Central Michigan University

« See more reviews of Central Michigan University

Academics, as far as I know, are good. Some of the professors are out of touch, but I like the programs and haven't complained too much. The only problem I have is that not all the classes are offered when they're supposed to be.

Some classes are small, so your professors will probably know your name in those classes. But in the larger classes, like any other university, you have to put in some effort to make your professors remember you.

I have never had a problem scheduling office hours with professors, I have heard other students complain about that and that their professors can't speak good English but I have never personally had a problem.

I should study more than I do, but I do well in my favorite classes. There are intellectual conversations out of class, but professors are discussed just as much.

The professors will many things to make sure you know what youre doing. There are also many opportunities for extra help, and extra caricullar activities.

Professors are really great here! Class sizes are generally medium, and I prefer it that way.

they have good programs but there are a lot of dumb kids here

Just because Central is known as a party school doesn't mean that the students don't care about academics or their grades. Of course we care or else we wouldnt be here. The people that party hard way too much and don't know how to handle homework and school at the same time will drop out in the first year. But we study and go to class and care about our grades. Central has a bunch of great academic programs. There is even a honors program that you can get involved in. The teaching programs is excellent, and we are finally getting a brand new building that should be open in 2009. All the professors here are very helpful, and if you want to talk to them or need help, they are always there for you. All you have to do is make the effort to talk to them, and they WILL get to know you. I believe that Central has a great program here for academics. The only thing that I don't like is that a LOT of students won't graduate in 4 years. Only like the business majors and such. But teaching, definitely not unless you take a bunch of summer classes and a million credits each semester. But thats okay to me because I love it here and don't want to leave!

My favorite class right now is my Spanish 331 and 341 class. I am planning on majoring in spanish education. My least favorite class is Economics 281 because I have to take it for my UP class and I have no interest in the subject. Most students that I know study for at least an hour a day. In class participation, I believe is more common with the older students because they have gotten over the fact that they aren't the freshman and have more education I believe on subject matters. I believe students can have intellectual conversations outside of the classroom. Many know do. Students competitive level I believe depends on the class. The most unique class I have taken is Art 126 because to me art is usually always eccentric. I have spent small amounts of hours with professors outside of classroom time because I believe it is essential to get to understand the professor and what they expect of the students in their class. I believe that they are good. Some of the UP classes I believe are not really relative to my major or minor but I believe they can help me in the long run. I believe that education at CMU is geared towards getting a job.

My favorite class is HEV 250. It was a product development class and that is what I want to do for the rest of my life. Least favorite class is GEL 130. I do not like math or science in the least. students study daily. class participation is usually minimal except for those who are truly interested in the material being covered. (which, in U.P. courses is slim) I do not think many students have intellectual conversations outside of class, but who knows? students can be competitive depending on a teachers grading scale. Most unique class taken by myself was HEV 330. It is an internship class that focuses on how you go about getting an internship and what the laws are. It is really interesting. I am going into Apparel Merchandising in the HEV department. the teachers are phenomenal and very helpful. the classes are all really good, as well. I do not spend time with professors outside of class. Occasionally I will have to go to their office hours, but not too often. I do not like the U.P. requirements. It is usually forcing students to take classes they are not interested, resulting in a lower grade and lowering their gpa.