Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

The best thing about BC is the campus, followed by the class discussion. The campus is absolutely beautiful and it has basically everything a college student needs. There are intelligent people around as well - makes class a little more bearable. There isn't a lot of school pride, but that's mostly because the athletics department cares more about making money than promulgating a good image for the school.

The best thing about BC is the culture of service. So many students volunteer and there are so many opportunities to do so. Everyone seems to be involved in at least one extra curricular. If I could change one thing, I would change that no one dates at BC. The rumor that BC is either a marriage or a hook up school definitely seems to be true- there's very little dating, but many BC grads marry other Eagles following graduation. BC is the perfect size for me- its large enough that you don't know everyone by senior year but its small enough that when you walk around campus you can recognize familiar faces. I wish there was a lower student to faculty ratio, though. Classes, especially introductory classes that you take as a freshman, are very large and tend to not be personal. I spend the most time on campus in the apartment style living of upper classmen, because most seniors live on campus, despite moving off campus during junior year. I think its great because BC doesn't have enough housing to provide for all of its students, but by allowing seniors back on campus, BC creates a haven for seniors to regroup for their final year. I also spend a lot of time in our science building, Higgins, which has some awesome labs for students to work in, and in Bapst, our gorgeous, old library. It makes you feel like you've stepped into Hogwarts! BC is a Catholic school but it doesn't consistently hold to its roots, and this is the biggest source of controversy on campus. For example, no contraception is allowed to be sold or distributed on campus, the admissions statement does not include a clause about sexual preference, and several events being run by the gay and lesbian organization have been canceled. However, the university still maintains investments in war torn areas and allow companies involved in weapons development to come to our career fair. This is a highly protested area involving the administration. There is also undeniably still a racial divide at BC. While it is improving, and there are numerous cultural organizations that are heavily supported, groups still tend to form along racial lines. This is one complaint I have about my time at Boston College, but it is one that seems to be getting better as time goes on. I will always remember the football games at BC, which are huge. Our teams are good, but the entire experience of tailgating is what makes the difference. The school grounds are covered by alums and their picnic tables laden down with food. Before one game, my service trip group went around to ask for donations and the alumni gladly opened their wallets without even asking where we were going. I think the alumni connection is going to be very valuable to me when I graduate in May.

The best thing about BC is the feeling of community within such a large population of students and faculty. Every professor I have had so far at BC has been entirely accessible and willing to help every student. If I have a question or concern, I can communicate via e-mail with my professors or meet with them in person during their office hours. I like knowing that help is there when I need it. BC is a good-sized school. It's large enough that you can meet a lot of new, diverse people; but it's small enough that if you mention a classmate's name in a group or ten BC students, one of the ten will also know who your classmate is. The only major problem with the student population is that it seems to be somewhat segregated. White groups of friends, Asian groups of friends, Black groups of friends. I don't in any way want to disregard the great many BC students who have friends of all backgrounds, but I would still like to see a bit more integration among the student body. Often when I say that I go to BC, people are impressed or joke "oh, so you're smart". I feel proud to say that I am a BC student because it attests to the hard work I have done in my academic career. When I'm not in class, I split my time between Hillside cafe, my room, and the library. In the morning before class, I usually do work at Hillside, where I get my daily dose of caffeine. After class, I get lunch and go back to my room to relax and do work. If I have a lot to do or just don't want to run the risk of being distracted, I go to the library to study. There is a crazy amount of school pride at BC. We aren't called superfans for nothing. Being a Division I sports school in the ACC, BC has more than enough school spirit to go around. One of my professors once said that during football season, BC becomes more like a major stadium with an academic institution attached to it.

The best thing about BC is how it has become so many things to so many types of people. It's a top-30 university with excellent sports programs (voted the 6th best two-sport school by ESPN last year), has an evident but not overwhelming religious culture (many students are fortunate enough to study under Jesuit priests), and still is a respected 'party' school. A lot of friends who are in fraternities or sororities at other schools say they can't imagine going to a school with no Greek system. I, for one, love BC's policy--there's no pressure associated with pledging, etc., and it serves to minimize cliques based on attributes alone (sure, cliques still exist, but they're often with a very diverse group of people who you normally would have never befriended). I love BC's location, as it is distant enough from Boston to avoid being considered a city school, but close enough to avoid being considered a suburban school. There's very easy access to downtown via the 'T,' but people (particularly underage) simply prefer to stay on campus or near campus. For the most part, BC is a very aesthetically pleasing, Gothic-oriented school. There are a few distinctly retro buildings, but a massive (and beautiful) overhaul of the outdated parts is set to occur in the next decade or so. There are a number of very avid sports fans at BC, and as such, school spirit is typically very high. Unfortunately, there are many fair-weather fans who would rather watch a football game on TV or pound a few more beers than get to the stadium (which is about a 10-minute walk from anywhere on campus, with the exception of the supplemental freshman campus) on time. In a down year for BC basketball, the lack of fans in the student section has been maddening at times.

BC is awesome! Spending the last four years here as been the best time of my life. I have met my best friends that I know I will be friends with forever. I have crazy stories about partying, school work, professors, and everyday life at BC that I will take with me forever. The average BC student, or at least the ones I hang around with, loves to party, but also works really hard and prides themselves on getting good grades. We have a lot of school spirit and live for football weekends and tailgating. We love Maryann's, our senior bar. The only thing I would change about BC is the housing lottery process because it causes so much unneeded drama every March. The size of the school is just right. When you walk around campus, you are bound to see someone you know, but most of the people you see you do not know. The best part is that you often see people from your classes when you are out, which makes class a little more enjoyable because you have friends. People have a lot of respect for BC. I am a nursing student and we are greatly appreciated when we go to the hospitals for clinical because nurses know if you go to BC you are bound to be smart and well-educated. Boston is one of the best college towns around. Anywhere you go you will be surrounded by young people whether they are BC, BU, Northeastern, etc. students. It is a great city to go out in and there is always so much to do. Unusual things about BC...we don't have Greek life, we only have BC-run cafeterias, every BC student wants to live in the mods even though they are pieces of shit, only nursing and education students can have cars on campus.

The best thing at BC is the attention to forming students who care about social justice and will make life decisions to affect change in the world. I would change the general conservative views of the administration which stifle conversation and prevent any possibility for change especially around issues like homosexuality. Size is great. Well it is a bit different in the midwest because people know of BC, but they don't all know of its reputation so there are usually questions to figure out what it is like. I spend most of my time during the day in class, in meetings, getting lunch with friends (I am often in McElroy where I often eat lunch and where many of my activities are centered). We don't really experience the college town because we are a bit outside of BC and there is such a strong BC bubble that people do not often get outside it. I already mentioned BC's admin they are way too conservative and out of touch with the BC population (or at least not willing to be in an active conversation with the students), BC runs as a business and so the students are secondary to the money they produce and the rankings that guide the college market, this is not a melodramatic metaphor, this college is business driven. Controversy - probably the student body pres election, but in terms of a controversy that actually matters probably the hate crime incident last year that resulted in outcries by persecuted minorities on campus. Yes there is a lot of school pride, and while I have a lot of negative commentaries I have school pride, its just it is limited...

BC is a cool school to go to. The school spirit here is amazing something that I had never experienced until this year, coming from a very small highschool that didn'e even have a football team. The campus is beautiful too, lots of grass, and the city is only a 20 minute t-ride away. When I have time in-between classes, I usually hang out in the rat, its almost impossible not to see someone you know there. The dorms are fairly nice, some of course, nicer than others. I got the shaft this year and got stuck over on Newton. Everyone told me that I would learn to like, like the "going home" feeling but it really just proved to be a pain in the ass, especially being on a team where practice takes 5 hours out of your day. I was never here and since in the beginning, all my friends were on the team and they all lived on main campus, I spent all my time over there. The bus pain is awful, unreliable, especially on weekends, ive waited upwards of 30 minutes for a bus which is just ridiculous. Forced triples on upper get money for being inconvenienced...hello? Newton sucks and I didn't ask for it. But I guess its the luck of the draw, some people got shafted again next year though and have to live on upper with the new freshman because of an unlucky lottery number. I think if people are going to be forced to live a 10 min bus ride away from main campus one year, they should at least be guaranteed lower the next. Sorry for ranting about the housing situation, I just really hate it and think its a shitty system.

bc is really the perfect combination of academic difficulty and a great social scene. It's pretty well-known that bc has great academics, but a lot of internships and business companies who come here talk about the fact that although many see bc as a level below the ivy leaguers, bc grads often get jobs that the ivy's can't because of the combo of smarts and social skills where many ivy kids are just nerds. there is a lot of work on the weekdays, but bc is greatly underestimated when it comes to parties. friday and saturday are always lively, both on and off campus, and most thursdays too are bc party nights. also, on low work weeks for many students and/or big events, many students will go out over a night in the library. for example, red sox games, celtics, concerts, bc sporting events. sports are Awesome at bc, not only at the varsity level, but throughout. the club teams are all really good, and the intramurals are even really competitive. becasue bc admissions puts so much emphasis on extracurriculars, tons of the students played varsity sports in high school, so the fan base gets really into it, and also turns into a good-looking campus. i would guess about 75 percent of guys were captain of a sport in their high school, and about 40 percent of the gals. so football games are an entire day of tailgating, and all the sporting events have a great atmosphere.

BC has a very good reputation so when some one asks "where do you go to school?" and you answer "Boston College" there is always a reaction of "oohhh!" with eye brows raised. Everyone knows the school and how good it is. The Jesuit education, if you choose to embrace it, teaches you to educate your whole person and learn about many things you would never think you would learn. The size of BC is just right because you could run into someone every day or never have to see them again if you so choose. Being outside of Boston is amazing. You don't have to deal with the craziness of Boston traffic, but your only about 20 minutes away from a great city. Some big controversies are the battle between very conservative and catholic views against the many liberal and social justice views. The gay and lesbian community has been fighting for equal rights and acceptance for a long time, and has made some strides but there are the occasional racist attacks, which put most of campus up in arms. The BC community does come together in support of each other which is a blessing. School pride is definitly present every day through the wearing of BC's maroon and gold colors, especially at sporting events.

The best thing about BC are the opportunities. The opportunities to be active in academics, volunteer work, social groups, or student government are endless. BC inspires its students to actualize their own goals, to explore and set goals and then use the University's resources to realize them. If I could change one thing it would be the division of the sophomore class between College Road and Lower Campus. BC's size is very accessible: large enough for diverse social and academic opportunities but small enough so that greek life and other social groups are not necessary to create a sense of community. On Campus, I spend most of my time in the dorms. Study lounges are great for class work, and the dorms are great little communities. Boston is probably the biggest college town in the country; there is no little college street, but Newton center isn't far and Downtown has about a million little nooks for exploration. School pride runs rampant. No matter where you are, there is a strong sense of unity, especially during special events and games. No line holds more true at BC than: "For here all are one."