Sioux Falls, SD

Augustana University

« See more reviews of Augustana University

If I could go back, I would tell myself to stop procrastinating. During my senior year I took my sweet time to settle on the school that I would attend in the fall. When I finally chose Augustana in mid-May, it was too late to get involved in a lot of great things that at the time I didn't think would be important to me, but now I miss a lot. I didn't apply for the Civitas honors program. I also didn't try to get involved in any of the sports here. I didn't think I would miss playing volleyball or being part of the track team, but now I miss team sports more than I miss anything. If I could go back, I'd say "Self, get it together. Find out what it takes to try out for the volleyball or track team. Apply for Civitas. You have nothing to lose!"

My college experience has given me maturity and logic in way I didnt realize I had. Though I am changing majors and colleges, I dont regret my decision to attend FIDM in the slightest. I have learned to survive on my own in a unknown environment, and how to take care of not only myself, but others around me. I am now strong, independant, and vibrant. My creative abilities have been hightened beyond measure, and that is something I can take with me anywhere. There is nothing I cant achieve or succeed at. This college experience has been wonderful and so much more then I could have ever imagined. The most important thing I learned while at FIDM, is that dreams are reachable. No matter how scary or impossible they feel. The sky is the limit.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to really do a lot of research on what the best college would be to go to. You spend a lot of money for college, so you don't want to waste your money or time at a college that's not right for you. Augustana doesn't have a good photography program, that's what you will want to do with your life later, so look into a school that DOES have a good photography program. Work hard in college and don't focus so much on your social life because it's not as important as your education. You're smart enough to do anything you want to do for a living so go out there an make the most of your experiences and work hard! You can achieve anything if you put your mind to it!

I would advise my high school self to apply for more scholarships and save more money. College is more expensive than I originally thought. I would also tell myself to be completely honest when taking the survey for the roommate assignment. Another piece of advice I would give is to work harder on my people skills. Not only will I need it for making connections in college, but also in the line of work for which I am in training. I would also stress the fact that taking dual credit classes is a very good idea; those classes count as college credits and are easier in high school. My final piece of advice would be not to worry as much and try to have more fun. However, I know what I’m like so I doubt I would listen to myself on that last bit.

First of all, know that everything is going to be okay. This transition will be a difficult one for you as you may not be as ready to leave home as others, but you will eventually be comfortable. I know your goal is to get a 4.0 in college, but change that so that your goal is to do your best. It's okay to get a "B" if you did your best, and getting an "A" in college is not as easy as it was in high school. Most of all, have some fun! Try your best to be open to hanging out with friends while also sticking to your morals. I promise, you are strong enough to not fall into the trap of alcohol and sex. I know it doesn't feel this way, but you have it more figured out than you think, and just remember what grandma always told you: "It'll be fine".

Given the opportunity to approach my high school self I would love to tell her that no matter what my final college decision is, that I will be happy and find my place in the community wherever I go. In the midst of my senior year I saw my college decision as one of the hardest and most important of my life. I now realize that no matter what my final choice had been, I would have found a place to fit in and be happy with wherever I was. Understanding now how I can make the best of any situation I would remind my high school self that wherever the wind blows me, that I will land in a nice place; the surroundings may vary but I will always be the same person at heart and will find myself in any city, any state, and at any school.

I have learned alot about growing up this year. Not enough but alot. I would tell myself to start paying more attention to my own life. Learn how to organize my own time. Understand what I have got to get done and what I want to get done and make it all happen. Juggling everything is hard. We dont realize that while mom is in charge, but it is. I would put more thoughts into everything. Think more about what comes next, or if there is going to be enough time? Scheduling classes, and work, and football practice, lifting, working and work study has proven to be very challenging. I wish I had paid more attention to all of those things my mom always told me to think about. I have to say it, "Pay attention to mom!!"

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself, do not worry about the future or the past, worry about the present. I feel like I spent a lot of time overthinking what I did in the past and what I still had to do in the future, which created some hardships for the present. Once I got to college, I finally realized that all the worrying had done absolutely nothing for me. Now knowing this, I have learned that I need to focus on the present and the challenges that are presented in front of me. If I worry about things that I have no control over, they problems will just make the present worse. Knowing what I know now, this will help continue and finish my education at Augustana College in Sioux Falls.

The biggest advice I would give my high school self is to keep looking for scholarship opportunities. Although it is perhaps the most tedious part of the transition, going to college is expensive and every little bit helps. Additionally, make sure in your classes you are learning to learn as well as learning to get good grades. Part of becoming an expert on something involves a progressive building of your knowledge that is easily sabotaged if you are not retaining information due to poor study habits. As an addendum, don't forget to be patient and pleasant when looking for friends in college; although they may not be present right away, if you continue to look you'll find the kind of people you are looking for.

Lauren, as a college athlete, your time is going to be limited. People have been telling you for awhile that things get busier in college, but none of them balanced a sport with classes either. It will seem overwhelming at first, but you can make it. Just get your priorities straight as soon as you get there. You are there to get an education and track is a bonus. Get school work before you go hang out with friends, because they eat up time quickly. You need sleep as an athlete too, so don't stay up all hours of the night. You can't study the same way in college as you did in high school. It's ok to study a week before a test, and it is highly encouraged. Don't procrastinate. It will bite you in the butt.