Boston University

« See more reviews of Boston University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Boston University is such a diverse school with a plethora of colleges that there is not one stereotype that encapsulates an average student at Boston University. However, from college to college they are many stereotypes, but due to the diversity at Boston University and the high achieving nature of all students they are almost always false. A few common stereotypes are that all athletes are in CGS ( college of general studies) which is like high school 2.0. While all engineers are really smart and all they do is study. I know these are false because I am both a member of Boston University's Track and Field Team and a student at Boston University's College of Engineering. All of my teammates are extremely bright and high achieving people in all facets of their lives. And many of my classmates have enriched their experience at BU by not only taking advantage of all the great things in the classroom but outside as well.

I think the main stereotypes of BU students would be snobby rich girls, self-centered frat boys, and those that got rejected from BC. Neither of which I see as accurate. Some people that attend BU are richer than others, but there are not a lot of them who consistently brag about it. You will always have the few that see it as the most important thing to them so they talk about it a little too much. Boys, well yeah some are self-centered, but I must say most that I have run into are great! Everyone is looking to meet new people and see what someone else's life is like. Finally, not everyone that attends BU got rejected from BC, I know people who got into both and chose BU over BC and personally I didn't even apply to BC because I didn't like it so that stereotype is completely false !

For the most part, people think others at BU are smart, often rich, and from the surrounding New England area--if they aren't Asian, that is. Our international students do, by and large, come from Asia, and there are more of them than I expected. For everyone else, the stereotype holds true for the most part. Pretty much everyone who goes here is from MA, NY, NJ, or CT, and if they aren't from there, then they're probably from CA. People also tend to think people at BU like to drink and smoke. Many people do get drunk every weekend, and lots like to indulge in marijuana, but in my experience they won't bother you if you choose not to participate with them. However, I was surprised by the amount of people here receiving some form of aid, whether work-study or scholarship.

There is a stereotype of BU students as mostly spoiled rich girls and bro's heavily involved in Greek life. While there's definitely some of those types, I think the stereotype exists because those kinds of people who are involved in Greek life are the most visible. There are all kinds at BU, most of whom are brilliant and well-rounded individuals. Drug culture exists but is not as prevalent as drinking culture. Athletics are important but not pivotal. Overall, what strikes me about BU is the diversity of type and the fact that despite these stereotypes and the little truth behind them, most everyone is intelligent and interesting.

I remember searching for anything and everything I could find about BU during my college-application process, and one of the things I came across was the "stereotype." The stereotypical BU girls are rich and snobby, the guys are either gay or tools. The truth is, especially since BU is such a large school, there exists a very large diversity of people. I find that once at BU, stereotypes are formed more by school (COM, ENG, CFA, etc) but even within schools there are such varieties of people, and I constantly meet people who disprove any stereotypes.

One thing that people tend to think about BU students is that we are all sort of snobby rich kids. Not true at all. BU really does pride itself in a very diverse community of students. Finding a group of people who are similar to you or branching out and meeting a whole new group of people are both easy to do. Where you live and where you go to school within BU also has a lot to do with the people you'll associate with, but overall, it's not hard to meet students like yourself by just getting out and doing the things you like doing.

I think the stereotypes include everyone being rich and spoiled. A lot of people also assume that the students are "ivy-rejects" and that we're a second-choice school for a lot of high-achieving high school seniors. These stereotypes are definitely NOT accurate. With so many students here, you're going to find people from so many different backgrounds. As soon as you get here to BU, the lines really blur between those who come from money and those who don't.

There are a few stereotypes at our school and within our school. To be honest, though, I haven't really paid attention; one of the most striking things about BU is how different every person is and yet how they all have a place here. Not one person is your typical "frat boy" or "jock" or any simple stereotype.

BU is pretty diverse so it's hard to say that there is one stereotype. Greek life is only 10% of the school although it does have a presence. Sports is mainly seen in hockey and basketball. And while there are plenty of smart people, not everyone was a valedictorian from their high school.

The school has a large number of international students and students from city settings so therefore they are often wealthier and up to date on fashion. We do also have a large number of hipsters, but to try and define the entire university by one type is near impossible.