Jefferson City, TN
Carson-Newman University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Carson-Newman University

Carson-Newman College is a Christian liberal arts school that has a low student to teacher ratio, great choices in classes, and many, nice friends that are more like my family.

If I could go back and tell myself about college life, I would mainly discuss the worth of high school. There were few things I took away from high school, including being able to write an essay and time management. The things that I thought would follow me forever, the important things in high school, did not. I no longer know who Jillian is dating, or if Abbey is still having drug problems. The most important battle that two of my friends were having over a teacher they liked then seem so petty now. I no longer know anything about the social athmosphere of my old high school. I would go back and tell myself to stop paying attention to the shallow culture of pubescent chit chat and more to things that I could use. I should have learned how to manage my finances and my health. Most importantly, I should have known not to waste my time, effort, and emotional stability on a boy when just a month in college I would find myself a man. High school realy doesn't matter.

The thing I wish I knew the most was how to stay healthy in an atmosphere that is completly unhealthy. The late nights, unhealthy foods, snacks, caffine, and the need to do homework instead of exercising realy doen't help the average student. Of course, the athelites work out like crazy, and they get trainers to help them and masages afterward. The athmosphere does not promote healthy attitudes.

As a high school senior, I thought I had the world figured out. I was on track to attend Carson-Newman and was more than on top of my scholarship applications. However, once I came to school, I began to understand that there is so much that I do not, well, understand. There are ideas, theories, philosophical notions, and religions that I have never even heard of, and this school has encouraged me to grasp as much of the world's knowledge as I can. I echo Tao Le Ching when he said, "The more I know, the less I understand." I would encourage my high-school senior self to be open to new ideas, even if they contradict your own. Sometimes, it is important to explore the world around us even if we disagree with most if it, if nothing else, for the sake of argument. I am learning day by day, that I truly do not have it all figured out. No, I cannot say that I will ever have all of life understood; however, that is just one exciting part of my journey.

Someone who doesn't want to be called on in class, who doesn't want teachers and students to know them by name, and who hates small campuses

Lisa

If I could go back to high school there are three major changes I would make in both how my first semester went as well as when I went through the choosing process of what college to go to. First off one thing I would have changed from my first semester is I would have tried to get more involved in various activaties. It is a fine line between over loading yourself and then not doing much of anything. Getting involved helps make the time go faster and helps to relive the stress of the homework load. The second thing is obvious and almost every college student will tell you this do not procrastinate it is the worst thing you can do. As for choosing a college the thing I would change would have been its not nessecary to go half way across the country to get away from home. You may think that you want to leave the state so you can be away from your parents and have freedom living at college you have that freedom even if the school is only an hour away from home. Another thing is pay attention to cost especially if your paying.

The worst thing about Carson-Newman would have to be parts of the administration. The teachers are amazing and some of the faculty are to. Some areas of the adminstration makes it difficult to get things done. One example of this was my advisor told me it was almost impossible to do my double major which is Special Education and Elementary education. She said this was extermly difficult and almost not possible to do in four years because of the particums involved in each. She didn't offer any encouragement for me doing this and did not suggest another plan.

One of the best things about Carson-Newman would be the size of it. It has a little over two thousand students. Class sizes are small and most professors will try to get to know you a little better so it is nice that you are not just a number. The small size of the college also helps when you need help from a proffesor ,yes, they have office hours but usually it is not hard to get in to see them or contact them via email and other means.

Leslie

The only thing that I would do different about high school is to learn to study. High school was easy for me. The material came natural, but if it didn't I could pick up on the material before the end of class. I never took a book home and still made really good grades. College was completely different. There was so much material that I had to bring my work home. I had no idea where to start. I wish that I had aquired heatlhy study habbits in high school.

Carson-Newman is a small school where your adviser is there to help at anytime. The classes are small so your professors know you by name not by a number. You are able to talk to your professors when you need help in a course. Your advisors are there to talk about personal struggles as well as struggles with the program.

Carson-Newman is designed for the small town person or people who like that environment. It is 30 minutes from a large city. Most of the professors have a Christian background and talk about there beliefs. If you do not like to hear about God or what he is doing , Carson-Newman may not be the school for you.

Abbey

My school is best known for its academics. Students at Carson-Newman strive to achieve their dreams, which means they work very hard in the classroom. Carson-Newman is very well known for its dedication to its students academic success.

Abbey, there are a few things you need to remember. Visit and apply to as many colleges as you want no matter how far-fetched they may be. It is important to explore all your options. Also, apply for all the scholarships you qualify for. They will come in handy. Don't forget to be a high schooler in the process of applying for schools and scholarships though. Manage your time so that you have time for work and fun. However, DO NOT procrastinate. It will cost you in the end. Don't try and take to many dual-enrollment classes your senior year. You are not in college yet. Those classes will all be waiting for you when you get there. Be a senior in high school your senior year, not a college freshman. Enjoy being a senior while you can, and college, and the incredible amount of fun and work that comes with it, will come soon enough.

My school is in a city that does not have very much to do. Knoxville is about 30 minutes away, but there are really no big activities to participate in in Jefferson City.

STACEY

MOST ARE MUCH YOUNGER THAN I AM, BUT THEY ARE FUN AND VERY KIND.

MOST ARE MUCH YOUNGER THAN I AM, BUT THEY ARE FUN AND VERY KIND.

IF I COULD GO BACK IN TIME I WOULD TELL MYSELF THAT I COULD GO TO COLLEGE AND MAKE IT THROUGH. WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL I THOUGHT I COULD GET A JOB AND WOULD NOT HAVE TO FURTHER MY EDUCATION. AFTER WORKING IN A FACTORY FOR ALMOST TEN YEARS I DECIDED I WANTED SOMETHING BETTER. SO IF I COULD GO BACK I WOULD TELL MYSELF TO GET OFF MY BUT AND GET A GOOD EDUCATION AND NOT JUST A JOB.

I CAN NOT THINK OF ANYTHING THAT IS BAD ABOUT MY SCHOOL. IT IS A GREAT COLLEGE AND THE TEACHERS OFFER ALOT OF HELP. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS COLLEGE TO ANYONE.

Joseph

I would tell any senior, don't over load yourself with your first year of classes. You want to beable to enjoy, get to know, and have a little fun the first year of college. If you don't know what you want to major in, take some of your basic classes and talk to others about what they are interested in and see what all the college has to offer and what you are interested in majoring in. Be your self and don't get in over your head.

Probably the food. It isn't very appealing and they do not have a big variety on the weekends. There is also really no where else on campus to use your meal plan. We do have a retail, but there is no exchange with our plan only added Eagle Bucks and they run out fast.

What a great college Carson-Newman is. Very down to earth, faculty are great, small classes, and have gained great friends.

J.T.

Listen to your advisors, upper classmen, be yourself, enjoy you new surroundings. Don't get down on your self. Keep up your studies and ask for help. Don't always take those college credits in high school, they are not always helpful. Stay serious but also have fun. Make good decisions and make good friends. Always ask for help when you need it. Talk with your professors and let them get to know you as a person and student.

I love my school, there is nothing that I didn't know that would have kept me from going to C arson-Newman

Sport players receive more financial aide than most students. They received large amounts that exceed their financial need to pay for college. Seems to me the college should spread those amounts to other students that would help with loans they have to get to pay for college.

Veronica

Carson-Newman is a Christian college that is academically challenging, spiritually enriching, socially amazing and it teaches you about who you are and who you want to be.

The advice I would give myself is to not stress over little things and to balance out my scedule better. Due dates will come and go, but they aren't worth a panic attack. School is important, but so are the relationships I make and the people I meet. Learn to balance friends and school work effectively, and I will be stress free and happier as a college freshman.

The best thing about Carson-Newman are the people. The people here are friendly, enthusiastic about their majors and hobbies, and they love growing spiritually. The people here are also amazing friends, and your professors push you and challenge you, but are also there for you.

Ryan

A place where you grow each and every day mentally, physcially, and spiritually to become a better person.

Pray and seek where God is truly wanting you to go. If you go somewhere that is not desired, you will hate every moment of it.

The fact that the faculty and staff is always willing to go out of thier way to help you no matter what is neccessary

Carson-Newman University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.