Boston College

« See more reviews of Boston College

You have worked so hard to get where you are. Do not give up now because it will get so much better. I know that the stress is getting to you and I hate to say it, but college is even more stressful just in different ways. It may seem like you will never get in to Boston College, but do not worry too much because things will work out the way that they are supposed to. When you get to college you may find that you are scared to be away from your family, hate the food, and feel like you will never sleep through the night again. You will miss your boyfriend more than you ever thought possible and you will have to work very hard to keep your long distance relationship, but it will be so worth. Eventually you will meet the two sweetest girls you have ever come across and they will become your closest friends, your sisters. With time, everything will get easier and you will adjust to living in a big city and really come to love the decision you made. Oh, and study hard for that first chemistry test!!

I would tell myself to trust myself and to trust my parents. I spent a lot of time worrying about how to pay for college and my parents said it may be difficult but we would get through it. I have come to love my school so much and all the decisions I've made in getting to this point. I would definitely tell myself to take pride in my high school accomplishments, but not to let them make me complacent when entering college. Additionally I would have told myself to join a club sport fall semester of freshman year, because joining the Boston College Women's Club Rugby team was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I would advise finding the weirdest, most interesting people on campus, not just people who are fun to go to parties with, because they don't end up being your friends for a very long time. The weird ones are the ones that will stick around and be the most fun. Overall, I would let myself know that I was about to make some very good life choices and to stick to gut feelings.

College has really made me start growing up and realizing who I really am. I moved across the country to go to school and thought I wanted to go back, however the struggle to adjust really made me start to rely on my own or my new friends as support and not always my parents. My personality has changed as I become more out going and started to realize what is important to me and what I really want. My goals and ideals may keep switching around more, but I'm starting to get a better idea of them. I am making new friends and figuring out what makes me happy. College so far has been a million times better than high school ever was. Besides the social and personal side, I am getting an education that will get me away from my home town and on to bigger and better things that just working at my grandfather's buisness at home. I'm going on to do what my parents could not and have sacrificed so much for me to have. Thanks to college I will be able to do what I want and be who I want.

I would tell myself to research the resources that are available for AHANA students, then to branch off and find major specific resources. These two avenues offer a wide array of resources from scholarships to networking opportunities with alumni. I would also suggest that I get an on-campus job where there is the opportunity for student faculty interaction, be it in the faculty dining hall or in a particular department. This increases your networks and although you may not have a personal interaction with all the faculty members they have an opportunity to see how you interact with others and in the event that they find an opportunity and do not know other students, you may be the first person who comes to mind! And last but not least, remember that impressions matter. From the impression that you give the cleaning lady to the impression you give peers and professors. It is reflective of who you are and you never know who's watching so always put your best foot forward!

Don't be afraid to look in places that you would not normally consider. Don't go for the schools with the biggest name, but rather the one that seems the best fit for you personally. Freshman year can be challenging, but try everything! Don't be afraid to participate in activities that you weren't active in during high school. Most of all, give yourself time. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Remember, you're in a new place with new people, and basically a whole new life. There is plenty of time for achievement academically, but definitely have fun! Meeting new people and experiencing different points of few are just some of the many things that make college such a unique experience. Grades aren't everything. And parents--try to put pressure on your children. It is hard enough getting used to college without feeling external stress. Let them breathe and take everything in--they'll come to you when they need help or advice. Enjoy every minute--the years fly by!!

Students: My biggest piece of advice would be to follow your heart. Visit the campus before deciding. Spend a day on campus and see if it is the right school for you. Once there, don?t be afraid to put yourself out there. Don?t worry about making best friends on the first day. Most of the time the friends you make the first days or weeks of school are not the people you will hang out with for the rest of your time at school; be patient. Finally, call home and let your parents know how you are. They want to hear from you. Parents: College is one of the most important steps of growing up. Remember to keep your children in mind when they are choosing their school. Although the school might not be what you would have chosen, what might be right for you might not be right for them. Try to give them space, but remind them that you are there for them. Send them a care package. It always feels great to get a letter in the mail to let someone now you are thinking about them.

Since your college is your home for the next four years, you don't just want to find a decent fit. However, there is no way to tell if a college is right for you without really getting a feel for it. I think it is imperative to visit the college during the school year and find a class or two to sit it on. Get a feel for the daily life of those college students, since that will be similar to your daily life for the next four years. Also, if the campus doesn't impress you, that alone might not be a right fit since you'll have to look at it every day. Don't be afraid to ask questions or talk to the students (if they don't look too stressed! stay away from those with exams!). If a student really loves their college, they will want to talk with you and share their experiences out of school pride alone. I love seeing people touring the campus grounds. That is one sign of a student who loves their school. Try to find pros and cons, but also their love for the school.

For one I would ask myself how come I haven't saved a dime since then. And, all this time I haven't even got my license what is up with that. And, I 've had my permit for over a year and I still haven't stepped into the driver seat. I 'm also upset at myself for choosing San Joaquin Delta College as a place to study Graphic Design couldn't even place a Associate Degree because, they only give certificates out for what I'm majoring for. I also think that I couldn't have picked a worser job to work at then Big-Kmart this is not where I want to be in 5 years. I want to be more than just a cashier working at a General store. I also think that getting a credit card was a bad idea how can I have been so stupid I can't even afford a credit card with what I'm making in a month. I think the most smartest decision I've made these past 2 years is actually putting away money. And, finally working on getting into a nice graphic school.

My college experience has been an unusual one thus far. I am 18 years old; I just graduated from both my high school and my town's community college. I received an Associates of Arts degree before I received my high school diploma. The experiences I have had during the past two years at the community college were some that I will always value. I have learned how to be self-sufficient in managing my time, and I have learned how to think ahead and envision the future and plan accordingly. My college experience has also given me a sense of appreciation for my position in life. There are many teenagers who never graduate high school, yet I have graduated from two schools in one month. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity I have been blessed with. For many years, I have taken for granted the fact that I am so blessed, but through this experience I have seen that there is much given to me that others cannot experience.

Remember that job you had over the summer and how much money you spent every week? SAVE IT!! Put some money in your savings account please!! College is all about self independency and without a little chump change this transition will be very difficult! You will want to go out on your own and buy something for your room without borrowing from your mom oncce in a while. Also cut down on all the candy! The gym at BC is always packed and you will never get your turn on the treadmill, so cut down on the snacks for a while. Maybe you should asking use those new running shoes you bought because food at BC is great and you won't skip meals! Take your time with each class and expect the unexpected. You haven't had a class with more than 30 kids, but when you get to America and the world you will have over 100. Find a studious friend in each class to swap notes as usual and swap numbers. Last but not least HAVE FUN!