Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

The DOBC (Dance Organization at Boston College) perform yearly for students, faculty and family. This is a clip of their intro piece.

A clip from one of the dances at DOBC's spring show.

See Above

see title

There is probably a club for anything you could want. There are clubs for every hobby and sport. You can also get involved in lots of groups if you are passionate about a certain political or social cause. Students often meet their friends through their dorm situations, through classes, or while partying. I met my friends through a mixture of all three. Freshman year really put everyone on top of one another so that we could bond however worked best for each of us. I continued living with my freshman roommate throughout all four years and we are still in touch. The other people I lived near freshman year became my other roommates and it all grew from there. Partying is a big part of campus life at BC. We all work very hard during the week and we all want to unwind by Friday night. Partying is usually only on the weekends, but by senior year the definition of weekend may blur into Thursday or Monday. Once you have been at BC for a month, you will inevitably know someone who is having a party every Friday and Saturday night. Although we don't have a greek culture, I think that allows us to branch out more often and interact with more fun and interesting people. If you don't drink, life is still fun. I had friends who never drank at BC and still joined us at every event that we went to. Nobody should feel pressure to drink if they don't want to and most people respect someone else's decision.

Students in dorms don't leave their doors open but are friendly. The dance groups like Phaymus and Females Incorporating Sisterhood Through Step are the hottest groups on campus. I'm involved in Black Student Forum whose primary goal is to show prospective students a good time when they come here for Black Family Weekend. Athletic events are very popular, so popular that the administration has resorted to a lottery system for athletic events. There are about 3-4 guest speakers at our school weekly, mostly interesting ones. The dating scene is not so good..most people just want to hook up and casual date, nothing serious. Every year we have Showdown which is when all dance groups on campus compete for bragging rights and Black Family Weekend is also a big deal. People start partying on Thursday... Fraternities and sororities aren't acknowledged by administration. However there are plenty of people who are involved in them. Saturday nights..almost everything involves drinking. Since I don't drink I'll play card games, watch tv, party, hang out with friends, go into Boston. There's plenty t do. You can do plenty off campus, however, the T stops running a little before 1 so expect to carpool or take plenty of cabs!

BC men's football, hockey, and basketball are by far the most popular sports teams. BC student football tickets sell out every year, and a lottery is held for men's hockey and basketball to ensure that everyone has a fair chance to get tickets. UGBC is the undergraduate student government organization at BC. Elections are always crazy and the campaigning is really intense. UGBC's job is to work with the administration to improve the quality of student life. I'm a member of the BC Sharps, the only all-female a cappella group on campus. We sometimes joke that we're as close to a sorority as BC will ever get because we get together socially as well as sing together. Outside of class and schoolwork, the Sharps are the most important part of my college experience. We are all very close friends. During my freshman year, I was usually up socializing with people from my dorm at 2am on a typical Tuesday night. I was more than willing to replace sleep with opportunities to get to know new people. But now as a sophomore living in a suite with friends, I am up at 2am on a Tuesday night only when I have work due the next morning. I usually go to bed around 12:30 or 1am on weekdays.

4Boston is an extremely popular volunteer group on campus. Over 300 students volunteer for four hours a week at one of many off campus centers and then have a one hour reflection with their group. The Student Admissions Program is the most popular volunteer program. The SAP helps the admissions office with tours, answering phones, and panels for prospective students. Many students take part in club and intramural sports. The football team is the most popular varsity sport among the student body. Freshman year most people meet their friends in their dorm, in class, or in the groups or organizations that they are involved with. This does take a while and because the school is large you are constantly meeting new people. Most people here do not date, rather they hook up with random people on the weekends and move on to someone new the next night. The amount that people party depends on their schedules and their workload for the week. BC is definitely work hard to play hard. While people go out on weekend night, many people spend the weekend afternoons studying for an upcoming exam or working on an assignment. There is no Greek life so parties are in random rooms each night.

Football is huge. I am on the dance team for football season, which is a ton of fun because we perform with the marching band at all the football games and events. We also travel to some away games and bowl games. Freshman leave their doors open in dorms, but after that most students have cemented their group of friends and live in suites and therefore do not really interact with the other students on their hall. There is no dating scene. Either you have dated the same person from home since middle school, you met someone freshman year that you date for all 4 years, or you just hook up with random people all throughout college. Senior year some friends begin to form relationships more though. I met my closest girl friends in nursing and my closest guy friends at a party. We stay up every weekend until around 6am "postgaming" just playing games and being crazy. When you are an underclassman, you try to find out about some random party off campus and sketchily try to get in. Junior year you hang out at your friends off campus apartments. Senior year you either go to the mods, Maryann's, or one of the other Allston-Brighton bars.

the major asian groups are big. student government is probably pretty big. performance groups. im not really in any of these kinds of groups, im an employee for resnet (which is more of a job but i like to think of it as a group). doors are open within suites, rarely are they open to the main hallways. id say less than half of students care about bc athletics. ive heard we've had some good guest speakers, never been. ive gone to some plays at bc. there are the hard core partiers, who i think dont really date but just hook up with people drunkenly. there are people who dont party as much, they are more likely to have girl/boyfriends. i met my closest friends by living with them freshman year. 2am tuesday, im probably doing homework or playing video games with friends. marathon monday is the only one i can think of. people party up to 3 or 4 times a week. no frats/sors. i did homework last weekend. if you aren't drinking, i suppose you can do drugs, but thats less common at bc than other places. i got to restaurants and bars off campus.