Assumption College

« See more reviews of Assumption College

If I were to be able to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that it really does matter where you go to college. When I was in high school, I did not really care about hwere I ended up. I just applied to four random colleges, that I never even looked at, and called it a day. I would tell myself to look at colleges and only apply if I really, truly, liked it. I would also mention all the things that I hated about Assumption and why it is a terrible choice for me. Also, I would say that I should take the proccess seriously because I do not want to feel like I wasted a year of college that I could have not wasted somewhere else.

Nicole, pay attention! You've never had to pay for your education however coming fall every decision you make is going to cost you money! If you decided you're too tired for homework that's money coming from your pocket. You may not think that learning algebra is going to help your future, but it will make your college life easier. Keep your head in the game! Listen to the words you teacher's are telling you, they mean something. They will help you next year. Do your homework...everyday! It's called discipline and you will need it next year. Don't let your occasional laziness keep you down. Your capable of so much if you merely believe in yourself.

I think the most valuable experience that I have taken advantage of at Assumption is being involved in the campus community. In my first year I took the first opportunity to become a student leader, and that was running for an elected position on the Student Government Association. I also became an Admissions Ambassador where I give weekly tours to prospective students. Bening involved in the campus community has allowed me to truly make a difference to the students on campus as well as develop respective relationships with my peers, advisors, and administrators. And to me, the lasting relationships that I am developing now are extremely valuable.

If I could go back in time, there is a lot of advice I would give myself. The most important advice I would give myself however is to be extremely open minded going into college. I would tell myself to be open to meeting all kinds of people, and to be open to exploring things I wouldn't necessarily think I was interested in. I would tell myself that college is a place for descovering yourself and your passions in life so if you go in and just stick to the things you know and stay in your cofort zone, you are not going to get the best experience. College is not about being comfortable. It is about taking risks and finding who you really are.

If I could talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to stay focus on my school work and that fun and games can happen whenever and grades are actually really important. Having a good GPA is beneficial in so many ways and it should be my goal to maintain a good one. I would also tell myself to lower my pride and ask for help when it is needed, academic tutoring is actually really helpful and I would advise myself to go to a tutor when I am struggling. I would tell myself that transitioning takes work and a strong mindset. I would also tell myself to become involved in as much as possible but focus on your school work first!

Always visit the colleges before deciding to go there. Don't take a guided tour, wander around by yourself because you will be able to see the things that interest you. Talk to the students on the campus. Usually you can get a good feel for the type of people that go there by their response. If they talk to you and answer your questions freely, it is usually a good sign for the people there. College is what you make of it. The most important thing for students to do is experience everything. Go into it with an open mind and be ready to see and do new things. If you don't like the things you try, oh well, you can try something else.

I would tell myself to go to a school where loans would not be an issue. I received a full ride to a state school and did not attend because I didn't think state schools were "good" schools. In the end, most people end up receiving higher degrees, where the name of the school on it is much more important. I want to be a teacher, so a state school would have been fine, and I wouldn't be so worried about paying when I got out of school all the time. I would have told myself to apply to more schools also, especially since all the schools I applied to were very similar . I also did not apply to any "reach" schools, which I regret.

Dear Lina, I know you working hard on your application. I have to tell you something. Stop appling school when you reach at 4 schools. You applyed to 16 school because want to. But you do not need to apply 16. You only get in to 10. I warn you. Also do not apply to Harvard you never finish the aplication. Pick Assumption College because you know people there. When you get to college, study your notes everyday it will help you alot. You will taking a lot of science courses so be on your toes. There alot of writing, and I know you hate writing. You will grow of loving in writing. So good luck Lina Your old buddy self, Lina

If I could go back in time and give high school self advise, I would tell myself to expand my horizons. Yes, staying close to family and friends is a comfort but that limited my list of colleges down to very expensive New England colleges. If I had expanded my horizons as a senior in high school and looked into schools farther down south, I could have found just as nice, if not nicer institutions with much more affordable costs. Making the trasnsition from living at home with your family to being at college and living on your own is hard. By choosing a college you absolutely love, that trasnsition will not be as difficult.

If I could give myseld one piece of advice it would be to not worry about what others think about you and worry about yourself and being successful. Coming from a college prep school the transition into college was easy class wise but the social scene was hard. I worried too much about fitting in and lost focus on my school work. If I could go back a year, I would tell myself that being yourself is what will help you fit in. I would let myself know that focusing on school is more important than trying to find a group to hang out with. If you need to change youself to fit in then they are not worth your time.