Austin Community College District

« See more reviews of Austin Community College District

If I had the opportunity to give advice to the person I was as a high school senior, I would suggest taking the time to discover what I really wanted from my education. Going to college simply because it's expected, or because high school is over, is not likely to lead to the greatest benefit. I think it's important for students to take the time to explore, through work, travel, volunteering, reading, and other life experiences. It was only as an adult many years past high school that I really understood what type of education and career would give me the ability to earn a living doing something I love. The advice to take time to explore before selecting a college or university might sound risky to parents who are very invested in seeing their children make the best choices for their work and education. It might even make new graduates a bit nervous. However, I've discovered in my own life and through observing young people make the transition from high school to college, that education is much more effective and exciting when the student has real clarity and knows what she loves and wants in life.

I would tell myself to choose nursing as my major because many years will be wasted taking unnecessary classes due to constantly changing my major. I would tell myself to start off at Austin Community College to get all the core requirements out of the way because all colleges and universities have similar core requirements and it will be significantly cheaper than completing them at a university. Also, start applying for as many scholarships as possible and look into grants. Student loans start adding up and it will not take long before you are neck deep in student debt. Take part in more volunteer activities because it will better increase your chances of receiving scholarships and being accepted into the university you wish to transfer too. Do not get behind on reading and studying for your classes because it makes life more stressful than it needs to be. If possible, get ahead on reading and review your notes every day to keep the information fresh in your head. Remember to stay positive and focus on the day when all of your work finally pays off and you finally receive your BS in Nursing!!!

I would tell myself is the most important thing to do in highschol is to have respect for your time in highschool. Looking back I was always under the assumption that I could always finish everything tomorrow. I would also say take advantage of you teachers knowledge ask questions about your future. what to expect in the working world ,what is your talents are and how to excel in them . Also find out what courses you didn't do well in throughout your highschool years and try to buckle down and focus on those subjets. Enjoy the moments you have with your fellow students because in some aspects this will be the last time you may see them again. I would encourage myself to take a summer course in college math before starting my first year in college. or any other course that I needed to comprehend better before starting college. Since I went away to college I would began to organize my priorities in accordance with my studies. I would set up a strict schedule and stick to it as it pertains to my studying time. I would also make sure to be participate in class room discussions

Don't worry about working during college. Apply for financial aid and concentrate on your studies. If financial aid runs out then apply for scholarships. Then always know you will have the option for loans which you'll have to pay back once you graduate. Don't stress about having to take loans out because it?s a great investment. When you need assistance with your studies doesn't be hold back on using the tools that the university has given you that you've already paid for with your tuition. Never give up because when you're done with school that is the biggest achievement you'll make in your life. Getting your degree will open more doors than ever. You'll have far more options than anyone without a degree. Don't postpone getting your degree at a later date because it's always hard going back to school. Continue on with your studies and you'll be a success. You are very smart and you'll make it through the toughest times while you're in school. You'll meet people and remember everyone in that college is in the same boat. Help each other through this.

Tutoring and group help sessions are usually a necessity when trying to maintain an A average. Not only is the idea of picking which class one wishes to go to, it can lead to a student being dropped from a class without a refund. There are many middle-aged adults going back to college to get their degree at the same time the 18-year-old college student is going to start his or her degree. Cutting class and taking make-up tests is no longer an option as it might have been in past high school experiences. Adapting to the reality of college is not an easy task. The inexperienced mind of a young adult can often play tricks on that person. Students have to learn to use their time wisely, and that last minute cramming will not cut it. A student must adapt quickly if they wishe to succeed. College life can be very stressful, a complete opposite of what many imagine. New students often find it hard to fit in with their fellow students. Often, students are not in classes with their friends, but with other students who sometimes can be old enough to be their parents.

As a highschool student my life always revolved around friends, sports, and fun. Most of my worries came from being able to just get up to that 70% average grade, that way I would be eligible to play soccer. Throughout highschool I was never really into school and never really cared much about academics. My parents were pretty much happy with the fact that I passed my classes, as long as I graduated, that was fine with them. Towards the end of my junior year in highschool I finally started to open my eyes and realize that their was a life after highschool, something needed to be done. So starting my senior year I decided to give up soccer and NJROTC, in order to focus more on my academics. Although my coach really hated me for this I knew it was the right decision, it had to be done. So I took on a couple of AP classes and started thinking about taking SATS and worrying about college. I wish I wouldo've tried harder in highschool, if I could go back, Id tell myself to, "focus in school, worry about my future, prepare myself, it only gets harder."

The idea of having the chance to go back in time in order to let myself know something then that I know now sounds like a chance of a life time to most people. However, given the chance I would gladly pass it up. Yes, I made mistakes my senior year as I made the transition into a college student and made more as I lived through my first semester in college; however, I wouldn't want to take away the event of making any of those mistakes. Wanting to go back and make myself aware of exactly what is about to come my way in life would also admit having regrets. I regret nothing in life. I make my own mistakes in life but am forgiven by my True and Holy God. He leads me through the valley of death in order to reach the mountain of salvation. I think every fresh college student needs to make mistakes on their journey in order to truely live. Living through learning through mistakes makes us able to love stronger as people. So maybe I would talk to myself my senior year in high school and tell myself to love everyone unconditionally.

The advice I would give to myself is to slow down and smell the roses. Take your time in deciding what your major is. It is important to continue on right out of highschool. It is ok to start with the core subjects. Do not put so much pressure on your self and study hard. The outside world will always be there. Once you leave the nest you cannot go back. Everything changes and so will you. Stay at home as long as you can. Use your senior summer to go to Europe. Take a part time job but participate in all school functions. Go to the prom, homecoming games and dances. Try to live in the present tense and be happy. If you feel out of place tell someone. Enjoy your youth and do not try to be an adult before your time. Take care of your health and stay away from smoking and drugs. Also remember we are the company we keep. It is ok to not be popular. Be true to yourself and grow spiritually by having some sort of religion in your life. Honor your father and mother, count your blessings, be respectful and say thanks!

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the advice i would give myself was to prepare more for college, because when i was a senior i was undecided to my career goals. Now that i know how college is I think what i could have done better and that is gone directly to a university instead of community college, but what stop me was not knowing my major. When i first went to the community college i was still undecided but i was only taking basic classes and was thinking of one major to another, wasting my time and money. My advice would be first, prepare for what major i want and that i would like and prepare myself to get the best job , second, decide what university or college i want to go and third getting help with financial aid.Today im preparing to get my associate degree and know my major, by now i know that i could have finished my degree by now and have started a job, but that hasn't stop me from getting what i want and that is a better education for my future.

?I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger?, is a lyric we can all empathize with. However, while the idea of time travel seems glamorous and sexy, the human condition still applies. I could tell high school Aaron that the world doesn?t owe him a single thing and there is no need to impress anyone, ever. Would he listen though? That?s the question. As if the song ?Ooh La La? by The Faces was the testament to regret, which is ultimately the reason anyone would want to go to the past in the first place. Regreting our experiences of growing up and occasionally failing. Is that something we all desperately want to throw away so badly? Pain, suffering and mistakes are crucial to growth There would be no counteracting moments of joy and pride if we didn?t feel like a worthless sack of pity sometimes. Those sometimes are just as special and priceless as the highest highs a person can reach within themself. Therefore, if I was able to talk to the old me, I wouldn?t say a damn thing.