Barnard College

« See more reviews of Barnard College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

That all Barnard students are rejects or were rejected from Columbia and went to Barnard. Another is that all Barnard students are homosexual.

I had always thought Barnard girls were supposed to be the upcoming generation of brilliant women working to change the world.

Barnard students are "Columbia rejects". Barnard students are all lesbians. Barnard students are all sexually promiscuous.

lesbians didn't get into columbia, barnard is the "next best thing" what's barnard? ditzy, dumb, and materialistic girls

Pretty girls. Smart girls. No boys

They are all feminists

we are lesbians

The stereotypes are abundant and the most common range from each extreme of the spectrum. On one side, there's the slutty JAP who frequents the fraternities and is usually escorted back to the west side of Broadway by her flavor-of-the-week boy. On the other extreme there's the fanatically feminist lesbian who uses only gender-neutral language and takes full advantage of what is assumed to be a women's-only social scene. A more general stereotype is that Barnard is a school full of hard-working, overachieving future-CEOs/Presidents/Pulitzer Prize winners who are, as the Barnard tag line goes, "strong and beautiful."

Barnard is a women's college, so people like to make sweeping generalizations about the sexuality of the entire student body- most commonly that we're a testosterone-deprived and therefore desperate (read: easy) community of women ("Hey, let's go to 1020 and pick up some Barnard freshman!" - a joke at last year's Columbia Law Revue) The other obvious thing about Barnard to the general outsider is its relationship with Columbia Univeristy, and there seems to be this idea that all Barnard students would go to Columbia College if only they could, but they were just not quite smart enough to make the cut.

Not everyone knows what Barnard is - but those who do are usually impressed, and view Barnard students as intelligent, sophisticated, and maybe a little bit arty. This is pretty accurate! Within the Columbia community, though, the stereotypes are different. Barnard students are stereotyped as more attractive, more outgoing, and less intelligent than Columbia college girls. The first two can be portrayed as positive or negative traits, depending on who's doing the talking. That said, Barnard students are very accepted as part of the Columbia community in general.