Bowdoin College

« See more reviews of Bowdoin College

There is a certain preppy-ness due to the amount of kids from prep-schools but they are hardly ever snobby or flaunt their backgrounds. Bowdoin happens to be in Maine where there is amazing outdoor activity being offered. Before coming to Bowdoin I was not an "outdoors" person but i found myself trying new things and joining the BOC. P.s. the BOC is a GEM on campus. Also a diverse amount of students from all around the world are found in the Bowdoin student body I find myself constantly meeting new types interesting characters on campus. Girls at Bowdoin are surprisingly very good-looking, and not only that very smart, witty and opinionated, not going to find a typical housewife type of gal at Bowdoin! Guys are all-around decent looking but you tend to find girls dominating campus activities/clubs when guys stick to sprots and intramurals.

Are there preppy and privileged students at Bowdoin? Of course, but this is the case at any school. While there are plenty of students from "just outside of Boston," there are also students from all over the world, and from every socioeconomic class. Just because it might be easy to point out "preppy" students, this doesn't mean that they are the majority. And as for the idea that we're all athletes, this is certainly not true. We have some great teams, but no one will think anything of it if your only form of exercise is walking around our small campus. I don't play any sports, and I have plenty of friends who don't either.

Not at all! While a lot of students wear winter jackets from L.L.Bean, there is a wide diversity in the styles of cloths worn by students, which reflects the diversity of the student population. More importantly, high SAT scores are not a requirement to get into Bowdoin. You are not required to report an SAT score, though you can send it in if you want. They instead look at you as a whole person, not just as a number. Good grades and high involvement in extracurricular activities are good features to have. It is important to note that the admissions process at Bowdoin is very selective.

Bowdoin students are definitely smart - there's no denying that. As to the "preppiness" of Bowdoin students, while we may wear collared shirts or expensive jeans, we are not nearly as preppy as comparable liberal arts schools. Also, we care a lot less about how other people see us than the stereotypical prep. Bowdoin may be less ethnically/racially diverse than some schools but there is lots of geographic and socioeconomic diversity... It certainly doesn't feel like all the same people.

No, and yes. There are athletes, and if you find yourself at parties or in class with them, it can seem overwhelming. There are New England prep school kids, but really, they've grown up, and maybe just haven't changed their wardrobe quite yet. Most students here are bright, engaged, and very down to earth...but of course, there are all ends of the spectrum.

I still feel like you can divide the campus into three groups: preps, jocks, and hippies, and any student here will probably fall under at least one of those categories. As for the part about the cold weather and the beer, I'd say that's true.

Somewhat. There are definitely those people here, but it's not like that that is all that defines them. It may appear to be a homogenous group at first glance, but people are unique and interesting under the surface (as is often the case)

To some extent they are but it's easy to branch out from the sterotype and even those that fit the sterotype are different then what youe expect (either by academic interest or extracuriicular etc)

There is definitely a large contingent of preppy, athletic, white, New Englanders on campus, but I wouldn't say that this stereotype negatively effects the student body as a whole.

Not really. Basically, you come to main if you like the outdoors, but most students have too much work to really go out and hike the trails.