Ball State University

« See more reviews of Ball State University

Ball State has helped me and made me grow not only in academics but also in life. I came from a high school of 4,000 kids so Ball State felt just right with the class sizes and people on campus. I joined a sorority to meet more people and establish my place in college, little did I know it was the best decision I would make. Greek life has expanded my knowledge of campus, improved my study habits and made me more responsible than ever. I am proud to go to a school where David Letterman graduated at a C average, where our entire campus is on one street, where President Obama opened a campaign office in our University Village and where we have befriended a hotdog vendor who is now a celebrity face on campus. There are just enough kids to meet someone knew each day and few enough to form a close bond. Ball State is not just a school, it's a family.

The best thing about the school are the resources available and how nice and well kept the school is. Ball State is always building and expanding. The new workout facility that they built two years ago is phenominal. The school size is just right. Everything is in walking distance for the most part. You don't have to worry about 40 minute walks on campus. The furthest walk I had while living on campus was no more than 15 min.

Nice school, great atmosphere - clean, well kept, contemporary, nice scenery, nice buildings. I love the environment. I feel many people are friendly! And they way they set up dorms is a great way to meet new friends

It's an okay school, with alot of different attractions. Many places to eat out and hang out. But sometimes it's hard to find a quiet place to study and be alone.

It is really a great school

Probably the best thing about Ball State is that it generally has a very open-minded progressive attitude, emphasizing multiculturalism, diversity, technology, and "real-world" issues. Also, Ball State has a comfortably large campus, not at all confining, with architecture varying from the modest Collegiate Gothic of North Quad to the super-Modern David Letterman Building. There are events and activities for students year-round and plenty of clubs and other organizations, so that students always have fun and engaging ways to spend time out of the classroom. Unfortunately, the campus is the high-point of the city of Muncie, so that, even though things happen all around the city, it's not exactly the epitome of a "college town." When I tell people that I go to Ball State, they seldom are confused about where I'm talking about. Many people, at least in Indiana, know about Ball State and it tends to have a good reputation as one of the best public schools in the state, and, for some fields of study, one of the best in the region (many students from out-of-state come to BSU for majors such as telecommunications). My opinion of the administration is ambivalent. For the most part, the administration seems a relatively invisible force, though some students tend to scrutinize the decisions of President Jo-Ann Gora, mostly when it comes to things like the insufficient removal of ice from walkways in the winter. The experiences I'll always remember from being at Ball State will be those of meeting and spending time with friends, which BSU is really good for, having a large student body and numerous ways to meet and interact with new people. Certainly, the friendships I've made will long outlast my years as a student, as will the memories I'll have and keep.

I actually wasn't entirely sure about Ball State when I first came here. I had wanted to go to Purdue, but missed the deadline for the flight program. It wasn't long, though, before I realized that there was something at BSU for almost anyone and I fell in love with the campus. Although it's constantly under renovation (as it's constantly growing in size and prestige), the parts of campus that construction isn't visible are just gorgeous. And since it sits in the middle of a (large) town, it's not loud, intruding, or cramped. I think the distribution of buildings over campus is almost perfect. It's small enough that you can get from one building to almost any other within the ten to fifteen minutes allotted between class times, with the exception of buildings on the most extreme sides of campus. That being said, a lot of students do choose to take the bus system. I personally think the university could do with one or two more buses. In the middle of the day when it's most busy, the buses are constantly crammed full and don't always come as frequently as they should. There is a lot of school pride at Ball State. I think it stems from our (to me) perfect size. It's small enough that almost everyone knows at least some of the athletes, but yet big enough that we're always competitive in every sport. Albeit, we're usually the underdog, but that makes victories that much sweeter. And if you attend a Ball State football game, the third down chirp is mandatory.

The best thing about Ball State is the relationship between students and professors. Every professor I have had has genuinely cared about whether or not I understood the material and they are always willing to help as long as you communicate with them. I think the small class sizes is a huge part of making this relationship possible. While I love Ball State, the residents of Muncie do not have a very high opinion of the students. it's because of this that there isn't much of a "college town"; the town and the college don't really mesh very well. When you're a student at Ball State, you are a part of huge community that has tons of tiny sub-communities. There are so many different things available for students to get involved with.

Stereotypical would not be a word I would use to describe Ball State University. We have a well diverse group of students who are all striving to achieve their goals and move onto the next steps into their lives. Ball State University has a population of about 20,000 students and of course their are friend groups. However, one of the qualities of our campus is it doesn't really matter how you look or dress everyone is friendly and willing to hang out with each other. I personally will say in my friend group there are jocks, frat boys, stoners, sorority girls, hipsters, and club bangers but we all love to hang out with each other. Each person brings a unique aspect to my friend circle.

I absolutely love Ball State. There are very many kind people and those who aren't kind, aren't an issue. It is nice that everything is so close. It makes me feel close to my peers and educators. At the same time, however, we get the same touring Broadway shows and lecturers as Purdue and IU. The only thing I would change would be the location. Winter weather can get pretty gloomy in Muncie, IN.