Biola University

« See more reviews of Biola University

I adore Biola, but sadly, the tuition is extremely expensive. For my freshman year, I have already taken out quite a few loans, even though I won a few scholarships and worked all summer. My parents and I are under constant strain looking for ways to lessen college expenses or receive scholarships. I have an on-campus cleaning job at Biola to help pay for school, which leaves me with less time to do my homework. I manage by organizing my schedule better and remaining focused on what I need to get done. Biola is wonderful, but too expensive.

The worst thing about Biola is the on campus jobs are hard to come by. We have a website where campus jobs are listed, however they are few and hard to get. Many students are looking for jobs, so employers have many applicants making the process very competitive. If you are serious about getting a job and work hard to apply to several places you will eventually get one, it just might not be the most glorious postion. I work in the school cafeteria, but applied many places before I got hired.

The worst thing about Biola University is what is called the Biola Bubble. It is true that lifelong friendships will be made, but several people here seem to be inside this bubble. One way is the clicks that are formed. People form tight bonds here but at times can be very exclusive to new comers. Everyone seems to get at least a dozen smiles in a day, but passes to join these clicks seem to be rare. The bubble also restricts many people from seeing what the world is really like at times.

The worst thing about the school is the price. As a private school, the tuition is quite expensive, which makes it hard to even dream about attending. However, if one is serious about getting a good education and making friends that will last a lifetime, the struggle to pay for it is well worth it. From experience, I can say that it is not easy finding money to pay for tuition and other costs, but it is the best investment I have ever made, because I am preparing for my future here.

Despite the high-quality education provided and the serene campus, the tuition and costs to attend BIOLA University is more than a state university. BIOLA has great scholarship and financial aid programs; however, the cost of attendance even after all the deductions is still on the higher-end. If you are an out-of-state student, BIOLA actually may be more affordable than state schools. Private schools are generally expensive, but the education and care you recieve may be worth it.

I am frustrated sometimes by the overwhelming amount of "conservativism" on our campus. Being a Christian university, there should be a level of being conservative. But in a political and social sense, I get frustrated a lot with the uber republicans who have blind faith and blind political beliefs. Some of those students just believe what they believe because it is what their parents believed. It's not so much ignorance... mostly unwillingness to see other sides (narrow minded).

The financial cost because not only is it a struggle for me, but there are several people, some of whom i personally know, that won't be attending this coming spring semester of 2010 because they basically can't afford it. It costs an average student about $37,000 for the whole year. It's ridiculous... but i hope to continue to attend because Biola offers one of the top educations in the Biblical department with many renown professors; J.P. Moreland to name just one of them.

Open Hours!! I hate the fact that there is only certain times and days that boys can be on the girls floor or vice versa. It is by far the worst inconvenience. I love the fact that we don't have coed dorms because that would just be aweful but it would be nice to have my boyfriend or even a guy come into my roommate and my room without having the door open and having him have to leave before 11. I understand that it is just a precaution but still a nuisance none the less.

I believe the worst thing about my school is the lack of racial awareness that seems to be present in most of the students. I took a class this last semester that really opened my eyes to the issue, and I believe that more students should be made aware of what is going on in America concerning this issue. It's important, and not something that shoudl be ignored. Ignoring, or not having an opinion feeds the problem, rather than facing it and working towards reconciling it.

Financial Aid is based on the FAFSA and if a certain family has significant financial need, which is totally fine. But ALSO, extra school-funded scholarships are only available to students who qualify for financial aid through their FAFSA. I am in the middle ground where I don't qualify for financial aid, but cannot afford school, and so none of these extra scholarships are available to me other than the academic one I already have.