Boston University

« See more reviews of Boston University

I'm always a little bit bummed out by how entitled and apathetic students at BU can be. Probably my only complaint. Everyone spends hours griping about the bureaucracy and the awful administration, but no one takes the time to get involved with Student Union, RHA, etc.. I think folks would be surprised at how flexible and kind the administration can be, if they'd stop reading snippy Op-Eds in the FreeP and actually get out to meet them. A lot of people just aren't used to not getting their way, I guess. People constantly complain about the alcohol policy and drug policy (which are nothing more than slaps on the wrist) or the authoritarian RAs (many of whom don't actually document incidents) -- always something to complain about. People miss a lot of opportunities that BU offers, which is why you can have such a dichotomy of responses on here. You either love it, or hate it. And that depends on your level of engagement and how much you try to "plug in" to the community. Definitely a niche for everyone if they'd stop writing melodramatic blog-posts or passive-aggressive tweets and get out there to enjoy the experience.

Something that I think is lacking in BU presently is a sense of activism or civic duty. We're living in such a contentious time and yet there is hardly any political presence on campus. I don't think I've seen more than a handful of protest-type events since I've been here, and issues of national or international importance are seldom discussed on a large forum. I understand that there are many things going on, but the Greenpeace petitioners freezing their asses off outside CAS shouldn't be the only people with a mission and a message out there. I think we need to take our power as students more seriously, whether it be to campaign for the next president or protest international violence or domestic torture or whatever the cause. We have a shitload of voices here, and I feel like all that's lacking is people and passion to rally those voices to do something good.

BU's blessing is its curse; the city of Boston. The city is wonderful, an extension of our campus. But Boston is also home to some of the most prestigious schools in the world, and BU is never able to fully shine in all its greatness when it's constantly in the shadow of these other schools. BU is constantly underrated, and a lot of people at BU are ungrateful and don't know how good they've got it here. I also hate those rankings that show BU so low compared to other Universities. This school is fucking hard! I've learned SO MUCH here -- about myself, about my major, about the business world, about LIFE! I feel well prepared as I'm about to graduate. I wish more people thought BU was as great of a school as I do.

The best week of your life! The First Year Student Outreach Project is a unique program at BU that allows freshmen the option to come to school a week early and get involved in community service. It's a really great way to meet other students, both freshmen and upper class men, and get oriented in the city of Boston! FYSOP has been one of my favorite things about BU so far! As an upperclassmen I've been a staff member twice, leading a group of freshmen through their first week on campus. It's great to see how much students come out of their shell through the activities, cheers, and volunteering, that are all a part of FYSOP. If you decide to come to BU I absolutely insist that you do FYSOP!

bu sucks. its too expensive for what it is. the academics are only mediocre, the advising is horrible. the school is more concerned with its reputation than with pushing its students toward academic success. many of the students seem like kids who are smart, but not smart enough to avoid spending a shitload of money on a mediocre school. the facilities are not nearly as good as they should be for the tuition students pay. the quality of professors is a crapshoot. dont go there unless you havea full tuition scholarship or have tons o money and can fit in with the rest of the rich, mediocre student body.

Compared to many other schools in New England, Boston University is extremely diverse. We have many students from various diffent backgrounds as well as a large percentage of international students. This can be clearly seen by the statisics of the students enrolled, but I have personal experience. I have met so many different peole in just one semester and have really increased my cultural experience. A boy from Mexico taught me how to salsa, and a girl from Brazil taught me how to speak Portuguese. I have made many friends from different cultural backgrounds that I wouldn't have elsewhere.

Boston University is located in the city of Boston. This places students in an area surrounded by a variety of enriching events. There are concerts, shows, sprorting games (Fenway Park), museums, and many more events either on campus or just outside. The proximity to these events provides students with incredible opportunities. I would suggest that anyone attending Boston University or visiting Boston in general takes advantage of these wonderful events. Boston University itself values diversity and there is truely something for everyone both on campus and in the surrounding area.

I dance, study physics, rock climb, attend sports games, go to museums and church, volunteer in the community, and love to meet new people. This isn't a personal ad for a newspaper; this is an abbreviated version of my "wants and needs" list during my college search in high school. Thus far, Boston University has met my standards 100%, which is saying a lot for a university. I wanted very specific things when searching for the right school and most really great colleges were missing something I wanted. Was it too much to ask? BU didn't think so.

There is an air around BU that is unlike any other college I visited. It feels electrically charged. Every time I get off the train at Kenmore station, and I walk up the stairs and out into the crisp air in the city, I always feel like I belong there. You can tell just by walking around the campus that BU has their finger on the pulse of nearly every academic field. This is especially true in the science department, where several Nobel prize winners teach. People who come here should be prepared to be immersed in their field.

The school is in Boston, so there are hundreds of amazing internships and jobs you can get. The management and health school really try to help their students succeed. I would only recommend students go to BU if they are applying to one of the smaller colleges, not to CAS. BU has also created a college called College of General Studies. It is known by students as the "stupid" kids college. The kids are just as smart, but many students do not feel as equal to other students because of the reputation of the college.