Boston University

« See more reviews of Boston University

What's the best thing about BU? Being right in the middle of Boston Name one thing you'd change. The non-major course requirements. Is your school too large, too small, or just right? Just right How do people react when you tell them you go to BU? No big reaction, positive or negative Where do you spend most of your time on campus? School of Management and the BU Pub College town, or "what college town?" College town! What's your opinion of BU's administration? They're pretty cool What was the biggest recent controversy on campus? Losing the Beanpot. Is there a lot of school pride? Not a ton, but enough Is there anything unusual about BU? They film MIT movies here because we're just that good. What's one experience you'll always remember? the 2004 world series, obviously What are the most frequent student complaints? housing rules and financial aid

Boston is one the best things about BU. It is such an amazing city to be a student in. Also, BU is such a huge school that there is always stuff going on and there all a million and a half things to do. Because it is so big, though, there tends to be a lot of paperwork and beaurocratic drag. Things take a while to get through the system. I would deffinitly have less red tape, though I understand why it's there. On the flip side, BU does a great job of making such a big school seem small and personable. My advisor is awesome, and Dean Elmore is basically great all the time (case and point he just tap-danced in dinner theater). Hockey is where all the school pride is; Boston is a great college hockey town. Also, a lot of pride goes to Boston sports in general. Even if you're from California you'll probably get sucked into Red Sox fever.

There is always something to do in Boston. BU is a 5 minute walk from Fenway, and only a 15 minute ride or less by train to the middle of the city. Copley Square (where all the sports partying goes on) is a 5-10 minute walk, and every year the atmosphere for all the sports teams is amazing. There is a lot of pride for our hockey team. Most people attend at least a few games a year and you can get into every single sporting event by paying a one time $90 fee at the beginning of the year. Classes are usually no bigger than 150 people (depending on what your major is). BU may be one of the most expensive schools in the country, but they give a lot of financial aid and scholarships to help out. Whatever you pay is worth the experience of living on your own in one of the greatest cities in the country.

The school has so much to work with and so much to offer. The dorms, if you are willing to pay for the nicer ones, are amazing. You are located in a nice section of the city with Brookline on one side, the river on another, and Kenmore Square at the end. Unless you love hockey or enjoy to watch basketball (even if not the best team) then you will find sports lacking. However, it's not too hard to become a hockey fan when your team is always nationally ranked. You also have a professional baseball, hockey, basketball all within a short distance and a pro football team outside the city. It defines college city with over 50 or 70 something other places of higher education in the greater Boston area. The university is also always building to make BU one of the best places to sleep, eat, and study at.

Boston University, to be honest, was not my first choice of schools. However, once I went through orientation and got on campus, I fell in love with everything here. The academics can be tough, one of the commonest complaints is "grade deflation" - you really have to work for good grades. However, BU holds high standards for its professors and it shows. They pride themselves on having classes that are accessible to students over having top researchers who are simply obligated to teach. While BU is considered a large university it's hard to walk down Comm Ave without seeing someone you know. People tend to be open and inviting if you introduce yourself. It's never hard to find someone to study with or a group of friends to hang out with. BU is a great university.

Far and away, the best thing about BU is Boston itself. From sports, to music, to shopping, to just walking around, Boston really does provide a lot of the fun of going to BU. The trick is finding fun things to do at night before you're 21. Boston is known for being strict on carding, and unless you want to spend a lot of time in frat house basements, freshman year you're best off just exploring some on campus options and spending time with friends. There's usually always a party going on, or a play happening, or best of all a sporting event, particularly, hockey. Really, there's never a shortage of things to do, but you'll be surprised how much time you'll actually end up wanting to just hang out with friends in your room or in the dining hall.

Academics. If there was just one thing I would like to change I would name it, but there are too many: bureaucracy, in bed with corporations, don't care what students do or think, more condoms on campus. There are thousands of things. Probably it is too large, but it is fine for me. They don't react. I spend most of my time in the library. Allston is a college town. BU's administration would be best suited to resign and have anyone else take over. Biggest controversy is the terrible administration. What is school pride. Is there anything usual about anywhere. I remember everything. Most students hate the administration.

Best thing about BU is the campus -- once the beautification project is done, it will be arguably the best urban campus in the US. The campus is what makes BU unusual. Worst thing is that we don't have football, so when the ice hockey team sucks (like it does this year), there's nothing to root for. BU's administration has taken great steps in recent years to be more in-tune with the student body -- they've added cable to dorms, added nice housing, built a fantastic gym, and revised the guest policy for dorms. Definitely on the up-swing.

I personally love everything about BU except the price tag. I love living in Boston, the chance to live in ancient brownstones, being right on the Charles, all that. There's so many classes and activities to choose from, everyone can find a niche. Some people complain that there's no football team (no football is one reason I came to BU, I wanted a hockey school!) but no one went to the games when there was a football team, anyway. There's free stuff going on every weekend, and Boston has so much culture it's hard to be bored.

I absolutely love BU. I think there are a lot of opportunities. I do believe a student has to make an effort to take advantage of everything BU has to offer, but once a student begins looking for opportunities there are a lot of people, both students and administrators, who really want to make things easy for you. I've met so many amazing people at BU and have had so many cool opportunities from studying abroad, interning, volunteering, and things like that, that have made my time at BU so phenomenal.