Cabrillo College

« See more reviews of Cabrillo College

Perhaps the greatest struggle in life is to have a "balanced life." When things don't go as planned, it's okay; everything we go through presents an opportunity to grow. The sooner you can create a more balanced schedule, the sooner you will be running on victory lane. Yes, it is crucial to do well in school, but it is also crucial to have a life-giving community. Create specific study times in your calendar and once or twice a week be intentional about spending time with family or friends. Do keep in mind, college is not the same as high school, so don't focus too much on your social life. It is not fill in the blank worksheets. You will need to learn how to do research and study independently (and effectively). Invest in the people surrounding you, especially professors. Not only are they here to help you, they care deeply about you and want to use their wisdom, intelligence, and advise to help you in your life and educational journey. Live authentically and with purpose; the people surronding you are worth knowing and investing in. When an opportunity to serve someone presents itself, don't hesitate.

I would say to myself: Yeraldin I know you don't have a lot of money for college, but you shoud go anyway, there are many sprograms out there that are willing to help you economically. Take a weekend and just fill out scholarship applications and you will see that the help will come. Counserlors and teachers are amazing, always willing to help you, they are not monsters that want you to fail college. If you don't drive, that will be no problem because there are busses that can drive you to school. Housing can be expensive but there is many help out there example; Scholarships, Grants, and many woderfull programsone being Workstudy, this allows to work but aslso is very flexible and allows you to study when you need to and you are still getting paid. Not having a computer may become a problem but most of the campuses give you access to computers almost everyday. If you have no money to buy text books there are programs that can let you rent, borrow or loan you one. After knowing this, there is no excuse for not going to the college of your dreams.

Going back in time to when I was a senior, I am reminded of the choices that I was making for myself at the time. Trying to decide what to do, which school to go to, and what to study was very overwhelming. I personally came to the decision to not go to college right away and spent the next 11 years traveling, learning and discovering myself. While all of my friends joined the workforce or attended the university of their choice, I had embarked on a journey of personal discovery. There were many times that I was uncertain what the future would bring and had tolearn to trust myself and my decisions that I was making. Almost 12 years after my graduation date I really felt that I was ready and had built up a tremendous passion and awareness for what I wanted to do. Attending college now and looking back to when I was a senior, I would tell myself to trust more, fear less, and live fully. You will know what you are to do and when the time is right to do it, and remember to always love what you are doing in every moment.

If I could travel back in time and give my former high school senior self-advice, I would tell her to be brave and apply to prestigious schools. As a high school student I had no confidence in my abilities and thought I was not smart or talented enough to go to Harvard or Stanford. However, now that I have been attending college for three years I have learned that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to. I almost have a perfect grade point average and have rigorously applied myself to my studies. I would tell myself to have courage and believe in my capabilities. By not believing in myself, I lost a lot of opportunities and I deeply regret that. I would tell my past self to apply to all the universities of my dream. I would tell myself that only I can place limits on my future and that once I realize this I can accomplish any goal I want to. The best advice I would tell my past self is to dream big and not settle for any less than she deserves. Do not take the easy route, challenge yourself. You can do it!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now about college and making the transition, I would tell myself that I need to really be organized. I'm such an unorganized person and that is something that can really mess you up in college because a lot of times, teachers hand something out once and if you lose it, you're out of luck. I had to learn that the hard way before I really started to take organization seriously. Along with telling myself to take organization seriously, I would also let myself know that there would be times I wanted to give up, to just quit school and work or something. But I would remind myself why I'm in college, to get my degree as a Nurse-Midwife, delivering babies all over the world and helping women learn to value themselves and their babies. I would tell myself, once again that it was worth it and I would let myself know that while this would probably be the hardest thing I'd do in my life so far, it would also be the most rewarding.

If I was given the chance to go back to high school as a senior, I would have a very difference perspective on education, and would be able to provide myself with useful advice. My first piece of advice would be to take advantage of every educational resource possible. This includes giving as much effort possible in my classes inorder to achieve better grades. Work in college is much more difficult than high school, however if I put the same effort in high school that I now exert, the transition would have been much easier. Also, I would suggest taking more advanced classes that would have better prepared me for college course work as well as even put me at a better stand point for college. The biggest piece of advice I could give myself had I been given the chance to go back to high school, would simply be to take it more seriously. I look back now, and realize that I never utilized the reasources available to me, and I could have put myself in a better position had a cared like I do now.

This question is huge to me; I of course was the slacker in high school who believed education was a lame institution for those forced into the system. ?Why would you want to spend every moment with your face in a book reading about life when you could be out in the world living it.? that was generally my outlook. The normal rebellious teenager that new everything and some, than while I was searching for the perfect formal dress my junior year of high school I found out I was pregnant. While trying to process the enormous amount of change my life was about to take on I visualized myself living on welfare, uneducated with no focus or path in life. So note to my past self, education is everything, challenge your self and prepare yourself for the real world. In the sheltered halls of high school allow your self to succeeded, failure may occur but once you beat it and prepare your self for success and defeat your ready to embark on the biggest journey to invest into your future. Amanda Travers :)

I would tell my self that college life isn't easy and that all the hard work that i put in at high school will deffinetly pay off in the long run. Studying isn't easy and I need to now what my techniques are and how to use them when I enter college. People help me discover them in high school so I can use them out in the college world. I wasn't a student who missed any classes at all, I liked going to class, but i would say it's ealy not just to go to class and if I miss class or come in late, it's my own fault and nobody would care. It's called responcibility. People try so hard to get in the class your in and its like a battle field out there to get the classes you want. so if i don't keep up its too bad for me. There's a lot of stuff that I have learned in college, the main word I would say to myself is take responsibility.

If i could go back and tell myself one thing i would tell myelf to do hard things. Put my self in uncomfortable situations becasue that is the only way that a person grows. When they are faced with a challenge they cannot do anythign but face it head on. I recently moved to Santa Cruz and have been living here and barely making it by. I am doing thigns that most 19 year old kids would never dream of doing, but i put myself in this situation so i could grow and mature as a person. Through living on my own for my first two years of college, it has developed my character and given me a drive to succeed, because if I don't I will have to move back home and be miserable. I would tell myself to constantly challenge myself and don't be scared to go into a situation with faith and know that by pushing myself I will only grow.

Knowing what I know about college life is nothing I have learned from any of my life experience. I know That I am a 33 yaer old single father that is trying to make ends meet,raise two children in northern michigan. Not an easy place to make a good living that supports any type of family. Instead of futhering my education. Mistake number one. I went straight in to the work force. Did well doing so untill I move out of the city to not have my children grow up in the ways that I did. That was the second mistake. I was working for my fathers company at the time I moved. I did not like the fact that I was labeled a daddy boy. I left the chance to take the company over. That is the third mistake that I made. Now I am telling myself why I should of done at least one of the three things in life different.