Sioux Falls, SD

Augustana University

« See more reviews of Augustana University

The best advice I could give in finding a college is to observe how well the administration treats the student from the very beginning. In searching, finding a college that is known for its academics and that fits the area of study that you will most likely go into is best advised. In looking into the social life of a college, carefully observe what the school does in its spare time as a whole and find a few people who go to the college and ask them about the things you are interested in having. Making the most of the college experience is to just be open-minded and ready for what life can throw at you. Be responsible and find who you truly are, not what you happen to fall into when you first get to a college.

What I have learned from college is to enjoy life and be more open and outgoing. Yes school is very important and that is very apparent here but also there are things on campus to do from swing and ball room dancing to movies to toga dances. There are so many things to do which is nice because you work so hard at school it's necessary to have balance in your life. I never thought I would take swing dancing lessons and it was a blast. I'm so glad I did it otherwise I would've missed out on something I actually like. Without all the activities promoted by the school I would probably sit in my room and study all day and night but now I'm brave enough to try different things which has helped me figure out who I am.

I have found myself and my lifelong goals. I went into college not sure of what I wanted to do with my life, but through the classes and career help I was able to narrow my options and choose an educational path that is both engaging and fun for me. I have also found some lifelong friends at college from varying backgrounds and from different majors. They have introduced me to many activities that I now find the most enjoyable and wish I would have known about sooner. I believe my college experience has changed me into the person I am now, and I've definitely matured at college and accepted myself and others more than I ever have in the past. It has brought me closer to others and closer to myself.

Augustana College places a high value on community. When I came here, I expected to maybe find a few close friends. Instead, I have met some of the best people I know-- and the college has given me the tools to realize who is in my true community. My community includes everyone around me; my friends and teachers, the people of Sioux Falls, and my neighbors around the world. Coming to Augie has given me a more enriched world view and has allowed me to look at the world from different perspectives. Where Augustana lacks in size, it makes up for in heart. The students here care about each other and the world around them, and that's one value that I will take with me for the rest of my life.

I am attending a liberal arts college, meaning, I take classes in all fields of study, not just in my intended major. This, I believe, has given me great strength and knowledge to accept and realize that the music education major I am striving for is the right decision. Taking courses that span the map give me a sense of personality, understanding, and intelligence, and I feel smarter for having a good grasp on all types of knowledge, not just how to teach music. I can use my writing skills outside of school, my communication and philosphy skills outside of school, my science and history knowledge outside of school, and I can definitely use my knowledge and skill of music, outside of school.

The advice that I would give myself would be that I should of pushed harder back then. I should of been more active so that I could carry that enthusiam with me to school. I would of looked at more schools even though I am proud to be a bronco. I would of done more to get to know this school better. I was in FSU Upward Bound and I am also attending Fayetteville State Now. I should got out and experienced the campus more and took a lot of oppurtunities that were given to me. I would of knew more people and I would of enjoyed my first semester here so much more. I would of focused more on academics and done all that I could of. I would just change my whole aspect about college and the easy life.

If I could go back as a high school senior, knowing what I know now, I would give myself the advice that school that is the most important thing ever! I would also know that leaving school to work full time because the money is descent is not going to be the case for long and the labor tends to be tuff on the body. It is worth getting into school focusing on the goal of graduating and sticking with it. Another piece of advice would be that I need to be at every class everyday. I have learned that is the most succesfull part of college but when leaving high school everyone thinks I can miss class its college they dont take roll. Missing one class in college is equivilent to missing one week.

Most colleges are notable for different programs that they offer. Know which schools in your area are notable for what programs and decide whether these match up with your interests. It is best to think ahead and go to a college that is known for its program in the area you wish to study. This both ensures a better chance of finding a job after college (as more places will want to hire you) and/or allows you to be noticed by Grad schools which will offer you internships, and, in many cases, free schooling. Money is always an issue, but if you got to a school known for its program in your area, you are likely to get back many times more after schooling what you put in before and during.

It has been valuable to attend college because it has helped me understand the value of life and realize who I truly am as an individual. It was not until I was pushed to my limits that I saw what I was capable of doing. With the support from professors and the friends I have met here, I have reached goals I never thought was possible. They have also helped me to understand that life is too short to sit and wait for someone else to make the change I wish to see in the world. If I want something to change I must do something about it. The expeiences here at a liberal college has allowed me to experience new activities, strengthen my faith, and strive for my dreams without limits.

make sure you know what is expected out of you for that college. Beaware of everything you need to do to maintain scholarships that you have recieved. Socialize and get to know people, build a support system for yourself, in case things get tough or if you want a break from your studies. Professors are your friends, don't be afriand to visit them during their office hours to ask a question abou class or have them look over a paper that you have written. No one wants to see you fail, the only person that is stopping you from secceeding is yourself. Do not be afriad to say NO to your friends and say YES to studying, there will be other oppurtunities to go out with your friends.