Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

As far as classes go, everyone has cores that they have to fulfill. I recommend getting those out of the way first so that you have junior and senior year to learn about what you love. The cores themselves aren't really that bad... they try to make them interesting. Some classes are the kind where attendence is taken and others are the kind where the teacher puts everything up online (the latter is the one where on the day of the exam, the attendence rate grows exponentially). I recommend going to class because you are spending money on it. There are alot of study space, with more than 5 libraries and study lounges in almost every dorm (some of the freshman dorms such as Koska doesn't have a lounge but you can always go to the library or caf).

some professors know my name, you have to make an effort. least favorite - history of evolution how often do students study - very often, but bc students also procrastinate class participation - yes but sometimes the people who participate can dominate a class and not allow the rest of the students to answer intellectual conversations outside of class - from what ive seen, yes competitive - YES. unique class - peace or war major - sociology department has been very helpful with my declaration professors outside of class- no bc's academic requirements - i'm okay with the core curriculum education is for learning for its own sake

Academics are what you make of them. Some people take really hard classes, and some people can pull off close to a 4.0 with almost no work. I was in the pre med program for a while, which was really competitive and classes were extremely difficult. The major classes freshman year (introductory courses) will have 150+ students, but most have about 20 students. The vast majority of kids here follow the "work hard, play hard" mantra and are smart (they have to be to get into BC). However, while the students here are bright, this isn't Tufts or Harvard, and you won't get into conversations about U.S. foreign policy at a party.

Class size ranges from 300 to 10. Students are very competitive, and most come from a high-level high school in which the student is used to getting straight A's (therefore they expect the same in college). Students have intellectual conversations outside of class but often times it's just to make themselves seem smart in front of others, most likely out of insecurity so that they can tell themselves that even though they don't get perfect grades, they're still smart. I've been taking core classes so far and none have been unique.

I have absolutely loved my academic experiences at BC. But, I must say that my encounters are not the norm--as an English and Studio Art major, I have never had a class with over 25 people (in my majors), and I have become very close with a great deal of professors. Instructors are really here for you, and I'd advise you to make your connections early--asking for letters of recommendation for jobs and grad school came so easily because of the fact that I keep in touch with my professors over the years.

Some classes I honestly don't really care about. If I'm going to double major in music I could care less about my survey to bio class. No offense to the bio professor, but bio is just not my forte. I think this year I have only been focused on fulfilling my core requirements and have not really found any classes that were absolutely awesome. I don't spend time with professors, or TAs and I'm just trying to get by with decent grades so I can move on to more interesting classes.

The classes at BC are fine for the most part. Other then some teachers being brought in at way to young of an age and making an ass of themselves by trying to pretend like they know more than they do. The academics is really the only good thing about this school. As long as you get a few more classrooms your all set. The Networking here is better than anywhere in the country.

The academics are top notch. The courses are somewhat difficult to figure out at first depending on the subject and the workload may put some students off initially. However, the professors are more than helpful for students who are struggling and the subjects taught in school courses are interesting and engaging.

Classes aren't as hard as one might think, lots of great professors, diverse classes and majors, going abroad is EXTREMELY well supported if you want to study in another country for a semester or two (I'm going to University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia next year :)))).

Professors are great - the discussion is great. I have had intellectual discussions with many peers, though of course there are still some idiots.