics. On the other hand, if you don't want to talk politics, that's possible too. Nobody will force you to discuss anything you don't want to. And I will say that there is a high gay population at the school. The only issue with that is that girls find it hard to find straight guys.

Passionate about their beliefs and interests and not at all afraid to defend their opinions. Few AU students are apathetic

All political science or international relations major. We are all "wonky"