California State University-Long Beach

« See more reviews of California State University-Long Beach

“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” So true was this saying by James Dean that I must acknowledge that there are countless things that I would advise myself back in high school. Primarily, it would be the matter of furthering my education. After graduating high school, I proceeded to college for a few semesters then dropped out. Reality was now a truth. I would tell my seventeen year old naive self to hold on tight and keep my feet planted. Education is a gift that will always present itself appealing to one who appreciates it. Additionally, I would also advise myself to get involved with assisting the less privileged citizens of our society. As teenagers, many a times we are not considerate to the difficulties of some, rather, we have this egocentric mentality where we are the only ones residing on the face of this universe. Finally, I would tell myself to be a better son to my parents. I have given them much grief over the years and to remedy that, I would have the best of manners with them.

I would tell myself that the best investment I could make towards my future life and success will be to invest in myself by obtaining a college education. I would make a strong case for working hard, staying focused and disciplined while discovering what interests me as I attend college. I would paint a clear picture of a future where the benefits of today's investment will more than reward me for the minor time sacrificed while earning a bachelor's degree in my field of choice. I would point out how the options afforded by a higher education can help minimize any potential down turns in the future and provide a sense of security and added peace of mind. I would dare myself to conceive the bigger picture that is a life's legacy for my future family where excellence is expected to continue for the greater good of our future generations and society at large. Most of all, I would encourage reaching out for help when needed and in building good, solid friendships and relationships that can offer support and advice along the way.

Hey there high school me, it's college me writting. I just wanted to pass on some encouragment and helpful tips. First off, put in a little more effort in high school. You might not think that it's worth it, but believe me you will be in a better place emotionally and figuratively if you get into Cal State Long Beach the first time. San Francisco State was a blast, but remember who you are and don't fall into groups that will want you to change. Friendships from high school are important, but hang on to those few close friends, they are the ones who get you through all the hard times ahead. Don't worry about fitting in, you are a funny, friendly, great person who will find the right friends. Start saving money now! It's expensive in the real world, but great fun, so plan ahead and don't put extra stress on yourself because of money. Continue the hard work, and always remember who you are and what you are doing this for. Stay strong, times get tough, but you will come out stronger and smarter in the end. Good luck high school me.

I had an interest in an impacted major so I had to work hard just to declare that major. I spent many weekends studying and canceled many outtings to stay on top of my school work. Of course, I still had fun once in a while but it was not enough to say that I have experienced many college events, sporting events, and many others that I wish I could have experienced. I remember college students telling my high school class that "college is hard and you have to study 247" and teachers saying that "we have to sacrafice our social life to succeed in college". I always kept that in mind and I am thankful; however, if I could go back, I would tell myself to make sure I give myself time to have fun and enjoy college. I would tell myself to find a way to integrate school work and social life. There is nothing wrong with working hard because eventually I got into my major, but there is also nothing wrong with enjoying life. When one does not enjoy life, how will one get the motivation to go day by day studying for a college degree?

The transition between high school and college can be rough and discouraging, but it can also be smooth and exciting. The transition is always nerve racking whether the college is 20 miles or 200 miles away form home. I was a senior just moving a couple cities away from my parents, but I was scared I was not going to enjoy life without my parents and that I was not going to be as smart as everyone else. If I could go back and advice myself I would go over a couple of things. First, I would tell myself that it?s okay if I don?t know everything because no one does, and that the point of college is to gain knowledge. I would aslo tell myself that I would be fine without my parents because I can do things without them by my side. I would say to the senior sitting nervously in class thinking about college, that everything will turn out fine because college is not a horrible frightening experience it is an exhilarating rollercoaster experience. At times you may want to stop the ride, but through it all you want to hop on it again.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I'd give myself plenty of advice. Firstly, don't be shy to talk to strange people. Everyone is looking to make new friends and college is an opportunity to start over. Life (and college) is too short to waste time hesitating and being scared. Second, save money! The bad economy and rising tuition doesn't help college life. So many expenses other than textbooks attack our wallets. Finally, the most important piece of advice I could give is don't take what you have for granted. Friends, small classes, your bed and even time. College is a rough transition in which we're shoved into the real world. Everything is done on our own. In high school so much is done for us and we don't appreciate. Even school friends need to be taken advantage of because they wont be there to help next year. I would tell myself to enjoy what I have before it gets taken away. Sure, college will bring new and fun experiences. But the experiences from high school will never be relived, so take advantage.

If I could go back in time and give myself advices as a high school senior, I will tell myself to study harder for the SAT and ACT test. My SAT and ACT scores were not as high as I wished. Because of this, I eliminated my chances from getting into many colleges I hoped to get accepted to. Another advice I will give myself is to apply to college early, don't procrastinate. I didn't start on my college applications or work on my college essay for months like my friends did. Therefore, when the deadline for college applications were coming closer, I was stressing out and panicking. Another advice I will tell myself is to volunteer more. I rarely gave time to volunteer. I wished I had volunteered more so there is something proud that I had done I can feel good about. I will also tell myself to get more involved. Some colleges stress the fact that you had a lot of extra curricular activites. It would had been a lot easier applying for different scholarships or even jobs if I could had written how involved I was in high school.

If I was able to speak to myself before I entered the California State University of Long Beach, I definitely would let myself know that money is a big issue. That even though a four year university might allow you to enter your major and make the friends that would continue on with you until you graduate, that maybe it would be more beneficial to attend a two year college and then transfer. The distractions at a four year university aren?t worth receiving bad grades because of them. I would also let myself know what I intend to be interested in so that I would not waste my time taking courses that are unnecessary. When it comes to academics, even though it is common knowledge, I would let myself know that it is necessary to begin studying for the course when it starts and not a few days before. I think having it come from my own mouth would benefit me a lot more. And to enjoy the time with my family because they are the ones working over-time in order to send me to somewhere I wanted to go and not somewhere I needed to go.

College has given me a sense of pride and accomplishment since I began two years ago. Being one of the only members in my entire family to attend college has motivated me greatly to become something in life, and be all that I can be as the saying goes. After I attain my Bachelors in Business Management, I plan on helping out my parents who have tried so hard to give me the life they could never have, and the things I have always wanted. Although they struggled a lot financially, my parents have always supported me in every aspect that a parent can support a child. College is valuable to me because aside from the fact that I will graduate and go on to make a better life for myself, deep down inside I know I would be giving my parents the one thing they wanted most from me. And that is to have a better life then they had, and in turn provide a better life for my children when I become a parent, so they could do the same when they have children. Because family is important in life, and I believe that family is love forever.

My best advice would be to choose the college/university that you feel more comfortable with. If you don't feel comfortable or at home on your campus, you will hate it. If you're like me, you'll be spending most of your time there, and you need to love it. Parents: let them have some free range to enjoy it. The best part of a college experience is being able to find out who you really are and what you love.Let your kids find that out for themselves - you can always be there for them, but remember: this is their time. Students: STUDY STUDY STUDY! The first year will seem like a breeze and you'll think, "This is so easy, what did I ever worry about?" And then your upper division classes start coming and it's a whole different story. If you don't prepare and make good study habits from the beginning, everything will fall apart as time goes by! Social life is always extremely important, but if your grades fall, everything else will follow. Know what you want and go for it, and remember: college is the best time of your life!