American University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for American University

Jen

I graduated from American University over 20 years ago and I never got a job related to my degree and I have never had a career of any kind. I applied to thousands of jobs over the last 20 years and not one resulted in an interview as a result of graduating from American University. And the interviews I did get, no one ever said to me that they called me in for an interview because I went to American University. The employers were basically just looking for bodies to fill constant vacancies and were not looking to hire me because I went to American University. I tried using the Career Center over the years only to discover that a lot of the jobs in the American University Career Center are for entry-level nonprofits in the Washington, DC area that do not pay a salary you can really live off of. I did not see any positions in the Career Center that said the starting salary was $75,000 or more. There are garbagemen who make more than $75,000 a year and the job does not require a college degree. When I looked up the jobs that some of the people I graduated with have, they are just regular jobs that you could get with a degree from pretty much any school and I am not even sure that some of those jobs require a college degree. Some of them even had sales jobs for companies I never even heard of. I did not personally see any of the professors I had at American University do anything for students to help them find a job. In my opinion, I don't think the vast majority of the professors at American University have any contacts in the private or public sector to help any of the students get jobs after graduating or even to help students get paying internships. Anyone can get an unpaid internship in the DC area. Who doesn't want free labor? And honestly, I think that if American University was really looking out for their students they wouldn't allow anyone to use the students as a source for free labor. These are things to consider before spending approximately $50,000 a year / $200,000 for a Bachelor's degree. If you have $200,000 in student loans, you are looking at paying at least $1,000 a month for the next 30 years. How on earth are you going to buy a house or a new car or have money for anything if you are paying at least $1,000 a month for 30 years on your student loans? Especially when the jobs I have seen in the American University Career Center do not even pay $75,000 a year to start. You do not have to listen to anything I just wrote. You can ignore it and enroll in American University and find out what will happen to you.

Edward

Not worth it! No room for different ideas.

Nate

AU is a great school with a nationally respected political science program and an internationally respected IR program. There's plenty of things to do on and off campus and it's uniquely situated in the city where there's a lot of green space but downtown is still very accessible.

Matt

Great academics, but it is not worth the money. There are consistent attempts to compensate for their lack of acceptance as a "top tier" school. They are so obsessed with the idea of being moderate and guiding light in the world that all funding goes to STEM and "bipartisan" initiatives. However, the overwhelming majority of students just want to learn about international relations, political science, economics, and communications. Students pay for the experience they were promised, but their best interests will always be second to the University's insecurities.

Joe

I am a member of the class of 2019, and am a computer science major. So far, I've enjoyed my time at AU. There's good and bad things about it. I'll start with the bad. Bad: 1) One negative thing is that, while many words could describe the stereotypical politically active AU student, "chill" isn't one of them. The political discussion culture here is great for students who love it, but it creates enemies just as easily, if not more so, as it creates friendships. People will debate about politics for ages, rarely agree, but will drop an issue and chill out even less often than they agree. After the first 2 weeks or so, some people will actively and openly start shunning people they have political disagreements with. Many students are very determined to shout their beliefs in debates, and a decent number are simply not willing to listen to the other side. For the some of the openly, radically left-wing students here (I'm left-wing but not to the degree of some of my peers), you either agree with them on every issue or you're branded as a bigot. Politics is a great discussion topic, but a decent number of students here just won't let it go, and won't see anything in other people besides the political views they have. This is NOT the majority of students, but its a very vocal minority who are active on social media, in the student government and other politically-oriented groups. 2) Food options are limited. While TDR (The cafeteria) is frankly not as bad as people say it is, it really isn't all that great. It is not well-staffed, and while the food is mostly different each day, the problem is that it can be really bad at times. The "Meatless mondays" are a bad idea too. There are other options that take meal swipes besides TDR, but many have very long lines and bad service. 3) The buildings. I have an interest in architecture so to me, it may be a bigger deal than for most people, but some of the buildings, especially the older ones, are very ugly. For a campus that's called "American University, it looks suspiciously like it was built by the soviet union. 4) The sciences are weak here. Their computer science program is small and needs more professors, but they are hiring more for next year when the program has a new building in the east campus. The courses themselves are decent and the people in them are happy with their choice. But they don't do a good job in general with mathematics and natural sciences, and the closest thing they have to an engineering program is a joint degree program with Colombia. Good 1) The classes. The professors are great at what they do, knowledgeable, and fun. Even the ones I've had with less-then-stellar reviews on ratemyprofessor.com have been awesome. The general ed program is comprehensive covers a wide variety of topics, and I'm sad that they are planning on changing it in the coming years. 2) The political culture is bad in some ways, but it can also bring people together. When you encounter the people who aren't open minded, it is frustrating, but for the people are willing to hang out with people of vastly different beliefs and maybe even talk about politics and find common ground *gasp*, it is an educational experience. If you play it right, you'll learn to see political opponents as normal people, rather than as faceless enemies. 3) The campus is well-designed. The architecture is ugly but the design of the campus itself is very good. The new East Campus should be a welcome addition.

Abi

great school with some internal issues- the people are amazing, you get a mix of everyone from all different walks of life. The sorority/fraternity life is a small but welcoming community that I am lucky to be a part of, as well as many other organizations on campus that they offer.

Veronica

I never thought I could be so in love with my college. The classes and professors I have have had the opportunity to take and meet are incredible. The campus is beautiful and the people you meet here really make it feel like home. I am beyond happy to be studying here and know that there would have been no better fit for me.

Julia

American University is a great place to study. Many students are very politically active, which leads to a lot of intellectual discussions. However, the school had a very liberal bias due to the fact that an overwhelming majority of students and professors share these beliefs. It's a small and beautiful campus, which adds to the community factor. DC is the perfect location to grow away from home, which is easy because so many students are from all over the world. It's expensive, but I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.

yosserlyn

amazing university

Nazli

Despite what people say, there are many opportunities within this university that will take you places.

anon

I attended for a year and a half as a transfer student. They charge inflated tuition for an education the can be aquired for far less at a comparible public University. I was a good student when I attended, with a 3.5 gpa. Shortly after the summer semester, about two weeks before the start of class, I was in the campus dormatory. I had to go into the hospital for ten days. However, upon completion of my temporary hopsital visit, and upon full recovery and recommendation of my doctor to return to class, I planned to go class for the new semester. However, shortly before my discharge from the hospital, I was informed by the housing department that I had been evicted from my dorm room. The housing department and administration offered no reason for the eviction, other than stating that my illness "could have been disruptive" to other students. There was no disruption at all, due to the fact that the dorms were practically empty. The housing department, and administration, was rude, dismissive, arrogant, and completely self-autonomous in their actions. They did not want to hear from my doctor or from me, for that matter. I had an attorney submit correspondence to them and this was their reply: "For reasons of confidentiality I wil not provide specific information about...(your client), let me state emphatically that the American University is frimly committed to a policy of non discrimination , and I assure you that the University has consistently applied this policy to (your client). The administration based their decision to evict me on the following criteria: 1. They claimed that I was engaged in "ritualistic behavior." This claim was based on the discovery of religious symbols, such as a crucifix, in my room. This is discriminatory, seeing that having a religious symbol is my constitutional right and not proof of any misconduct. 2. They didn't want to discuss my case based on "privacy concerns." However, they had no respect for my privacy when they went through my room looking for reasons to evict me. I would like to add that I have since graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with a Bachelors Degree. I would never recommend The American University to anyone. They have no vested interest in their students' success.

American University has a great academia. I have not taken a class where I am not in awe of the professor. However, some professors assume you know a lot more than you do. American University sometimes is a lot to handle since we are so politically active. It allows for a lot of group think.

I came to DC because I wanted to have the experiences available in a large city with such an international character. However, I also didn't want to be in the center of the city. American University had the opportunities I wanted (International Studies, Japanese classes, study abroad, TESOL certification, access to amazing internship opportunities, etc.) The campus is beautiful, the professors were knowledgeable and helpful, and I had an amazing college experience. Friendships and professional relationships I first built while at American are still vital and important to me today.

Julia

The academics are great, and it’s a great environment for someone who wants to be active in politics. However, learn how to cook or be prepared to eat take out, because the food is not that great. There are limited options and the food that is there isn’t very good.

Sheridan

Honestly, American University was not my first choice when applying to colleges. That said, I do not think I would have chosen to go anywhere else. While the school is not perfect (but really, no school is) American is my home. I have met people here who I hope to stay close to for the rest of my life, and I have had countless new experiences that I would not trade for the world. I have learned so much in the year and a half that I have been here and I am eager to continue my education and to learn and grow from the people around me. American University is not a very well known school, however, I think everyone that is lucky enough to visit will find themselves in love with the arboretum campus, the diverse architecture, and the school's favorite mascot, Clawed Z Eagle. As is always said, "Home is where the heart is," and American University certainly has my heart. I am proud to be an eagle now and forever because as Clawed has told us since day one, "Once and eagle, always an eagle."

Mariam

It's a great school with a lot of opportunities. The professors are always there to help and you can easily walk in to the dean's office and ask for help. Everyone is open minded and ready to help. They are also building new buildings and upgrading the facilities to assure that students have a great learning environment.

Carolina

Abigail

I'm extremely happy at American University, and honestly have only met one person who was unhappy with the university. I feel like if you can't find the right social scene, right study places, right exploring places, and right eating places to suit your wants and needs here, you must not be looking hard enough. It's true that we're an extremely politically active campus, but I myself am not as political as many of my friends and I still get along very well with them. Greek life isn't expected, but if you want to participate, it's not frowned upon either. It's in the heart of the nation, so there will be free events every single week if you have time to take off from studying. There are frequent embassy parties and balls, or if you want something less formal, many of my friends go to a weekly frat party. I realize it might not be right for everyone, but I couldn't be happier to be here!

Shawn Hyup

It's a unique experience. I guess some could say it's an acquired taste. But, what do you expect from a university in D.C.? Sure, there are a lot of problems, but when we put things into perspective, I think we do pretty well for ourselves. But, that's not to say that we're perfect either.

WILLIAM

It is aesthetically beautiful campus, small, but beautiful. There are a lot of opportunities to express yourself, not just as an individual but to join groups with like-minded beliefs. There has never been a dull moment, whether it is the party scene or academically. The freshman work ethic is very tough and the adjustment from High School is a little different, even if you have taken an AP (I am assuming I did not take one). I am extremely happy to be here and am working very hard to obtain my degree at American University and pursue a career that benefits myself and the community.

Kim

I'm here for the Audio Production major. Even though everyone expects AU to just be centered around International Studies and Political Science, we're actually known for having one of the best audio technology programs in the entire country. We have a full blown recording studio and all the technology for students to learn pro tools and create really amazing songs or sound effects for films. The school's very diverse, you just have to find your place within it. The Greek life wasn't that prominent when I joined AU, but it's grown a lot since then and this years rush class was one of our biggest. Also our campus is about to become a wet campus, so the upper classmen can stay on campus all 4 years if they wish to.

Alexandra

I study CLEG (communications, law, economics and government) at AU. Some take always: huge gay population, people are really politically correct, far left liberals, a lot of entitled rich people. Yet the academics are great as well.

Moira

American University was my dream school for several years before I attended it, and now with one year behind me, I can safely say that I love my university. I will start with the things I love about my university. Three new dorm halls have been created just this year, so the school is expanding. There are six coffee shops on campus, which is very important, in my personal opinion, for study grinds and everything else. The campus is small, meaning it never takes me more than 15 minutes to walk anywhere. There is a wonderful art gallery on campus which is a pleasure to work for and to visit. The professors are also incredible, and very accessible. One of the things I find less appealing are some of the race-related incidents amongst students that have occurred on my campus, but the student body met hatred with protest, and came together en masse to speak for what they believe in.

caleigh

I love the school! The environment is great and I feel at home here. American was my first choice school, and I knew from the second I arrived here that I was going to love it. I love that I can walk to class and see at least a handful of people I know or at least recognize.

Tugba

I think that American University is a good school but it is in no way worth all they hype or the tuition. The cirriculum is challenging enough to stimulate your mind but delivery varies on the professors - who get paid less than elementary school teachers in the surrounding area. Honestly the money that goes into this school with tuition alone should make it more attractive in terms of food and housing however, that is far from actuality. The dorms are not the greatest but they aren’t the worst and the food is questionable at times (most times). There are racially charged incidents that take place at least once a semester for the past two years now- of which there has barely been action taken by the head of the school (only when it garnered media attention) and little to no consequence suffered by the guilty parties. The issue pertaining to such incidents has only really added more chairs to the counseling center - in other words, nothing really got done despite the protests and calls for action. This school, like many others boast diversity on their pamphlet but make no moves to really step in and assist their students of color. Furthermore, the “financial aid” they offer is great when your a freshman (if your basically destitute) but if your parents or parent has a stable job, don’t expect to receive a cent. They expect you to pay full tuition no matter how many times you or your parent tells them you can’t afford it. And if your lucky enough to get them to work with you, they WILL mess up by either giving you incorrect information, charging you out of no where or more than your set amount. My experience with this institution is not necessarily indicative of others experiences however, this is what I have seen and gone through.

Madisen

American University is definitely a good school to be focused on academics at. The professors all seems very caring and regularly encourage students to create relationships with them by visiting office hours. Socially, Greek life is somewhat more important than expected, but there are other ways to get involved and make friends. There are not very many food options on campus, but the surrounding neighborhood and city in general has lots of grocery and restaurant options. The most prominent theme is the need to have some sort of money saved up so that you can enjoy the activities that students are often participating in off campus, whether it be going out on the weekends, grabbing dinner off campus, or enjoying the shopping in D.C. or the surrounding states. However, people are generally inclusive and as long as you put the effort into being outgoing, it is pretty easy to start making connections and have a good time.

Alexis

I'm very glad to be a part of the AU community! I feel welcome in all of my classes, and my professors are always willing to talk about new and exciting things happening in the public history field. I have met so many wonderful people and I am very glad that I made the decision to go to school at American University.

Morgan

I love the location and opportunities AU provides to its students. The school spirit is great and the staff are wonderful and helpful. The food is amazing and the placement of the school in DC is amazing!! There are hundreds of internship and job opportunities in the city. 10/10 would recommend.

Logan

American University is a college that you attend for the academics and city rather than the party scene or sports. Our sports team are relatively decent, but they do not excel like some of the other well known colleges. The housing and food on campus is quite lackluster and at times it can be quite annoying.

Overall, I love being a student at American University. There are so many opportunities to get involved and find your niche. I love how students are encouraged to pursue their dreams by faculty, administration, and other students. While sometimes the pettiness can get in the way and meal plans become boring, people at American are dedicated to helping you do your best.

Faith

I'm a freshmen and I've really enjoyed it here. I'm in a living learning community which has definitely added to my experience. As a result of the community, I have a read-made cohort to engage with. I think the food at TDR is great. I'm a vegetarian and I've had no problems, though some disagree. In terms of social life - I go to parties less often than I did in high school but that's because frat parties do not appeal to me that much. Though, if that is what you want, there is not shortage of parties to attend. There is drinking, but if you don't want to partake, there's really no pressure. AU is known for being highly political and that has rung true. Overall, I think that AU is an excellent school and that the professors truly care.

Stella

American University is a school for fast-paced, politically active individuals. Though the location isn't in the heart of the city, there's typically something going on. The main focuses of the school is Political Science, International Relations, and Business. The arts and science programs tend to lack appeal, though. Overall, it's an amazing school that gives you a small town feel in a big city.

I love this school. The opportunities here are like no other, and being in the greatest city in the world only adds to the plethora of internships available to students in the district.

Anonymous

A lot of people, myself included, transfer. I'll start positive. DC is phenomenal. The campus is (for the most part) cute, and they keep it well. The professors are great, there are some really cool ones who genuinely care about students. In stark contrast, the administration is negligent beyond belief and doesn't give a shit about students, (at so many other schools, the students who harassed the black women on campus would've been expelled without question.) On-campus housing is awful. Was in a forced triple in a room barely big enough for two. This is the case for most freshman. I didn't even have a closet. It affected my health greatly, physically and mentally as I need time alone to recharge, and the three of us got sick easily being in such cramped quarters. It was barely acceptable in retrospect. To make it all better, the Housing and Dining staff were some of the rudest people I've met. Food options are limited and not that good. My friends and I used to say (half jokingly,) if you went to TDR and didn't feel sick afterwards, did you really go to TDR? Individually the students are nice, but as a whole they're very one-sided and extremely liberal. Nothing wrong with this...but it's to the point they're hypocritical and sometimes counteractive. They preach acceptance, and yet they scorn conservative students, or anyone who doesn't think exactly as they do. Politics are unavoidable. If you're a politically inclined student it's great. Studying anything other than poli-sci/IR? (Esp. arts/sciences?) Good luck. It's even obvious by looking at the buildings on campus which departments receive the most funding and attention. The College of Arts and Sciences building is...meh. SIS? Gorgeous. Also, if you're into a lot of school spirit, this is is nor place for you. I appreciate AU for all that it did give me, but ultimately, the school looks better on paper.

jake

American University is a complete fit for me. While I may be on a gap year, I can say that I am a proud incoming freshman to go to such an amazing university. Everyone that I met is extremely friendly and the facilities that I saw are maintained very well. The on campus housing and food I have found to be the lowest parts of the school but that can be said for most universities. The housing felt pretty cramped especially to fit two or even upwards of three people. The food seemed like typical college food that I hear about. It is enough to keep the student population fed but it wasn't terribly exciting. The nearby shops, extracurricular activities and off campus housing are very good. The nearby shops are very nice and provide wonderful souvenirs for tourists and mothers alike. The extracurricular activities are very interesting and well rounded. They provide a very interesting space for students to interact and offer a wide range of activities. Lastly, the campus facilities, class sizes, and academics are second to none. The campus facilities are stunning and are top notch. The swimming facility and gym are everything that an athlete are novice weightlifter can ask for. There is everything you need and then some. The class sizes are very small and personal. This makes class time very engaging and exciting because the teacher doesn't have to account for thousands of kids during class. At American University, because of the small class sizes, students are able to ask questions and get answers fast. Finally, the academics produce some of the best lawyers and political scientists in the world. Their academics are some of the best I've seen and is the perfect fit for me. If I could I would fully rate American University at 4.5 stars but because I can't do half, I'll round up.

Honestly, it's the school for me. That being said, it's not for everyone. It's not always serious but you will become more interested by politics just by being here, and DC is not your average college town. You are expected to get an internship and find something to be passionate about, and it's not that hard to find something.

Morgan

As a current freshman, I have almost completed one semester. Thus far, my professors are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. The campus is also well kept, and beautiful. The size is intimate, but not tiny, and perfect for the city. Students are extremely active and you're in a beautiful city that encourages you to go out and explore.

Alea

Love it!

Chase

While my choice in coming to American University was definitely a last-minute decision, it was not one that I took lightly. I agonized for months if I wanted to leave my home state to attend my dream school. However, I finally made the right decision. I had visited and toured the campus before and felt the energy, which was what made me fall in love with the place. Now that I'm here full-time, I know that energy never dies. In a typical day I will recognize maybe 10 different languages and converse in 2 or 3, talk with peers from my home of NC to CA to London and Spain and Nairobi, meet with highly distinguished professors of amazing backgrounds, sometimes even running into our president Sylvia Burwell or any of the many distinguished scholars we are considered a home to, and travel into DC for volunteer work or just for fun! I'm quite proud to be a student of American University. Go Eagles!

Will

I love it here. It has been an amazing experience thus far and has truly given me the chance to express myself as an individual in society and in the community. There is always something to do on-campus, especially on the quad when it is sunny. Even if there is rain, there is plenty to do indoors. I love the on-campus feel and the ability to go off campus whenever I feel like it. The closeness to the city is perfect but still far enough to feel like a suburban campus.

Tiger

AU is a place for active students. Don't come here if you're expecting to slack off, and don't come here if you just want to go to college for parties. We care about things, and we do something about it. We take ourselves seriously. If you don't take yourself seriously, you won't fit in.

Kelly

As a transfer student, my short time at AU has been great! The professors are very accessible and definitely want to see their students succeed, the food is nothing to complain about, and there are plenty of resources available when needed. There are plenty of activities, events, and student organizations available and open to new members. Overall, I believe AU is a great institution.

Jordan

American University is a school with unbeatable academics and phenomenal facilities in a to-die-for location. Not too close nor too far from downtown D.C., it's a perfect location for classes. My one complaint would be the number of racist displays on campus (at least one happens each semester). It's unexcusable.

Emma

I had never visited American University, nor any college I applied to as a matter of fact, before attending the summer orientation. The day before the orientation began, shortly after getting off the plane (as I am from Texas) my family and I wondered the deserted campus and I fell in love. My mom could not help but smile as she saw me in awe of my new school, knowing as mom’s do that this was the place for me. I had that good ol’ gut feeling that AU was where I belonged. Now that I have completed my first year at American University, I could not be happier with the choice that I made. For starters, the campus atmosphere and structure is ideal for me. There is a lively presence with activities constantly going on. There are students and faculty of all backgrounds that bring a unique energy to the campus and the opportunity to learn about different cultures and lifestyles. This diversity is exactly what I wanted to experience at school and I love it. The resources on campus are pretty good as well but could serve to be improved upon. The gym and library are favorites as is the Batelle building home to the College of Arts and Sciences. The food is okay however more options would be appreciated as someone who is seeking to eat healthier and not just eat burgers and pizza. The classes themselves have proven to be well organized and really interesting. Even though most kids that go to AU are not going for a psychology degree, there are many options for me in terms of classes and opportunities especially in regards to internships. Opportunities for internships were very important to me and as a first semester freshman I had an internship I had heard about through psychology advisors. Not only is the school great but the location is as well. I love going to school in our nation’s capital. It is very different then my home in Dallas and that is exactly what I wanted from my college experience. While there may be some little flaws at American University, they are apparent and problematic at most schools. However, these flaws are overlooked by the great experience and education I am obtaining.

Madison

American University is an excellent academic school with a great social aspect. Politically active students in everything and at the same time does not force anything on anyone. Very safe, great professors, awesome students. AU is a great place to live and learn. in Washington DC it is ideal for the culture, the scene, the people. There is always something going on and very much an active campus, both inside its boundaries and outside.

Oksana

I like American University, that's the place where I've got a lot of new friends, new knowledge, and just a life experience as a 15 years old student. I like it enough to fight for my place there, that's the reason why I look for scholarships to pay my tuition, because like a student from family with four children, from the country that is in the state of war I lost my ability to pay for tuition completely myself. Thank you!

AU is a fantastic school, academically speaking (especially for IR and political science majors). With that being said, there are several non-academic aspects of the school that irritate me. The food here is pretty bad and the people that work at the food places around campus are some of the rudest people I have ever encountered. Although AU is in DC, it takes about 45 minutes to get downtown because you have to first wait for the shuttle, which takes a while, and then get on the metro, which also takes a while. There is also a serious mouse problem in Anderson Hall. There have been several mice encounters in my room.

Carly

American University is truly one of a kind, this year we were in the top 5 politically active schools across America and with us being an extremely political school, that meant a lot and encouraged more activity from students and professors alike. The Facilities could be better, however they are in the process of renovating dorms and buildings to improve the lives of students inside and outside the classroom. Academics could not be any better, we have top notch professors in every area that are always available and always ready to help students with anything. The location of American is far enough away from the city that you don't have the hustle and bustle around you 24/7, however with our metro passes provided by the school we are just a short bus, metro, uber, or walk away from any government building, shopping area, or anything else that peaks your interest in our nations capitol!

Kamilah

American university is a great school. Their are so many campus resources available and easily accessible for the students. I personally enjoy and take advantage of the metro card that is included with the tuition as well as the language center available during very convenient hours.

I love American University! Since the sciences are still small here, the class sizes are too. I’m so glad that I picked AU because you still have quick access to the city without dealing with the downsides to city life. It’s super easy to involve yourself on campus if you make even the slightest effort.