Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

There are quite a few big lecture halls especially the introductory courses in the sciences. Professors will not learn your name unless you give them a reason to. It is very easy to glide by without looking your professor in the eye. The courses vary in difficulty depending on the department. The sciences are pretty difficult whereas the social science classes are less vigorous.

The only advice I have for choosing classes, is check the PEPs on the teacher first. Students can log on and rate their teacher and tell you their strengths, weaknesses, how hard the class is and how much work you usually have to do. It's a great tool, and I use it every time I have to choose my classes. They can be found at http://ugbc.org/peps.php .

Professors are genuinely interested in the welfare of their students, they want you to succeed. BC students are generally very academically focused, and there is a wide range of unique classes to choose from. The core curriculum is a great way to ensure that each student experiences an array of academic interests and options.

Professors generally know you and care about you. Opportunities exist to take small classes and large ones, and most of the big lecture classes are supplemented with weekly discussion groups. Students are very competitive. Prof's do spend time with students outside of class.

Depending on the classes you take (seminars, or big introductory classes) professors dont always get to know your names. Professors do respond rather quickly to emails. BC students are very competative. Class participation is very common.

You rarely have to take a large lecture after freshmen year, so you always know your professor's name. My favorite classes are the ones i take for my major. My least favorite are the core classes that we have to take.

The Academics are challenging. There are many places to study, you can go to one of the libraries, study lounges or the Chocolate Bar. We tend to have intellectual conversations.

Professors are great! I would say that if you want to be in the business school, get in as a freshman. It is extremely hard to get in as a sophomore.

Most professors know your name, study times vary on a student to student basis, class participation is a must, music department is small but quaint.

Once you declare your major and move to upper level courses, you move away from large lecture hall style classes and classes become more friendly.