Bowdoin College

« See more reviews of Bowdoin College

For the most part, the varying groups have their own bounds, but the lines dividing are open enough to allow the welcoming of others in. Like any social situation, the students do hang out with the people they have the most in common with, but there are no barriers to these groups. People are welcome to enter and exit as they please. Clothes? Ranges on the student. Most very warm. Financial background is very prevalent, standard broke college students. Political leanings are relatively equalled out and not too highly charged on campus. And no, they don't.

The realiy is that the majority of Bowdoin students are white, upper middle or upper-class, and from New England. Of course, there are many exceptions to this rule, but it does describe the majority. However, 99% of Bowdoin students are really down to earth. Most students wear sweat pants or jeans and a t-shirt to class. People are not really into brand names here. The majority of the students would describe themselves as liberal. I would describe the majority of students as apathetic. People do not really care about politics, and they are rarely discussed.

I've met people on campus from all over, and with a certain variety in religion and socio-economic background. Admittedly, while the overall trend is towards richer people either from the northeast or the west coast, there is still some definite variation. However, most students are fairly open, so there is almost always a place for anyone to fit in at Bowdoin. Students are aware of politics and often quite active, but don't seem to be especially to one side. There are students to both the right, left, center, and libertarian on campus.

There is a WIDE variety of types of people here- I think that there is definitely a group for everyone here. I like to say that most Bowdoin students are "very mainstream with a few quirks". Most people are pretty friendly, and mix with diverse people. I get the sense that the vast majority of people here are very well off economically. If there is one thing that I don't like about the student body, it is that too many kids have the prep-school (wealthy) mentality, and there is pressure to fit in with that.

Bowdoin has a great LGBT group and good pro-women organitions. The race-related student groups like the African American society sponser interesting events. I feel out of place because of coming from a poor, rural area. There are lots of religious organisations and they hold good events occasionally, but there are no atheist or free-thinker organizations. There are active political groups. Left is predominant, but the campus Republicans are also vocal. People don't really talk about what they'll earn.

Half of our student body plays a sport, whether it be varsity, club, or intramural, so our student body is very active. Diversity on campus is increasing... admissions is bringing in many more international and minority students, and they all integrate within our campus very well. Many Bowdoin students are from "just outside of Boston." Students don't talk about money very much. We're more concerned with getting a great education so that we can enter the occupational world with confidence and prestige.

I would say for the most part Bowdoin is a pretty non-judgemental place, albeit still very liberal and New England. A lot of students tend to adopt the Maine culture as far as dress is concerned. Dress as warmly as you can! Thankfully if you are from a warm place you can cruise down to the LL Bean outlet in Freeport, 20 min away. Although it takes some students longer than others, I would say just about everyone I know has a group of friends or place where they feel they fit in.

While Bowdoin students are incredibly diverse with respect to their interests, they are not particularly diverse when it comes to race, sexual orientation or socio-economic issues. That being said, everyone is really interested in increasing the diversity on campus. No one would feel out of place here as everyone is so welcoming but many of the students here are wealthy easterners. This shouldn't scare anyone as anyone who breaks this mold is a hot commodity and source of interest.

Everyone is VERY accepting. It is considered very strange to not accept someone. Most students are very preppy. Everyone really interacts with everyone they want to. The only table in the dining hall which is really a "table" is the sports table, but that is really it. Most students are from right outside Boston. A majority of people are wealthy, considering the cost of Bowdoin, but to me it really isnt very apparent. I couldnt tell you how wealthy most of my friends are.

Bowdoin has a reputation of being a rich, white kid school and this is not completely off. But you'll find the people you want to find here. There are rich white kids, but there are also kids from every other race and walk of life. Geographically it is mostly kids from the East Coast and California. Students tend to be opinionated and political but not overbearing. The school is pretty liberal and many kids really like to work on environmental issues.