Brigham Young University-Hawaii

« See more reviews of Brigham Young University-Hawaii

To be unique is to be something extraordinary. BYU-Hawaii is unique to other educational institutions because of its spiritually based and culturally diverse atmosphere. BYU-Hawaii is an LDS university that was built upon the doctrines and standards of the LDS Church. The lifestyle standard we choose to live here is high and not easily reached. However, the blessings that we recieve through our dedication reflect well within our education. The culturally diverse atmosphere here is unique to the world. Here people and their differences are celebrated and respected; we learn to mold ourselves to one other.

The agreement of the honor code, based on standards established by the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints , includes abiding by the standards of Christian living taught by the Church, being honest in all behavior, respecting personal and property rights, obeying the law, avoiding drug abuse, complying with all university regulations, observing the church's Word of Wisdom, abstaining from sexual relations outside of marriage, observing high standards of taste and decency, observing university standards of dress and grooming, and helping others fulfill their responsibilities under this code.

My school provided me a completely unique and global setting to gain an education while surrounded by over 70 countries represented through my classmates. It has given me unprecidented access to amazing professors who are practitioners and have real world expertise in my area of study (business management). Small classes, world class education, fraction of the cost, located on the North Shore of Hawaii. The culture of my school is so diverse and the culture of the many countries represented has opened my eyes to a global world, both from a personal perspective and career trajectory.

The unique thing about BYU-Hawaii is the spirit of Aloha that is present everywhere you go. There are students at this school from all walks of life, but they are all here for the same purpose. The unity that holds this campus together is one that overlooks cultural, ethical, and personality differences that could otherwise really divide a student body. This type of environment helps during studies because one does not have to worry about the stresses of trying to fit in or standing alone. The students are unified to "enter to learn and go forth to serve".

Growing up in Honolulu, it was a big change to moving into small town Laie. This school is not for party goers, it has a strict Honor Code enforced in the school. I also work for the Polynesian Cultural Center, Hawaii's largest tourist attraction as a Japanese Sales Representative. Brigham Young University Hawaii is designed to serve international student, so the student population is very diverse. Because Laie is a small town, the student board holds events during the weekends for students. There are also students that like to surf at the nearby beaches.

At BYUH, the college experience is enhanced by the fact that it lies near the middle of the Pacific, and is open to many foreign countries as well. This adds a diversity of student ethnicities, and it allows the student body to study and socialize with many different races. Besides that, it is a very beautiful institution, it is located in Laie, Hawaii; and it is well kept. The class sizes are small enough to be considered intimate, and still large enough to be called a class. The instructors are very pleasant. When you are on campus you feel spirited.

The cultural diversity that surrounds me is a melting pot of many different countries. I believe there are over 100 countries represented at BYUH which makes this more than just a growth of knowledge from books but also a growth of knowledge of different cultures. Going around campus and hearing different languages being spoken is something I never would've imagined. I now know words in Mandarin, Russian, Afrikaans, and other languages that I would have never learned had I gone to any other university that I considered when I was applying for schools.

Brigham Young University-Hawaii is unique because of it's level of diversity and it's drive to succeed. The school's motto is "enter to learn, go forth to serve" based on a quote given by a founder of the school which stated that those attending this university would leave to become a great influence for spreading peace throughout the world. It's an institution where all backgrounds are accepted and we're encouraged to step outside of our comfort zone. This pushes us to succeed and encourage each other, because we are all equally learning together.

BYU-Hawaii is truly an amazing school. It has a unique multicutlrual environemnt. BYU-H has a student body of 2700 students and has over 74 different nations represented. I have class mates from literally all over the world. During my time at BYU-H i have been exposed to many different cultures and languages, which has allowed me to open my mind and look at ordinary things from a different perspective. I have three room mates. One is from mexico, one from China, and another from America. This is truly a unique experience and a great school.

The unique thing about our university is the SPIRIT that surrounds our campus and it shared by the faculty, staff, and students. We are a church college and the spirit here is strong. The love for school, each other, and the mission to attend this university in hopes to go out and serve everyone. I also believe another unique thing about our school is that it is located in the middle of such a tight knit, loving, and supporting community of Laie. The northshore is just the place to be when attending school and BYUH has truly blessed my life