California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

« See more reviews of California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

Now that I have gone through my first quarter in college I wish I would have known with more detail, that the free time that you think you have is not actually free time but a very important study time. Since senior year in high school it is very important that you commit yourself to studying on a regular basis, one way to help yourself whom I would have liked to have known before I entered college is to study one hour for every hour you are in class. Just remember that free time is actually study time.

I wish I had known what I specifically wanted to do for a career. I have a general idea, but I feel like at this point in my life, I have so many diverse interests that I can't hone in on one specific goal. It makes it a bit difficult to find and apply for things like jobs and internships. I can't really commit to the process yet because I don't know exactly what I want to do. While some of my other friends have had internships in their field for a while, I'm still looking.

Before coming to Cal Poly Pomona, I wish I had known that the farm store accepted meal points. It was not until the end of the year that I found out that I could use meal points to buy food there. If I had know about it, I could have been eating healthier the whole year. At the farm store they have fruits, vegetables, and other healthy food that is grown by the agriculture department at school. I would have have prefered that over the junk food that they sold on campus.

I wish I had known more about the clubs that were available. I never realized there are so many clubs offered in various types of things. I just joined the Pre Vet Club and it has helped me socialize and meet new people and create a network. If i had known about the various types of clubs i would have joined a long time ago to make friends in campus rather than just co- workers and old high school friends.

I wish I knew my true passion before coming to this school. I entered as an Aerospace Engineer, and now I'm a second year student entering Plant Science. If I had known that I liked Plant Science better, I would be caught up with my same year students in my major, but now I am a year behind and would start off as a freshman. That's not a bad thing, though, but just would have been nice to know.

When I first entered college, I wish I knew that it was OK to change paths and that the transformations in my interests and areas of study are a part of my growth and shaping my career path. I wish I didn't worry so much about where I was going -- the end goal -- because I missed some of the lessons along the way. College opens you to so many opportunities that should be soaked in and enjoyed.

Before I came to this school, I wish I would have known more about the neighboring resources like Pomona library location. I really didn't know much about Cal poly's location. This is something I schould have reserached a bit more before I attended the University. I had a hard time my first year tying to locate such resources that if i would have known before, could have saved me time.

I wish I had known that the cohesion between students and students, and students and professors, is not as strong as what is portrayed during orientation. I also wish that I was informed that my program did not place a strong emphasis on working with clients during your undergraduate studies because I wish that I had more experience in the field before entering a Master's program.

I wish I had known that the school is primarily a commuter based campus and that there really is no school spirit and/or support it seems like. I see cars all over the place supporting USC and UCLA as alumni, yet I rarely ever see a car riding around support Cal Poly Pomona. The morale among students here is definitely not the highest it could be.

I wish I knew that my program was a squential 4 year program; community college only prolonged my BS in Landscape Architecture. There should exist some kind of counter-advertisment to community colleges, ideally originating form admissions and outreach. The money saved is not worth it.