Brigham Young University-Hawaii

« See more reviews of Brigham Young University-Hawaii

Brigham Young University- Hawaii offers an education unique to many other universities around the world. It is an opportunity of a lifetime to come and study here in Hawaii. Not only do you recieve a top-notch education within the classroom, but also outside of the classroom. BYU-Hawaii is so culturally diverse that you will learn new things about the world and its cultures everyday. The only negative aspect of this Institution is lack of class flexibility during some of the semesters, since it can only offer certain classes during certain semesters due to its small student body.

The financial aid department is the most frustrating thing about this school. While they have great financial opportunities they are not at all well advertised. Most people do not know about the scholarships. To find a scholarship you have to search and search all over the website to find even one scholarship. When you can find a scholarship you usually do not meet all the recomendations. I feel that the scholarships are there to help the students and should be made easily assecable and gainable so that our college experience might be better. This would help future students as well.

Brigham Young University- Hawaii (BYUH) is home to more than 2,000 students from over 70 different countries. Since I have been here- less than a week, the hardest thing I am facing right now is making friends, and this because of that reason- diversity. Although it is great to interact with people from many different cultural backgrounds, after the initial meeting, the magic seems to die a little and often times, students will gather in groups that speak their language and share their roots. However, it is a challenge that can be overcomed I believe.

I don't know if it is the cultural difference or not, but sometimes some office workers might neglect their jobs. For example, one of my friends went to an office for getting her job. She wrote a lot of papers for applying. It must have taken much time to write those forms. She submitted it and waited for a long time. However, officers didn't reply to it for a while, and then she headed to the office. Surprisingly, they just said "Sorry, we just forgot about your application." If I were in the situation, I would be disapointed.

I am pretty sure there is no frustrating thing in my school. I love my school , especially the standards its providing, the culture we have to mingle with everyone. One thing which bothers me is, we as studentsfrom different countries come here to study and serve in our countries. Now to do that we need to build a trusteable relationship everyone because that's the only way we can improve each nation. We need to start a business in our countries and unite the world in one so we as students need to be kind of united every time.

I really get frustrated about the amount of homeworks teachers give. There would not be a day that would go by that a student would not have any homework. Every single day I have to check all my school websites just to make sure to check that I didn't miss any homeworks. Especially one's that have so much number of questions to answer which takes me more time than what homeorks should normally take. I mean homeworks aren't bad at all, sometimes it's just very tiring and frustrating when teachers would give too much to do.

One thing that is frustrating for those who attend Brigham Young University - Hawaii is the difficulty to pay for college. BYU-H is located in a very small town which doesn't provide a huge work force for the whole student body. Many students are still unemployed. Even without taking education into consideration, living in this area is very expensive. Minimum wage is the usual reward for those that do have a job. Such circumstances lead students, myself included, to work two jobs while attending school full-time.

The most frustrating thing about Brigham Young University is also one of its greatest attributes, that being its laid back attitude. The university is enthusiastic about learning and helping students acquire high morals while making them capable of building up their home countries when they graduate but it very much has a worry free Hawaiian attitude. A lot of the time it takes a little longer to get things done than it would at universities in the mainland because nobody here is in a hurry.

Brigham Young University - Hawaii, does suits my personality and my style of learning; the relatively small size of the campus/school creates an opportunity for students and professors to interract intimately. However, i wish more attention and resources would be channelled towards expanding the research scope of the college of math and sciences. Thats what i am most frustrated about, the college of math and science is receiving relatively less attention than the other colleges in the school.

The dress and grooming code feels overly restrictive at times. Sometimes for example, a man might forget to shave and upon entering the test center to take an exam, he would be kindly asked to come back at a later time clean shaven. Every student accepts the dress and grooming standards in order to be accepted into the university, but sometimes the zero-tolerance rule leads to frustrating experiences from what really is only an accident as simple as forgetting to shave.