California State University-Long Beach Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for California State University-Long Beach

Christine

I am a transfer student and have been attending for a year now. I enjoy the classes I have taken there. The counselors are helpful when you need help deciding on a major. I will be switching from studio art to English literature. My counselors helped me to choose which english major to do that interested me and would be good for my future.

linh

It’s a really good school. I would recommend going to this school because it’s really fun being able to meet new friends. There are so many extracurricular activities to participate in. The foods there are excellent. I’m usually pick about food but I really like it a lot.

Daryn

Good College. There are a variety of eating options on and off campus. Traffic is fast paced, but you get used to it. Campus police are available on campus. Overall, the campus has been around awhile but it is very scenic and the experience thus far has been pleasurable.

Alan

I am happy to be attending CSULB. I feel that a lot of life has for the better and its thanks to CSULB. I know I probably won't get to experience everything on campus but I'm happy to be able to a lot of things because of the university. Favorite thing is the gym!!!

Madison

I have been attending CSULB since I've graduated high school. The people on campus and faculty are friendly and willing to lend a hand. Faculty make education a priority so most classes may have attendance policies to ensure a great education. I appreciate the Greek life on campus and have been in a sorority since my first year. The campus is gorgeous and there's many food options, places to study, and the beach is accessible when you get out of class.

karen

I believe that Cal State Long Beach has a beautiful campus with a diverse population, has a friendly, green and positive environment and there's always things to do on campus. The professors are passionate about the subjects they teach for the most part and care about the success of their students. There's a lot of student on-campus involvement and a lot of opportunities for personal and professional growth as well as resources to help students reach their potential and succeed. I love our library, gym, and the people who make our school great!

Jenna

In my experience, in order to thrive at University, it's important to find your niche. The most open and honest connections I've had with both faculty and students happen in classes geared toward my intended major. I've learned a lot in regards to the skills I need to give me a better chance at succeeding in the workplace as well as how to hone skills I had already had. Overall the university is a great place to learn and grow and once you find your place, the possibilities are endless.

I appreciate the hard work the professors provide for each student and we strive to work hard and have fun at the same time. It is a diverse and large campus, so there are plenty of cultural clubs for people can join to not only learn, but to get out of their comfort zones.

Daniel

I believe that this school is one of the best California State Universities. It was my first choice when I was applying and I was ecstatic when I was accepted. I love the environment and how clean the campus is and the fact that smoking is prohibited makes the air clean. I am not fond of the housing however due to the fact that some do not have air conditioning and also they are too much like a prison.

Mike

A very good school overall, however not very much socialization happens outside of dorms (around 90% of students commute). If you really want to get involved though you definitely can, as there are many clubs and other activities you can partake in at just about any time during the school year. The professors are average, so just look for the good ones and you should be okay! Also as a side note, this is a HUGE school, so be prepared to walk miles a day or take the school's free shuttle to get around to classes. As another side note, if you're commuting, there is NO PARKING whatsoever after about 10:00 am. Parking fills up faster than you can say Long Beach so beware!! Good luck!

Chelsea

It's a nice school to go to- lax in nature. The people there, both faculty and peers, are very helpful and encouraging of personal pursuits. The atmosphere allows students to learn more about the world around them! They don't always have the best, most advanced resources at hand, but they make do with what they have. It's been a great learning experience and so I don't regret enrolling at CSULB!

Taylor-Ashley

CSULB is a very diverse campus and it has a place for everyone to belong. There are organizations that anyone can join, events occur on a weekly basis, the facilities are well kept. The staff is there to help the students in whatever they need. Workshops are held to help students achieve greatness. Overall, CSULB is a great university that is underrated.

Cady

CSULB is a great university, especially for history students. There are plenty of events to get students involved in various things, or our chosen career path. Faculty and staff seem to genuinely care as well. We are a tight-knit community.

Merary

The first time I stepped on campus, I was immediately welcomed by several friendly people. The campus itself is huge and lively, not every moment is boring. Teachers are willing to help you out and encourage you to do better. Also, there's several activities throughout the week and there's always something to do. As a big plus, CSULB is focused on the students' safety and there is a low tolerance on discrimination. I'm satisfied on my college choice.

emily

I consider Cal State Long Beach a second home to me. Everything, from fun social opportunities to educational endeavors , is made accessible at this school. I really enjoy being on campus because of the college's student friendly environment and the fact there always seems to be some kind of event that is put on for the students by the student government. I am particularly a big fan of the student recreation wellness center that holds a rock wall and pool, the University Student Union that has a movie theatre and a bowling alley, and the Japanese Garden. The only cons that this school has is that many of their facilities are outdated, but this obviously is an easy fix. Overall, California State University Long Beach is a unique college where the few cons that the school possesses is far outweighed by the pros.

Graciela

Long Beach State is overall a great school. The academics are outstanding and the faculty are there to help the student succeed. The students are exposed to many activities such as sports, clubs, Greek life, health services, and freedom of speech. One thing that Long Beach state has is diversity of students. Diversity is one of the most rewarding experience a student can be exposed to because it is a glimpse of what the real world is like post graduation . After graduation, students are going to work with people from different backgrounds. The encounter Long Beach students are given in their four years with diversity is going to help them become a strong candidate for the job force.

Sara

I think California State University, Long Beach has a great campus with lots to see and lots to do. The community is very diverse and open minded because we have people from all over. Nothing is perfect, but I'm really glad I chose to come here for my higher education.

Justine

I've had an amazing experience at CSULB so far. Most of the people I've met are very friendly, accommodating, and helpful. Most of my teachers are very prepared, professional, and effective. The dorms aren't the best; our building has roach problems and there's no air conditioning. They are also pretty dated.

Anthony

California State University Long Beach is a great school. It is well impacted with many opportunities to join clubs and enjoy the outdoors. There are many faculty that help out on campus and it is well informative of what events are upcoming and what the flow of the campus has. The environment is great and well impacted with many opportunities to join clubs and experience a great variety of gratitude. It is filled with advisors you are enthusiastic about helping students locate the next pathway to the educational success.

Shaianne

CSULB is a great community in a very diverse city. You'll meet different people from all different kinds of different bakcgrounds, with different beliefs and get to explore the different cultures and traditions around you in campus events. There's many different cultural events on campus. You can visit our Japanese Garden, overall it has been a pretty great experience. I'm about to start my sophomore year.

Kiryn

I think that this is one of the best schools I could have every chose to attend. I've seen many colleges and this was the one I choose because I thought the atmosphere was perfect, the teachers and staff are always there to help, and the students al share a strong drive to succeed. The school grows talented and intelligent groups of people that will become our future one day.

Kobe

This college like virtually every other CSU or UC have top of the line facilities and resources for students, professors, and visitors to use. However, are these luxuries worth the life-long debt that come with it? My answer is no and is why I transferred to Long Beach City!

Demaree

Long Beach State is a good school, the campus is very nice and the people are very nice and approachable. The academics is well and the sports is really good, lots of clubs and extracurricular activities here so it's very involved but I think they should have a better way of accessing advisors, the online appointment center doesn't ever work so I have to go do walk-in advising which can take up to 2 hours in waiting. The parking is horrid, that's the real problem, parking.

Tom

California State University-Long Beach is definitely a great university. Although I am just a freshman, I feel that everyone that I have met have been nothing but nice to me. The school has amazing academics, and the students are super kind. They are not only are friendly but they also care about learning and your success as well. We are united as a campus, and it is something that I love about CSULB. The academics are also very straightforward intuitive and professors here are very intellectual with students. I really love this school overall, and I think you would love it too. Go Beach!

Ellie

An open-minded environment with a lot to do if you look at the right places. The Long Beach area is not ideal, but if you put yourself out there and find the right group of friends, there is plenty to enjoy around the area. The professors are always available during office hours and via email. The library has extensive hours and there is also a 24 hour study center available if you need. There's a good variety of food options and the Recreational Center is amazing. You get what you put in and I loved the experience I had at Long Beach State.

Claudia

This has been my dream school for a long time and I was so excited when I got accepted. The people are friendly, the professors and counselors are helpful, and it is a very nice, welcoming environment with a wide variety of majors and clubs. I am lucky to attend this university.

Maurice

California State University Long Beach is more than I had expected it to be. CSULB has a lot to offer. My thoughts on state schools were very low but CSULB to me is more than a school that receives money from the state. CSULB is a full college experience with no limits. The teachers care about the student's education. The atmosphere motivates people to be social and take on current issues and how to make the world better. CSULB is a change maker school in my opinion. There is plenty of events on campus which encourages students to get involed and be active.

Brianna

This college is really nice. The only thing is that it is SO big it literally takes me 20 minutes to walk to my class. I only recently began to utilize the campus shuttles, which are AWESOME especially on the hotter days. I have never had any problems with teachers or students.

Marissa

I think the campus lovely and the people there are very polite. I never had a problem with mean or dangerous people. I'm not afraid of asking people for advice, people here seem very educated. It's a well rounded bunch of people, there's bound to be people you can find that can relate to you.

Eilish

Long Beach State is a great place to be no matter your race, gender affiliation, or sexual orientation. CSULB is a great place to call home. The people alone are a major part of the Long Beach community, on and off campus. Will forever and always support Long Beach State!

Marya

It's been three going on four years since I've been at this campus and I love it more every semester. It's known to be a commuter campus but regardless there is so much going on, on campus that it's difficult to not be involved. First impression as a Freshman would be how friendly the vibe is here and as an incoming Senior, this place has become a home for thriving minds to explore and grow in an amazing community.

The curriculum is tough, but I can definitely handle it because of the many resources accessible to me. My favorite part about the University is the diversity and the liveliness. I've met quite a few people from different cultures within two semesters and there is never a dull moment while on campus.

Ayianna

Overall, I really enjoy CSULB. The campus is not too large, but there is an incline that separates the two parts of campus that provides plenty of walking exercise. When it comes to the students, it seems hard to make friends because it is a big commuter school. Since I commute, I don't have many friends outside of my major, but I know plenty of people who make friends through greek life, student government, clubs, sports, and teams. There are definitely ways to get involved at CSULB, it just may seem hard to jump in at first. As a dance science major, I have gotten to use a variety of the facilities at CSULB, and they're not bad overall. There are definitely a couple of old buildings that I have not been into that probably need some attention, but CSULB is pretty good at updating the infrastructure and providing current resources to their students. I don't know much about dorm life because I am a commuter, but I have visited them and they are quite small. I have had no problems commuting to CSULB, as they provide shuttles and a bus pass for us to use. As for the staff and faculty, I have pretty much only had pleasant encounters when asking questions and seeking more help from professors. Overall, the school is warm and welcoming, and if you want to be social, there are opportunities. On the other hand, if you just want to get your degree and go, that is also a possibility. Obviously there will always be room to improve, but I feel that CSULB is trying to continue to take steps in the right direction to please the community.

Mateo

I love my university. We have plenty of opportunities in every aspect of college live. for example, we have more than 150 clubs and 43 Greek organizations to help you be involved in campus life. Also we have a lot of programs that help you with your academics, like free tutoring and workshops. We could improve more with parking and classroom equipment, because for parking it is always packed and people take a long time finding a spot ; and the classroom equipment is usually old and outdated.

Valerie

If you get involved in clubs, or greek life, you will have a very fun time. It is not enough to just go to class and leave. You must engage in conversation, find "your" people. There is a group and safe space for everyone. If there isn't, you can create it.

Katherine

Overall, it's a lovely campus with beautiful attributes. I love their japanese garden, the cafeteria and the recreation center. The only problem that I have with the school is the parking. It's downright terrible. I have to go an hour early just to find parking, and it only takes me about 24 minutes to get to school. The students who come later than 10 am circle around the parking lots like hawks and once they see someone walking to the lot, they immediately follow that person and automatically assume the person is leaving. The campus is very huge so it does get tiring to walk around but they provide free shuttles which is a great idea. I really like how diverse and social my school is. Overall, it's a pretty great school to attend.

Cedrick

Cal State Long Beach is a pretty good college. You'll always find some good friends here, and the food is not too shabby. The environment is mainly comforting, and the professors really try to do their jobs to help us learn. Albeit, there are a few downers - rare cases of sexual assault, and uncommon cases of car thefts; expensive textbooks at the student bookstore; some lackluster student activities the college puts up. But don't let that influence your judgement of this school. If you're looking for an affordable college, and a good college life, then Cal State Long Beach is a good choice to look at.

Roxanne

My first year here. Such friendly students, faculty, staff... Everyone is here for the same reason: to learn about the things we're interested in and make a mark on the world. My peers keep me inspired and focused. It's hard to lose sight of your goal when you go to CSULB :)

Kaitlin

The student body at Long Beach State University is very diverse, and there are many resources available for students. Professors are accommodating and always willing to meet to answer questions. The campus is also very active; many students are biking and skateboarding around. Furthermore, the amount of clubs and recreational sports on campus promote camaraderie among students outside of the classroom. Overall, Long Beach State is a great school and among the top-ranked state universities within California.

Brooke

I am proud to say that I was accepted at California State University Long Beach, and currently I am in my first semester. The campus is huge, and at first it can feel overwhelming, but once you get used to your class schedule and parking, you will feel right at home. The professors are very passionate and knowledgeable, and the students are diverse and friendly. It is easy to feel safe and accepted. One of my favorite things at CSULB is that there are a variety of places on campus to get an affordable meal or a coffee.

Rebecca

As a student who applied and has been accepted to the University, I can say that I absolutely love this school. When I first stepped onto campus, I was immediately welcomed by the students giving the tour. They treated me as though I was already a student there. I truly felt like I belonged there. The campus is very friendly and is always lively. There are so many clubs to join and they make everyone feel included. At this university, it truly feels like home, and I hope future seniors in high school consider applying and attending this school in the future.

So far, I am very much enjoying the campus. There are always things to do like go to the gym or hang out in the library. The professors are generally very intelligent and understanding. The campus is very nice, and I think it's quite safe to be at. There is also such diversity here at CSULB.

Santana

I really do enjoy my school. I love the environment we are located in and the gym facility is very nice. I do wish the campus made more of an effort to be more eco-friendly and sustainable. We also could be doing better in the sports involvement category as we still do not have a football team which I think would greatly improve campus morale.

I love it! The school is amazing. I love all the people I meet in my classes. I enjoy the classes and the content I am learning. I like my professors and how they are always available for me to chat with. I like that there is multiple Starbucks on campus. The campus library is great and very useful. Cal State Long Beach is the best.

The campus is very beautiful and is just ten minutes away from the beach if a few people need to relax after class and get fresh air. The campus is very welcoming and although there are not many places around and is enclosed by residents the campus is still very beautiful.

TRINH

I think California State University-Long Beach is beautiful campus. The side walk is planted with lots of trees and flower. Staff are very friendly to answer all of the question regarding enrollment, financial aid and other activities. One thing I love about this school is that professors are very approachable when students need help with their assignments, The new "Breath" campaign to ban cigarette smoking is very meaningful to reduce the risk of getting illnesses and improve the quality of life for many students. California State University, Long is truly care about student's academic performance, health and future's goal.

Aaron

I am blessed to have the opportunity of going to CSULB. It is a nice campus overall. There is an great amount of diversity in the student body and academic opportunities. Parking is a hassle and registration is extremely stressful. A compact semester schedule is difficult to come by.

Taiz

The school is wonderful for someone to step into the next chapter of their life. It is very welcoming and everyone helps you feel right at home. The environment allows for many opportunities in different clubs and activities, including sports. It is a very safe school and people are very nice.

Armando

The atmosphere at the school is quite welcoming. You are rarely bored when you're at college as there is always something to do. From movie nights to the food court, there is always something to do. The professors are always happy to help a student who has questions about the subject and clear up any misunderstandings. CSULB is a great place to be at.

Devin

A great school where I was provided various opportunities to engage in the numerous interest I had as an undergraduate. Very thankful to have been able to graduate as Kinesiology major with an emphasis on Exercise Science which is helping me now in future goals of becoming a Physical Therapist!