Boston University

« See more reviews of Boston University

Most popular groups are cultural groups and community service. I'm not really involved in any of the popular ones but the Indian clubs throw a lot of good parties with good dance music. Doors are mostly closed in dorms. Guest speakers can get very popular. I have no idea about athletic events. The dating scene at BU is notorious for having way too many girls and the guys are either taken or gay or ineligible for one reason or another. I've met a lot of good guys here, so just keep an eye open and be willing to talk and flirt and get to know people. I met my closest friends in Warren. Everyone was networking freshman fall semester so we all collided with each other and quickly found that we were a good match. I'm awake 2am on a Tuesday because I'm always awake at 2am on a Tuesday because I don't have class till 3 the next day and I'm watching Scrubs with people. People party a good bit. It's either clubs if you're old enough, small parties with friends, or frat parties. Frats are important for big parties, but I tend to go to MIT ones on BU campus. Last weekend, we had the Back Bay Ball. I got dressed up with a few friends, had a nice dinner, and went dancing. Then my friends and I went the next day to Teavana and found a tea that smelled like smoked bbq ribs so we got some and tried brewing it. Was not good. Also met up with different friends for dinner just to chat, one of them wanted to figure out a way to live in France this summer. Otherwise I relaxed and studied. Saturday night, no alcohol: see a movie, go to a party and.. not drink if that counts, bundle up with some good friends and just be crazy and hang out and take pictures, walk around outside where you will run into people who will be doing something crazy, join them. You could walk around Newbury Street or Boylston. Order a few pounds of chicken from Wings Over Brookline and see who's the man of the group. Off campus: movies, Boston Symphony, farmer's markets, Copley Place, Prudential Center, Cambridgeside Mall, hot chocolate from Burdick's in Cambridge, party, get into a 21+ anyway, people watch

The sports that are the most popular on campus would be our hockey, basketball, and soccer teams. They usually do get a good showing of BU fans to come and support their games during their season. BU is by no means a sports-dominating school. BU has actually just joined the Patriot League, which puts an emphasis on student in student athlete. Over 500 groups and organizations can be found at Boston University. I'm part of a few of the cultural associations, the College of Arts and Sciences' Dean's Hosts, and I participated in the I Embrace You club my freshmen year (the hugging club!). I loved the experiences from all of them, and there's always this huge event in the beginning of the semester called Splash, where all the clubs on campus advertise their clubs to get new members (and you can always snag a few free items too!). I would say a decent amount of students participate in community service organizations as well, with the Community Service Center's programs being always popular. There's a huge event each year called 'Global Day of Service', where students and alumni volunteer around Boston and around the World, and tons of people sign up (I've done it each year I've been here so far!). As for Greek Life, BU is definitely not a go-greek-or-go-home school. Around 14% of our undergraduates do participate in sororities/fraternities, but you don't need to join one if you're looking for a social life, because you can have one without them. There's always events going on at Boston University, and the Boston general area as well, so I've never had a day where I really didn't have anything to do. Go explore Boston, visit the Museum of Fine Arts, head to our BU Central to see local artists, comedians, comedy-sketch groups, etc., and you'll have a great time wherever!

There is honestly an organization for everyone at BU. Lots of students like to cheer for the hockey team, which is a commonality among most BU students. The programming council is also really popular, they plan different concerts and events for BU students. Inter mural sports are also a pretty big thing here, around 100 teams sign up for broom ball each sprig (wikipedia that one) The community service center offers opportunities for lots of different students to volunteer throughout the city of Boston and the Alternative Spring Break (ASB) program sends around 400 students to different parts of the US and Puerto Rico to volunteer during spring break. BU's ASB is actually the largest college alternative spring break in the country. In fact most BU students begin their time at BU by volunteering as part of the First Year Student Outreach Project (FYSOP). FYSOP give freshmen the opportunity to come to school a week before classes start and volunteer in the city of Boston. Over 1000 freshmen do FYSOP every year, and around 300 upper class men come on as staff members to lead the freshmen through this week. BU also has a ton of ethnic and cultural groups which are really popular among minority students. The Indian and Asian communities at BU are really tight nit and the Hillel House at BU is one of the most active of any college. With around 500 student organizations I'm really only mentioning a small percentage of what is available for students at BU.

The most popular groups on campus are typically sports teams. I have been involved with WTBU radio and it was fairly unprofessional. I was surprised that the so many violations were made when BU was actually put on air in Boston, even though our shift WAS in the middle of the night. Students in Warren, Towers, and West leave their dorms open - Shelton, Myles, and brownstones tend to leave their doors closed. Athletic events (especially hockey) are very important. Some political guest speakers are popular. Theater and CFA events appeal to a fairly sizable portion of the student body (especially because CFA is fairly sizable itself). The dating scene varies. BU has a good party scene but it isn't a party school. Hook-ups happen, as do drug and alcohol use, but the dorms are generally very strict in their alcohol policies. If you get caught once with drugs or alcohol (while underage or in the presence of minors) there will be significant repurcussions. If you're awake at 2 am on a Tuesday you are likely studying in a common room. Sororities are not allowed because of an old Massachusetts law stating that a group of 8 women or more alone in a house constitutes a brothel. Because BU is in the city of Boston there are TONS of activities for a Saturday night that do not have to involve drinking - most notably just wandering around and exploring the city. There must always be at least two expeditions to North End per semester!

I honestly don't pay attention - there are so many different groups on campus, pretty much anything you could think of is open for students to join. My personal favorites? InterVarsity Christian Fellowship Multiethnic (open to everyone, really friendly people - we like to hang out, play games, and eat food together) and Undergraduate Psychology Association (great events for psychology majors). I tried intramural soccer,, but it was difficult to make the games (they just so happened to always fall on a night before a had a major exam or paper due). Greek life is not big at BU, but if your into it, it's there. We have a Quidditch team, an origami club, mock trial, ultimate frisbee.... What you do on a Friday night really depends on you and your group of friends. Some people go out, some people explore Boston, you can always go to Mike's Pastry in the North end. Or you can hang out with your friends playing Bananagrams, Pterodactyl, the fish bowl game... In a freshman dorm, doors are typically left open so it's easy to get to know people. Even if I didn't have a lot in common with some people on my floor, you could always have a conversation and stop by. In apartments and upperclassmen dorms, this can be different, because some doors automatically shut, and people already have their group of friends (though are still willing to talk - they just don't need to keep their doors open anymore).

I'm involved in a theater group called Stage Troupe, which is very popular on campus. All the shows are student run and everyone involved is a non-theater major so there's a lot of different skills comming in. Again, Hockey is big. There is no football team at BU (though we do have a statue of Mr. Agganis in a football uniform hmm...). Especially as a freshman, you meet a billion people in like 2 days. Most people leave their doors open and everyone just all of a sudden becomes outgoing. Everyone is in the same boat so it's ok. Things tend to settle down a bit seconds semester, there are more routines, and friends get closer or drift apart. My roomates and I are really close, but people tend to meet friends in their extracurricular areas. My schedule deffinitly shifted at college. I used to go to bed like 11pm and get up at 6:30am for High School. Now, a weekday night is probably till like 1am and someone will taste my wrath if I see daylight before 9am. Never take 8am classes! Traditions tend to be withing your groups because BU is so big. Though I'm excited for Marathon Monday. Greek life is here but not huge. One of my roomates joined a sorority, not my thing really. There are lots of things to do on the weekends that don't involved alcohol, I promise. Boston is a city, so there are lots of city things to do. I also love a good old fashion movie night with the roomates.

I believe I am typical of many students at BU in saying that some of my most enduring friendships were formed freshman year while living in the Warren Towers residence hall (the second largest non-military dorm in the country, as they never tire of telling you on tours). My floor just seemed to mesh from the beginning of the year, and it was definitely the kind of place where doors were open and people were in and out of each other's rooms all the time. We drank together, played cards together (in particular the card game Mafia, generally at around 2 AM in the common room after everyone got home--we may have gotten a few noise complaints), watched movies and sports; I'll never forget when the Red Sox won the world series in 2004 and we crowded into a corner room, shifting our attention from the news on TV to the real scene right before our eyes before deciding to venture outside and see the riot. I lived with six other guys from that floor my sophomore year, and have continued to split an apartment with one of them ever since. We've never really lost touch, and I think that's one of the benefits of the larger dormitory-style residences. There are simply so many people to meet--even if your floor doesn't come together like mine did, there are 17 floors in each of 3 towers. That's a lot of people, and definitely one of the perks of going to such a big school.

There's a student group for everyone on campus. And if there isn't, anyone could start one. I play bass in the All-Campus Orchestra (through the College of Fine Arts and open to all BU students) and am heavily involved with the Community Service Center (CSC). The CSC is a great place to meet people from all over campus while doing service. One of the CSC's most popular events is FYSOP - the First Year Student Outreach Program, which freshmen and transfers can participate in upon arriving at BU. It's a great opportunity to make friends and get involved with community service. BU is a huge hockey school. Games on weekends are filled with students wearing scarlet and white. Greek life at BU isn't a huge deal, nothing (I imagine) close to big southern schools. But it does exist for those interested, and a variety of events are hosted by greeks each year. Partying is definitely an option at BU (as a freshman there are BU and MIT frat parties that are usually open, and more intimate apartment parties as you move up) and is there if you want it. If that's not your thing, there are countless other things going on both on and off campus. Comedy shows, concerts, plays and musicals (I recently played in the pit orchestra for BU On Broadway presents The Producers!) are always going on.

What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? hockey and broomball Tell us about a group you’re involved with. as a Dean's Host, I give tours of the school and work at the Dean's functions Do students in dorms leave their doors open? only when they're still on the floor How popular are athletic events? hockey is popular. the rest, not so much Guest speakers? we have some great ones Theater? not so much Tell us about the dating scene. it's Boston, there's college students and yuppies everywhere How did you meet your closest friends? freshmen year class If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? before senior year, studying...senior year, drinking What traditions/events happen each year? knightings at the pub, beanpot, painting the rock How often do people party? every weekend or so How important are fraternities/sororities? not at all What did you do last weekend? drank with friends What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn’t involve drinking? anything - explore the city, go to a show or movie, hang out with friends, go out to eat in the North End What do you do off campus? shop, explore the city, eat out

I wasn't involved in any BU groups, although there would be many advertised all over campus. I met my closest friends in class, and roaming around the dorms during freshman year. On the weekends, we would typically go to parties at friends' houses. There was a larger party-population at BU which included the few Greek organizations on campus, and while those always had a reputation for being great fun, I only found myself at one or two during my time in school. Often, friends and I would go around the city to eat in Boston's "little Italy" the North End, or catch a Red Sox game, or go to a local bar and shoot pool. The benefit, for me, of going to college within a city was there was never seemed to be a shortage of anything to do. Even if I wanted to spend some time alone, I could go to the park or to a museum to spend a few hours in quiet. The dating scene at BU is probably similar to that of any larger university. I dated guys I was in classes with or knew from friends, and while I didn't make it through my 4 years with my college sweetheart, many of my friend are will with the people they began dating while at BU.