Ball State University

« See more reviews of Ball State University

The worst thing about Ball State is its location, and its resulting demographics. It is located smack-dab in the middle of the midwest, and does not attract a large amount of diverse students from other cultures. I would love to meet more exchange or foreign students, because there is so much to learn from people from other parts of the world. American students are often-times too narrow minded, and do not get the chance to see what life is like in other areas of Earth. Education is not complete if students can't compare it to something else.

There are two main issues that I have is more with any college or university and not specifically with Ball State University. The cost to attend college has been become so expensive that it is cost prohibitive for many people. Additionally my college expenses are mine to repay, so students have to be prepaired to pay debt for many years. Secondly students must be prepaired to put morework in than they every have before. I was told three hours of studying for each classroom hour. Prepare for the hardest scholastic work of your life.

Honestly, I feel that the on-campus living could use improvement in a lot of areas. The dining system is basically set up in such a way that it's nearly impossible for students NOT to lose money on their meal plans. Hall policies are also not very friendly to individual room situations, especially for students left alone when their room mate moves out or withdrawals from the university. Lastly, the overall cost of on-campus living, in my opinion, is much too high when you consider the overall quality (or lack of) of certain facilities.

The only thing that I can say is the worst thing, which I believe is the same at all colleges/universities is the fact that the increasing costs of the university causes a constant struggle for students to attend including myself. Of course, the administration does all that it can to assist in these issues, but it can still become a strain for the finances being in the economy that we are living with right now. It is something that I think most college students have a problem with.

I believe that the worst thing about my school is the focus of some students to join a fraternity or sorority to be "popular" and wanted. But, once they join the organization, they drink and party in excess. They have a bad reputation of being big partiers and drinkers. I think that this is sad, because I honestly believe that the point of college is to learn and earn a degree in order to pursue a career that will allow you to make a life for yourself and your future family.

The worst thing about Ball State University is the financial aid program here. The scholarship packages offered here are biased towards certain majors and most of the scholarships are given to minorities or people who live in Indiana. It does not seem like financial need or academic esteem plays much of a factor for a student here that needs a scholarship. They seem to help the incoming freshmen a lot, but do not help the students who are already undergraduates very much.

I think the worse thing about school is the lack of diversity. Ball State likes to think that they place a focus on diversity, yet they do not really reach out to hispanic and black communities. The community in which I grew up and graduated high school from was 51% Hispanic, 48% Black and 1% other. Ball State was not a school that was emphasized at my high school and were rarely present during our college fair days.

The one aspect of Ball State Universtiy that I do not like is the cost. BSU is reasonably priced, but students are charged for all sporting events. Instead of having tickets for sale and students being able to choose what sporting events they would like to pay for, the cost of admission for all events is included in the tuition as a dedicated fee and this is unfair for students who are not sports fans.

I consider the lack of seriousness to be the worst thing about Ball State. I hear jokes from professors and students about the bad reputation Ball State has, and I can't believe they don't take it more seriously. I believe in order to change the school's reputation the professors and students should get serious and tell everyone the good about the school, not the bad.

There are very few negative things about Ball State that I can actually think of. The only complaints I have are of the people that drive their motorcycles around at night and make a ridiculous amount of noise. Ball State can really do nothing about that so I can't place blame for that upon the school. I guess that would have to be the worst thing about Ball State.