Pittsburgh, PA
Carnegie Mellon University

Dean

Carnegie Mellon University is a unique school, in that it emulates elements of nearly every other kind of school (big state party schools, the Ivy league, research schools, technical schools, etc.). At CMU, if you choose to identify with one of the aforementioned school types more than any other, it's totally possible. We have greeks that go hard, athletes that go harder, and geeks who, obviously, go the hardest. People here are ridiculously smart - going here will make you feel unqualified, but that's fine - the people around you will be your greatest teachers, not your professors. The weather is REALLY bad, like easily the most depressing thing about this school, but if you can get over humidity and constant dreary gray rain, then sure, this school is great for you. Great for computer science, great for architecture, great for drama. For business, the ranking is a bit of an exaggeration on the quality of education here - the classes are disorganized, the kids are disheartened, a noticeable proportion of the class is made up of athletes who don't always qualify for other schools at CMU, so having intellectual conversations with the business kids is pretty difficult. The business program is also poorly organized, at least in the first year, and this leads many students to consider transfer. Other than that, CMU is a great community for innovation, exploration, and conversation.

Colleen

I am currently enjoying my experience at Carnegie Mellon. Although there is a lot of work, the community that you are surrounded by (student wise) are very friendly and very open to help. I was worried about having a difficult time making friends, but I have found people who accept me for who I am and are always there to help me when I need it. There are also a lot of dogs on campus, which is always a win.

Sofia

One of the most important things that I considered when applying to colleges was the community I would find in each one. I wanted to attend a university where I felt included, respected and cared for. The community at Carnegie Mellon University has given me that and so much more. The people I have met here have been so kind and friendly to me. It warms me up inside everytime one of the workers tells me 'Have a good day' or 'How have you been?' Or when someone I know waves at me in passing or calls my name with a 'Hey' and smiles. They make me feel like I matter, and that I'm not just one of many. Another thing I love is that there is always someone to help when you need it, and you never feel judged. Coming to a 'smart school', you have this notion that everyone is competing with each other and trying to get the best grades, but that just hasn't been the case in my experience. Here we are encouraged to seek help and work with others. Everyone wants you to succeed, and it isn't about being the best in a pack, but the best person you can be. I'm often reminded of when Dumbledore tells Harry "Help will always be given in Hogwarts to those who ask for it" because it is completely true here, and probably one of the best lessons I have learned.

Rahul

It is an excellent school academically, but it needs to improve student life and health. Although students can join various extracurriculars, creating an organization requires excessive time and energy, which could be used for academics. That said, CMU provides its students with exceptional educations.

x

one of top Us.

one of top Us.

Peter

Overall, it all comes down to the student. If you know how to balance your schoolwork and social life, then CMU is a great place to be. The only complain I would make is that it's really a lot of hard work, but you should know that if you're enrolling. The professors are very willing to help and overall, CMU does everything in it's paper to make sure each and every student succeeds not just in the classroom, but in life too. I don't regret my choice to go to this school, no matter how my GPA looks, and if I had to choose again, I would choose CMU.

Audra

Carnegie Mellon is best known for it's drama program and robotics program. Additionally, it's overall world renown for it's computer science , engineering, and arts conservatory programs.

The journey will not be a straight line. You will not come out of college with the same career asperations and life visions you went into. The experiences you are most afraid to try will be the ones you cherish, that you turn over in your head an adult when things are uncertain. Don't be afraid of going abroad. You can and should never ben ashamed of asking for advice. However, remember that you already unciously know what you want. Listen to your gut. Take photos. Take photos of all those moments that seem fragile and transient. Don't be afraid to make mistakes or to go have stereotypical college experiences. The time to be an adult comes sooner than you think. You can trust your college friends with your hardships. When you are diagnosed with thyroid cancer junior year, you don't need to bear it silently. Your friends are stronger than you know and won't begrudge you help. Never let yourself stop writing.Once you reach graduate school, it will seem so important to learn to be professional, but don't allow yourself to lose the love of capture a moment in words on a page.

Carnegie Mellon is known for being rigorious. It's not uncomon for an ungraduate degree to take longer than 4 years to complete. The students that attend here should not be timid or unclear on who they are. Those with no work ethic need not apply. A person who has no clear vision of their future will not thrive here, because they lack thae motivation to pull them through the long nights. He need to be thick skinned, self starting, and open minded.

Connor

One of the most underrated student bodies in the country in terms of intellect. Overall impression is that this is one of the best schools in the country to focus on academics and be thrown into interdisciplinary study. Every student at Carnegie Mellon chooses a specific major in one of the 7 colleges and is required to minor in a college other than the one they are majoring in. This makes every student on campus have a really specific knowledge in their major and an often unrelated and multidisciplinary edge due to the minor requirement. CMU is a great school for students who know what the want before they get to college.

The stereotype in Pittsburgh in the northeast is that everyone at CMU is a bookworm. In general, it is true. People study here a lot, but it's due to the fact that everyone is really invested in what they are studying.

Robotics engineering clubs, Formula SAE racing, service organizations and a plethora of business clubs that cover every field of business.

Carnegie Mellon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.