Boston University

« See more reviews of Boston University

I think the main stereotypes of BU students would be snobby rich girls, self-centered frat boys, and those that got rejected from BC. Neither of which I see as accurate. Some people that attend BU are richer than others, but there are not a lot of them who consistently brag about it. You will always have the few that see it as the most important thing to them so they talk about it a little too much. Boys, well yeah some are self-centered, but I must say most that I have run into are great! Everyone is looking to meet new people and see what someone else's life is like. Finally, not everyone that attends BU got rejected from BC, I know people who got into both and chose BU over BC and personally I didn't even apply to BC because I didn't like it so that stereotype is completely false !

Sure, there are a lot of kids from the New York suburbs, and yes - they'll be, for the most part, well-off. However, Boston University touts themselves as the 'second-most diverse school' in the nation, as long as one ignores the fact that there's so few African-American students. BU is a safety school in the same way that BC is an exciting school - one's not harder to get into than the other, it's just that you'll have a lot more fun at BU. Sure, there's no green pasture that students can call a 'quad' - unless you call the BU Beach anything but a sad patch of grass - but a city campus is just as easy to navigate and congregate on as a big state school. I mean, everything's pretty much all on Commonwealth Avenue, so it's pretty tough to get lost or overwhelmed.

To a certain extent yes I suppose they are. There are people who get dolled up for class like they're going to a club, and many of these same people drive their Beemers to class. I once heard it said that you know you go to BU when half of the class is on 75% financial aid while the other half could buy their own island country. This is probably a stretch--I'd say less than 25% of BU students are capable of purchasing an island. As with anything, it's all in who you chose to associate yourself with. You can hang out with the real, interesting people that go here, or you can surround yourself with douchebags.

Only some are snobbish, but the vast majority are clique-y. My recommendation for beating that, live in Warren freshman year and talk to as many other freshman as you can when you get here. Once social groups settle, the only way to make new friends is slowly through friends (of friends of friends...) BU girls are still known for partying, but academics have also gotten more serious at BU. The stereotype is also that it's mostly the CFA/CGS girls who bring the party, if you will.

I'd say sometimes. There's definitely the BU Female Uniform (north face, Uggs, Burberry). Academically, it depends on your major and the involvement you have. You can get as much out of the experience as you want. BU has more resources than just about any school in the area, with world-renown faculty... or you can just stay home and skate by by playing the system, it's really up to you. Not too many folks are actually invested in their education here, which is a bummer.

I think most people are well off, but with 16000 undergrads, definitely not everyone is wealthy. BU does great with financial aid, so not everyone comes from families with the means to pay almost $50000/year. As far as back-up ivy, I'd say that's fairly accurate. Definitely over 50% of people came to BU because their first choice school, usually and Ivy, rejected them (or BU gave them considerably more money).

To some extent, certainly there are a great many people who can attend BU and pay for the $40,000+ tuition without the aid of student loans, grants, or scholarships. However, I knew a lot of people who worked their way through BU, received scholarships and grants, and came from households similar to my own.

From my understanding BU students are often stereotyped as rich, materialistic girls. While BU does have its fair share of these girls they are by no means the majority of the student body. There are just too many different students at BU to make any one stereotype.

The student body at BU is too diverse to even try and put a stereotype to it. There are students from all 50 states, all US territories and over 50 countries. So if there is a stereotype out there, then no it is not accurate.

They are all false, except there isn't too much financial aid and there is a decent amount of school spirit and campus life (you just have to elect to get involved).