Austin Community College District

« See more reviews of Austin Community College District

If I could go back and talk to myself as a highschool senior I woould tell my self to go to a community college while I was still in highschool. That it would have saved myself time and money. I would have also told myself to start looking for scholarships, and finical aids. I would tell myself that I needed to study more and take harder class, and go out more. I should go out have fun with my friends or just by myself, instead of staying home and wating t.v, every night. I would tell myself that being a senior is fun and hard work that college is hard and that once I walk on that stange that life will be different. I can choose the classes I want for my degree plain, but I sould also take class that are fun and can simulate my mind too. I will tell myself that having a part time job is good , but that studying and passing my test are more important that getting paid 6:25 an hour. That I sould take my harder classes in the spring and make sure that my teacher is fair. Also to play.

Don't write off the scholars. Don't skip out on taking the SAT. Don't keep that job at Dairy Queen. Don't move to California with that boy. Don't assume you deserve the abuse he put you through. Don't assume you deserve the abuse you've put yourself through. Don't keep biting the hands that try to feed you. Don't assume there's no hope left. Don't disregard your talents. Don't lose sight of the sunrise through the darkness of the night. When you see that sliver of light peeking over the horizon, run for it. Soak yourself in it. Know that you are not alone. Know that you are only as worthless as you think you are. Know that it will get better. Know that you will need to keep working for it to get better. Know that work will be fulfilling; know that your pursuit of knowledge is nothing to be ashamed of. Know that one day soon, you will be full of so much love that you will dedicate your life and your overactive mind to spreading it. Know that it will be okay. Know your own strength.

If I could go back in time, specifically to my Senior year in high school, I would tell myself to apply to all the Scholarships I can! College is so expensive and having low income parents, no savings, no job at the time, apply, apply, apply. The one thing I definitely regret is not puting all the effort into getting things done! I would tell my self to take as many AP classes that I can! I would tell myself to go to the campus I'm planning to attend and get the counselors there to show me a plan of what classes I would need to take to accomplish my goals in the least amount of time! And I would scream and tell myself DO NOT TAKE A YEAR OFF!!! It takes longer to come back and your already behind a year from the prospect year of your college graduation. Instead of taking four years to graduate you are already going to take five years. That's if you don't take more time off. I would also tell myself to not be intimidated by college because you learn to become part of it! You adjust!

I wish that I could have talked to myself even earlier than that so I could have avoided taking the long route to my desired school. However, if I could have talked to myself senior year, I would have said, "Sophie, don't lose sight of what is important and that is your education and your future. Stay confident and you will be just fine. Do not give up, you will be amazing." Then I would have said, "flashcards are about to become your best friend", "the first year at home is going to be rough but once you leave you're going to miss mom", "double check the FIRST EXAM DATE in your planner for second semester psychology ", "stop working at Texadelphia... it isn't going to get better", and "don't you put that dark red shirt in the laundry with everything white that you own". That about sums it up. Senior Sophie seemed to have a nice transition, though. Finally, I would conclude with something sweet like "knock 'em dead babe", or maybe just "you got this". That's really all she needs.

There are few things that will add to your life experience like going to college. However, you need to ask yourself what college means to you and why you want to go. If the answer to this question involes being pressured into it for one reason or another, I would strongly urge you to take a break from school and revisit the idea when you are ready to make your education your top priority. You do not need to know what you want to be when you grow up before you start taking classes. Do not let the unknown discourage you from continuing your education. Take a few classes that peak your curiosity until you find something that inspires you enough to move forward. Try not to be motivated by what makes more sense, but rather what makes you happy. A degree is a degree and it will look good to prospective employers regardless of the major. You will have a better chance at success in your life if you love what you do, so study something you love and do not let others get you down.

Look dude, High school has been fun hasn't it? My two biggest pieces of advice I can give to you are to be really frugal with all the money you will be receiving and to not slack on your work and stay focused! You're going to be blessed with some good cash from financial aid and from the jobs you're going to have. The best thing you can do is to spend what you need and save as much as you can. Once you transfer its going to give you the leg up you need to get yourself through a long semester. Next thing, and the most important is to focus on those studies. Don't play around and spend long nights procrastinating. Take advantage of all the resources and talk to people. You're going to make some great friends so utilize them. If you don't do this you're going to end up in a situation that will take far longer than what you think to come out of. You're going to have fun because you know how to have fun. Just tone it down just a little bit. Good luck!!

I would first tell myself to wait on having children, because it made everything much more difficult while trying to raise a toddler in nursing school. I would take advantage of the vocational and technical training offered in highschool in order to get a job while in college. I would tell my seventeen year old self to not focus on the long term goal and set short-terms in order to remain focus and gain small victories along the way. I would say to look at school tuition rates rather than the party factor or what would be the "cool" place to go. Apply for every scholarship you qualify for, and continue searching out and applying fo them as you go along to cut down on student loans. Only borrow, what you need for your tuition, do not accept the refund. Be very frugal while in school. Seek out your own learning opportunities. Try and find a job within your field of study because it will significantly help you when you graduate and are trying to find a job.

Don't rely on anyone else, not even the advisors and counselors to help you get where you are trying to be. Do not be afraid to ask questions and speak up, it is normal to have insecurities and to feel lost and hopefully there is comfort in that statement alone. It is OK to change your mind, it's your life, change it to fit your needs and desires as musch as you need to. Make friends with advisors and faculty members, if not for their advice, for the recommendation letters you might need later. Take every opportunity you can to volunteer and take advantage of any and all resources available. Most importantly learn something from every class, even the tough ones! Challenge yourself every semester and strive for the "A" everytime, even if you believe it's out of reach. This is when you educate yourself! Keep your eyes open along the way and maybe you'll find a career that makes you happy on the first time, but remember you can always try it again.

Top 5 things I would tell my 18-year old self about college: 5. Take classes that are relevant to real life. While Intro to Poetry may be interesting, you would be better served by taking Accounting 101. 4. Get a good degree. You can't go wrong with math and science. Even if you get a liberal arts degree, take math and science core courses to give yourself options later in life. 3. Don't get credit cards. The offers will come flooding in and it seems like free money but it's definitely too good to be true. 2. Be sure to take care of your physical and mental health. Regular exercise will help your body and your brain be in prime condition for learning and thriving. 1. Go to class! This is the most important factor. I didn't realize at the time how important it is to be in class, immersed in the material, taking notes and absorbing information. Many things will sink in even when you are not paying 100% attention.

If I could go back and give advice to myself or anyone else for that matter, I would tell myself to enjoy being a "kid". Responsibility not just for yourself but for your child is a very hard thing to do. Being a single parent makes that just a little more challenging. I would tell myself to try and work up to my potential. I would somehow convince myself to get an early college start by taking a couple of Jr. College classes during high school. Getting just one step ahead would help out a lot in the beginning of college. After you graduate high school, you become an adult, and with that comes responsibilities that some people just aren't ready to have. Take time to sit back and do your best and try different things in school. Run for senior class president or try getting involved in different clubs/organization. Life only gets better, so enjoy the small moments you have in between being a teenager and becoming an adult.