California State University-Long Beach

« See more reviews of California State University-Long Beach

Without a doubt, the recent tuition increases are the most unpleasant issue here at California State University Long Beach. Tuition increase is gradual and seemingly unnoticeable in that it is almost matched by financial aid, however not everyone can afford such financial asking. The cost of education here is very unpleasant for students; it is often a struggle to pay for school, in turn many students overwhelmed by rising tuition cost dropout. Tuition increases act as a barrier for lower income families to improve their financial situations, it is truly a hindrance on any hope of ever improving ourselves financially.

Commonly found at California State University Long Beach, is a collection of students who are superfically focused. It is uncommon to find students who have genuine care and concern for their fellow students. Students are more focused on their physical well-being and educational status than helping their fellow students. This problem causes a lack of genuine friendships and positive community to be made on Long Beach States's campus. This unfortunate reoccurence , takes Long Beach State's students multiple semesters, if ever, to find a community or friendship base.

Hands down the financial aid office. I am a non resident student so naturally my tuition is drastically more than those of residents of California. I work hard to earn and achieve scholarships, as well as getting financial aid, but the school does not seem to care when the University increases its Non Resident fees exponentially every semester to the point where i am almost am not able to attend the university anymore. This does not inspire a lot of trust and i have actually made the decision to transfer to Boise State University for the Fall 2010 semester.

The absolute worst thing about Long Beach State is that it currently does not have a normal gym that all students can access. Being able to have a place where one can stimulate one's body as well as one's mind helps to keep one alert. Without this the monotony of endless studies can overwhelm a student with fatigue. Every college should have some sort of gym or wellness center on campus that is free for students to use. Luckily, CSULB is in the process of remedying this situation by finally constructing a long awaited sports and wellness center.

The worst thing about my school is that a lot of kids place their social lives above schoolwork. some even tend to cheat, which is not tolerated in the school code, but in reality, cheating seems to go unnoticed. Also, I would like to add that my school has a lack of jobs available, and whenever I go to apply for one, they are all taken up. Although the current state of the economy is the cause of this scarcity of work, I really wish the school would create more openings. Surely there is need for help from students somewhere.

It's hard to say what the worst thing about my school is because there are so many flaws to choose from. The one detrimental quality about CSULB that seems to affect everyone is the fact that meeting people is extremely hard to do. With the ever expanding budget cuts, the university 100 courses were all cut. These classes were supposed to teach freshmen about the school and to help social interaction. Now nearly all lower division classes are huge and don't support meeting new people. Life without friends isn't fun.

CSULB lacks in school pride and unity. At such a big school, it is easy to understand that it is hard to unite students. The school has a diverse range of students-age, race, creed, gender, background, family situation, financial situation; there are many different people. Most students don't have time to support their school with lots of spirit. Most students at CSULB are there soley for a degree and are looking to quickly get out. This can be a bit of a bummer for the kids looking for a real college experience.

I personally dont like that CSULB doesn't have strong school spirit. Even though this could be because the majority of the students live off campus, I do belive a stronger school spirit would make students feel a lot more welcome and part of something bigger. We would have more of a reason to be proud of our educational institution while having the motivation to be invoved in extra curricular activites. This could be done by ecouraging more students to start their own groups and pursue the things that interest them.

The worst thing about my school is that there are so many different departments, it makes it hard to cooperate with each of their requirements. Alot of the time it seems as though these different departments don't communicate clearly with each other which puts stress on the new students to do thier own research and digging. It's alot of back and fourth movements just to see exactly what you need to do just to get a hold off your registration, or who to go to for a signanture to file for a medical leave or ed leave.

The worst thing about CSULB is the difficulty in getting into the school's nursing program. There are way to many students trying to get into the program, but not nearly enough room to take them all. In order to graduate when I originally expected to, I am taking two of the hardest undergraduate science courses this semester, and I wil be doing the same next semester. Not only that, but I basically need to have a 4.0 GPA in all four prequisite science courses to have a good chance of getting into the program.