Boston College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Boston College

Liz

Going to Boston College was one of the best decisions of my life. I got one of the best educations I could have asked for, especially thanks to financial aid. I made friendships with some professors, found some of my closest friends, and met my boyfriend. It opened my mind to so many possibilities and so much fun while I was there!

Gary

BC has a lot to offer!

Joan

Its easy to get caught up in the motions but in general someone is down to talk with you and help you.

Theresa

Boston College is an excellent university with a little bit of something for everyone. The academics are strong, the location is phenomenal, the sports are fun, and there are extracurricular activities always available. There is also a very strong alumni network that is a great resource once you have graduated.

JoJo

BC is a super welcoming community!

Mateo

Boston College has a solid academic reputation that is backed by supportive and engaging teachers. There are many extracurricular activities to get involved in, but everything is very restricted to the campus. Being a big time private school most things are adequately funded and there are many available resources many students don't even realize are there. There is a strong sense of "community" but with it comes with major conformity and predictability. People tend to go out at the same time, study at the same time, and go out to the same three bars. With so many people living on campus, many students never explore Boston as much as other schools in the area. It is a Catholic school and Catholicism is available if you want it. Religion is most obvious in social undertones as 70% of the students are Catholic. This religious ideology definitely takes an impact on the "problems" the administration identifies. Specifically, the administration and several students draw issue to binge drinking and the hook up culture. These are not unique to Boston College and definitely not worse than any state school. If you are gothic, grunge, hipster, etc. finding a group of friends is more work than it needs to be. Individuality is not celebrated. At times, it feels like a Catholic high school or boarding school on steroids with its caddy and hierarchical social structure. The majority of students are sheltered white, middle to upper class, physically fit, and participates in some community service. It is possible to make friends in this environment, but not fitting in is very hard and sometimes eye opening at the unconscious discrimination of differences. Boston College finds diversity and discovering one's true identity to be more of a lecture based class (Philosophy/Theology/Pulse/Perspective) than a practical experience. Politically Boston College tends to be much more conservative. There are very few protests on campus, and fewer protests that attack hotly contested issues. The administration often attempts to block free speech for those who speak anything other than their understanding of their mission statement. If you went to Catholic high school and loved it, Boston College will be great for you. If you are a preppy and sporty person, Boston College is great for you. However, if you don't fit into these specific groups, developing your own personality or living independently can be cumbersome.

Katherine

It is a very intellectual environment; however, they also encourages its students to take part in various clubs or organizations that pique their interest. Boston College pushes its scholars to challenge themselves in and outside of the classroom; they want to us to further our thinking by questioning the world that surrounds us.

Diana

I truly enjoyed my four years at Boston College! I was academically challenged, met some amazing people, and was able to explore Boston in my down time.

Though Boston College isn't exactly the MOST ethnically diverse campus, never fear - there is a niche for everyone. BC is rife with activities, from writing, acting, and singing to research, experimentation, and investments. The college's involvement with the nearby Boston area as well as the wide alumni network means that there are opportunities for everyone and connections to be made that will last far beyond college. The food is honestly pretty great for a big university, and I have not once had a problem getting face time with the professors of even my biggest classes. I've really found a home here, and I'm getting a good education out of it to boot. Not to mention, the campus is one of the most beautiful places I've seen, with easy access to the equally beautiful city of Boston and the surrounding towns. From buildings to people, I don't feel as though I've wasted a single moment here.

Beautiful school, excellent academics.

Julia

There's nothing not to like.

Aine

I had a great experience here and I always rave about it! This is the place to be.

I was really impressed by Boston College when I went to visit. Not only is it a beautiful school, but it is close enough to the city of a Boston to have easy access while far enough away to still have a traditional campus feel. I was initially worried about religion being a major thing at the school as I am not religious but religion is as big or as little of a deal as you make it for yourself and there is never any pressure for not being religious.

Ericka

Overall BC is a great university. If youre white youll be fine, students of color might struggle more than their white counterparts because for many students of color, this is their first time being surrounded by so many white and privileged people. Everyone will seem richer and more well off than you. But the clubs, students, orgs. etc make up for this and in the end, there is a strong sense of community.

Eliot

Boston College has quite a reputation among schools in the area. For all that's said about it, its a bit underwhelming. The program catalog and selection just don't hold up to other schools in the area, including our rival BU. But there is a certain school spirit here that becomes infectious.

Soumil

Boston College is perfect for those looking for a large school in a college town setting. It is actually a university in Chestnut Hill and their food, academics, and professors are the main highlights of the school. Often, professors will invite students over for dinner and get very close while also providing access to research opportunities.

Astride

We're a good school, but we definitely don't stand out. We have limited academic choices. The only people with true educational freedom here are the kids at the college of Arts & Sciences. Everyone else seems to just be getting the qualifications for a job, as opposed to an education of choice and curiosity. I also think we need a more diverse faculty. We need more people of color teaching things that pertain to people of color here. Also, our campus is kind of small. If you're not from here or you don't take the initiative to branch out, you'll get stuck in the "BC Bubble."

Isabella

Choosing to attend Boston College is one of the best decisions I have made. The curriculum is challenging, but engaging, and the campus offers a friendly and open environment. Moreover, its close proximity to the city of Boston is a benefit that can not be overestimated. I love the school!

Paige

Boston College is a great place to study and live. There is a strong community with plenty of opportunities to meet new people and grow. There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer and get involved. Many clubs are volunteer oriented but there are other opportunities as well. BC is a great place to be!

Eden

This school is rigorous and worth the hard work to attend. There is a great community and a lot of pride surrounding attending Boston College. The school is all around amazing to be apart of. The students have a great attitude toward the world, because they grow used to contemplating the importance of being a good person in community service.

Chad

To be completely honest, the kids that go to BC just talk about how much money their parents make. One time I went to a party with my friend I was visiting and I wore Levis, and all of the kids asked why they weren't pleated. I wish these students were in touch with reality and knew what real life was about. DOUCHE BAG CITY IF YOU ASK ME.

Sixto

Boston College is academically rigorous and offers many extracurricular activities. Most students are able to find a balance between success in the classroom and having fun outside of the classroom. There is an array of extracurricular activities for all kinds of students and parties are common on the weekends. Sports events are always filled especially the NCAA Division I football and hockey games. Intramural and club spots are also popular among students that are not world-class athletes. Diversity is one area that BC could improve in as the majority of the student body is white. There are many affinity groups throughout campus though.

Molly

Can sometimes feel homogenous, many wealthy students attend this school and can make you feel a little out of place. Overall, though, the education is great and students take academics very seriously. I am a white student, so I cannot speak to the experience of minorities, but I have heard from peers that it can feel somewhat homogenous in a racial sense as well.

Steven

They really try to pump you up to get you here. Once here though, you feel like they only want your money. I hate the crappy off campus apartments. They need some new dorms, not old garbage. There are times you feel like the religious stuff is being jammed down your throat. As far as the students go, there are alot of cliques among the guys. If you are not a jock or incredibly handsome, alot of girls wont even give you the time of day. Its somewhat depressing that with the cold as you will freeze your butt off in the winter.

Camryn

An amazing place where work hard, play hard is embodied in every way. Students are eager and ready to learn, professors are dedicated to their work, and there are so many amazing ways to be involved outside of the classroom as well. One of the most gorgeous college campuses I have ever seen as well!

Katelyn

Boston College is an amazing college full of opportunity. The student body is politically active, spirited, and engaged with the community. The college is large enough that you can always find a crowd that is right for you, but still see familiar faces around. The only downsides are that the food is not that good and you have to wait in line a long time to get it. Also, the majority of students come from affluent, Irish Catholic upbringings. BC is a Jesuit institution but it is not so "in-your-face" about it. Overall, a great college with very stimulating courses, passionate professors who want you to succeed, and a diverse and very involved student body.

Gerardo

Boston College is a great university. The classes are interesting, the professors engaging, Catholic identity, and the people are extremely nice. The party culture is present if needed, but is certainly not too crazy or even required for a healthy social life.

Claire

Overall I really enjoy being a BC student. The academics are rigorous without being unmanageable. Also being close to Boston without being in the city allows for a great campus feel. The size of the university is nice because you always see a familiar face when walking to class, but you're always meeting new people and making new friends.

Carley

It was a university built for me. It has everything I could ask for from decent humans to good food and great classes. I have overloaded courses both semesters because I couldn't choose which ones I wanted to take. I wish everyone had the opportunity to go here. The only downfall is that it is insanely expensive. I am stressed over the debt.

Marissa

BC is a great place, and has the opportunity to be amazing if you take advantage of all the opportunities there. I attended regular office hours and got a lot out of my classes. I also made lifelong friends. If you be sure to focus on building lasting relationships and having fun, you'll love it!

Thomas

A lackluster school that feebly attempts to climb to the ranks of Ivy Leagues. Asides from being in the New England area, this college lacks the livelihood of campus life, well balanced academics, and diversity in the student body. Academics are intentionally rigged so that an A is unattainable and all scores must be curved. The “large” campus area is misleading since the school is made up of 3 different campuses all separate from each other. The faculty have little care for its students unless their parents are significant benefactors. Incidents such as rape and sexual assault are all too easily swept under the rug to maintain the ideal “Jesuit” image of the school. Rampant behavioral problems of the students go unnoticed as the school suffers from racist propaganda such as the “Black lives don’t matter.” movement.

Christopher

Boston College provides a great educational and extracurricular atmosphere. Academics are the main focus of the school with the business school especially providing students with an abundance of opportunities and helpful tips on how to succeed in post-graduation life. Internships are readily available and professors have the necessary experience to connect classroom lessons to applicable real-life situations. Along with academics, there are hundreds of student organizations for students to participate in. Personally, I am in cultural clubs, athletic clubs, academic clubs, service organization clubs, and art clubs. As a result of these clubs, I have been able to meet a variety of different students and make strong and valuable connections that have enhanced my overall experience at Boston College. If I had to give one piece of advice to incoming freshmen, I would strongly recommend that they join multiple student organizations. A religious atmosphere is present but is definitely not overbearing. Students are required to take philosophy and theology classes but professors rarely share their own ideas in order to leave out personal biases. Overall, Boston College has provided me with an excellent start to my college career. I have been able to step outside my comfort zone and expand my academic horizons to help make me a more personable and experienced citizen of our world.

Patrick

Boston College is honestly a disappointment. The administration is completely apathetic towards LGBTQ+ or race issues (as is the President) and the Division of Student Affairs (ResLife, Disability Services, etc) is largely useless. The student culture here is shallow and all anyone ever cares about is drinking and partying. I only find kindness in individuals scattered across campus, almost never in offices of the institution. There is no appreciation for the fine arts here and all anyone ever cares about is football (even though our team sucks). Too many entitled rich kids on campus who freak out over the slightest inconvenience. I wish I had found somewhere better to go to school but I got too entrapped here. If only I had left sooner...

Pierce

Boston College is a great school! It is renowned for its great education, vast resources, and astoundingly beautiful architecture. My personal favorite things about the university were the high quality of the food served at the different cafeterias, and the numerous student groups on campus (since we do not have fraternities/sororities on campus, this is where I really found my tight group of friends).

Derrick

Boston College: Not Harvard, but not BU. The school loves to propagate elitism by having outrageous food prices, tuition, and housing costs. If you want you and your parents to get sucked dry of everything you both own, then apply! Don’t recommend attending here if you’re household income is less than $250,000. If you are poor, it shows, so good luck fitting in. And despite what you may read online from students of wealthy demographics, BC is not a welcoming place. Every year there is a racist or homophobic instance on campus. This year, a boy wrote racial slurs all over a lounge wall and furniture.

Wesley

Boston College is a terrific school that has provided me with so many great opportunities. I have loved every minute of my time at BC, the people are great, the classes are intellectually challenging, and it is a really fun place to be a student. It also helps having a great city like Boston at a very accessible distance.

Danielle

I could not have picked a better college. The people at BC are some of the most authentic, genuine, caring, and intellectual people I've ever met. We are close to Boston for lots of cool opportunities but also have the big sports culture and academics, without giant class sizes! 10/10

Riley

Before I visited Boston College, I was not even sure I wanted to apply. I knew that it is a great school, but they did not offer many scholarships. I did not think I would be worth my time to apply; however, after I visited the campus, I instantly fell in love. The campus is gorgeous, the academics are fantastic and the staff is great. I definitely could see myself going there, and it has become one of my favorite colleges.

Ivan

I enjoy the school as there are always activities to do and the faculty is kind and available to establish genuine relationships. The facilities to work out are my favorite part because they have so much equipment to work out and stay in shape. Not only that but sports games are always amazing to attend where you can really see the school spirit.

Gabrielle

Fantastic place to learn, grow and make lifelong friendships. Boston College is like an onion - the longer you are there, the more layers and the more value you find. As a freshman, it can be a bit challenging to make friends (some say this is because of the lack of Greek life). I think this almost universal struggle helps people become more independent and truly find the friends they belong with. The housing can be a big source of contention - you have to break up into set groups and enter into a lottery to get housing in a range of desired dorms. Nevertheless, a bond is created where ever you are placed. The sports culture is great - football season in particular. People can party as much or as little as they want - there are groups for every kind of person.