Baylor University

« See more reviews of Baylor University

Most popular change all the time. But when I was there it was sororities/ fraternities as well as other groups on campus. Just being in a group of some sort. I was involved in Alpha Delta pi, a great group of young women. I think that in dorms they did I do not remember. Depends on the athletic event but I would say medium but lacking in football. I was there and heard Bill Cosby twice which was neat. Theater is smaller but took a class in it and was exposed to that program. Most people seem to date, but then it would depend on who you are. Many of my Baylor friends and classmates have ended up getting married shortly after graduation. I met my closest friends from my sorority. I was probably studying or watching tv. The day of the bear and I am sure many more. Prob. mostly on the weekend but it would depend on the person. Some party more often than others. Fraternites and sororties are actually a very small precentage at Baylor because there are so many more clubs to join. But, they are still important. I hung out last weekend with friends. Going to the movies, hanging out with friends ordering pizza. Went to movies or just hung out with friends

Greek life is big at Baylor, especially for girls. Joining a fraternity or sorority is definitely the best way to get plugged into the social pipeline. However, it may also narrow your scope of social groups. The dorm life is exciting. In my experience, most every guy on my hall would have his door cracked for others to come in and hang out at any time. The only down side is if you are trying to get some sleep, it often stays loud until one or two at night on weeknights. However, if the noise is interfering with study time, the libraries are always open late, and the study rooms in the dorms are always available. In my experience, the dating scene is difficult when you come here knowing absolutely nobody and aren't in a fraternity of some sort. However, there are an astounding amount of good looking girls to take your pick from. There are a lot a parties available to go to, but they are often limited to who you know in a frat or sorority. Many parties involve drinking, but if that isn't for you then there are a lot of "dry" frats and Christian ones who find other ways to have fun.

Baylor has a less-than-stellar record in Big XII sports, football being a particularly painful example. However, football and basketball games are always popular and well-attended, even given the somewhat dismal athletic facilities. Other sports, such as tennis, golf, and track, Baylor regularly excels at. Baylor offers a failry wide range of campus-sponsored activities to keep students involved, and the Greek organizations almost always have something going on. Greek life is huge at Baylor, and participation is strongly encouraged. If you don't want to join a particular club, be sure you have friends in a few, so you can be invited to their activities. The different social groups are widely varied at Baylor. If you want to party every weekend (weekend starts on Thursday), then plenty of people will be willing to party. If you want to join a Bible study, you'll find people to study with (there will probably be some people from your weekend's festivities in the Bible study with you). Baylor's pretty varied.

The dorm doors are usually closed, but it's not uncomon for freshmen to go door-to-door with cookies like happy new neighbors in old movies. Atheletic events are only attended because they're free to students, but the basketball teams are nationally ranked, as well as tennis, equestrian, and maybe some others. The guest speakers are amazing, we have free concerts to names like Swtichfoot, Clay Walker, and Bethany Dillon. I met my closest friends from the Baylor Riding Association and the five of us are inseperable. I can't stress enough how important it is to get involved in some group, and you'll meet your best friends for life. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday I am at a friend's house studying because we all know I didn't start studying until 11pm, and if I'm at my house, I'll just fall asleep. Any night I'm not doing homework or working, I'm either hitting up the dance halls with friends or we're playing boardgames and watching movies.

The most popular organizations on campus are American Medical Student Association, Habitat 4 Humanity, fraternties and sororities. At the beginning of the year students would leave their dormroom doors open, but towards the end of the year not so much. Athletic events are somewhat popular. Our football team isn't the best so the games aren't very popular, but they are still fun to go to. Basketball games tend to have a larger crowd, since we are better in that sport. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, then I'm probably studying for a very important test, but it's very rare that I'm awake at that time. People party just about every weekend. Things to do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking: go bowling at the SUB, go watch a movie, hang out with your friends and play video games.

One of the organizations I'm involved with is Bears For Life. It is the Pro-Life organization on campus and we work to help create a culture of life at Baylor and educate our fellow students about issues like abortion. I love the people there-it's small, but the people there are dedicated, passionate, and are making a difference. I found my closest friends at my church group-we meet every week in something called a Lifegroup and just grow together in our faith by living out Christian community. The students in my hall won't open their doors too much(my roommates are like bats and live in a cave :P), but next year I'll be a Community leader(think of a RA that does more stuff) and I want to help create an environment where we can really build a community of guys that want to run and grow together.

I personally am involved in Heavenly Voices Gospel choir and Impact both are focused on ministry and are predominantly populated by African Americans. I LOVE HV it has been the best part of my freshman experience. GREEK LIFE is the predominant campus activity -events through the week -parties on the weekend (black greek parties don't usually involve alcohol, just dancing) Everyone goes to the football games even though we aren't that good And it's hard to get tickets to the basketball games sometimes they run out of (free) student tickets, cause we are actually good at that There are clubs in Waco but they get old Dating at Baylor is weird ( at least w/in the black community) cause everyone is someone ex or prospect it's easier to date people at other schools

When I think of social life at Baylor, the first thing that comes to mind is Greek life. Before you get too lost in your imagination, let me explain that Greek life at Baylor is very unique. Yes there are parties, yes there is drinking, but there are many members of Greek life that aren't huge partiers or drinkers, in fact, some hardly ever drink or don't drink at all. The other unique thing about Baylor Greek life is its involvement in community. Sororities are philanthropy driven and contribute a great deal to the community and their specified philantrhopies. Also, there are no houses at Baylor which makes for a different kind of living experience, one that I prefer.

A lot of freshman try to get involved in FLO (freshman leadership organization) or FCC (freshman class councel). Both of these groups provide really cool opportunities for those that are involved. Personally I attended all the sporting events for my freshman activities. No matter how poorly the Baylor football team is doing, it is still very fun to go to tailgate and then head into the game together. I highly recommend running the Baylor Line at least once. It's just something you should do. If for nothing else, it provides wonderful seats for the game. I almost always stood on the railing and although my legs were pretty sore, it made the game that much more fun.

Baylor has a lot of student organizations and clubs that you can belong to if you want--pretty much anything legal that you're interested in doing, you can do through some club at school. If you want to do anything that isn't exactly legal... you can probably do that too--but it's obviously a little more hush-hush. Athletic events are huge at Baylor: despite the fact that our football team currently sucks, people still attend the games pretty much religiously. This is pretty much the same for all the major sports at Baylor. As a freshman, you have to live in the dorms, so you either learn to embrace it or live for the day when you can get your own apartment.