Central Michigan University

« See more reviews of Central Michigan University

Many professors will get to know you by name especially if you speak up in class or ask them questions. They usually don't mind helping a student. My favorite class was EDU 107H. It was an introduction to education and I loved the professor and it was an honors class so there were only 20 people in it. I hate geo 120 just because it is boring but I do like the map quizzes. Students aren't really competitive- except if you are a Leader Advancement Scholar like I am. Out of the 40 students who get the scholarship, some try to make it a huge competition. The most unique class I've taken is HEV 100H. It's intro to human growth and development- the professor tries to teach in a unique way. I'm going into secondary education majoring in social studies and triple minoring in history, leadership, and math. CMU is greared towards both learining and preparing its students for the work force.

I've had some pretty interesting classes since I've been at CMU. Some of my favorites include Audio Production, Video Production, Interpretive Reading and Appreciation of Art. Students aren't necessarily competitive with one another but more internally competitive. Most students strive to get a high mark in the majority of their classes, especially core classes for their majors and degree requirements. The only beef I have with Central is the fact that you can only take a certain amount of elective hours within your major. After that certain amount any elective credits you take involving your major will not count towards your final degree credit hours. I know this is a way to ensure that students get a rounded education but I personally believe that the required University Programs establish that rounded education sufficiently.

the professors are great, most really do care and try to help you out where ever they can, as long as you make the attempt and ask for help. class participation varies a lot, depending on how interactive the professor makes the class and of course on how early in the morning the class meets. the biology department has excellent advisors and they really do have great advice about everything, ranging from which major will best prepare you for graduate school or admission tests (ie mcats), and which classes are the best electives, to which areas of research or volunteer activities to get involved with. i think education is pretty balanced, professors try to make it applicaple to career paths, but as always there are students who only care about getting the A so they might not get everything out of the experience.

I think many students at Central Michigan are very competitive. We have many programs that are very competitive to get into, such as the athletic training program, where CMU only takes 15 students a semester, and the dietetics program. Many students also spend a lot of time with professors outside of class getting help. Every professor that I have had is very good with letting you know their office hours and that they are always available for your help. I think Central Michigan's academic requirements are pretty good for the UP requirements because it helps you to take other subjects so you can learn other things outside your specified area of study. The competency requirements also help students to get things in that they will need in the future such as English and Speech classes.

There are very few lecture style classes here, most classes max out at 30-40 students. In an honors class, there can only be 20 students. My least favorite class since i've been here was Psycology. It was at least 250 students in a lecture hall at 9am. All the material covered was in the book almost word for word. I had no reason to show up for any class periods unless there was a quiz. I eat lunch everyday after my French class with a group of students and we discuss everything from life on campus to politics. My major department is great. The professors and advisors are very accessible and my major classes are only monday through thursdays. Theres a high job placement rate and they hold career days and job fairs to help us learn about and get in touch with people from our fields.

I love the fact that all of my professors know my name! I think that is really cool because at most schools you are just a number in the class, but here they know you by name and really take the time to get to know you. My favorite class was my Introduction to Teaching because my professor really engaged us in the issues that are facing teachers today and I really am excited to start teaching when I graduate. My major is Physical Education with a minor in Health and I hope to teach at the elementary school level. I feel that the education at Central is geared toward students' success after they graduate from college. They are preparing us for the rest of our lives, by teaching us how to use the latest technology in our field, which I feel is what employers are really looking for.

I don't think that many of professors know my name- I'm just trying to get in, learn what I need to, then move on. My favorite class would probably have to be HST 101, I really enjoy the dicussion group for that class. My least favorite class so far would probably be TAI 170- it's not a bad class, just not something that I personally enjoy. Competitiveness really depends on what the topic is- schoolwise, definently not. The most unique class I've ever taken would probably be EDU 107. My department is the education department, and I believe it is the best department on campus. I spend close to no time out of class with professors. I believe that CMU's academic requirements are high, but could be even higher. I would say geared towards both, but more towards getting a job.

As far as the professors go they have lots of students and for them to remeber you just because you are in their class is not very likely. I find that if a student makes even the slightest effort to go to office hours the teachers are very good at recognizing you later and saying hi. They may not remeber your name at first, but a relationship takes two sides. If the student puts in the effort the teachers will make sure that it reflects positivly on ones grades. Some fields are more competative than other and I seem to find it imperative to see my professors for help. I think the biology department staff and program is awesome: I just wish that the chemestry section was as well organized and fun as the biology. Everything I do helps me prepare for the real world.

Not many of my professors know my name but thats because i choose it to be that way. My favorite class is my history class. My least favorite is chemistry. How students study depends on the class and the student. Class particpation is common in some classes and not in others. I dont find myself getting into very many intellectual converstaions, but I dont want to have them. Students are definitely competitive. The most unique class I have taken is fundamental motor skills. My major is health fitness because I want to get into PT school. I do not spend much time w/ my professors outside of calls. I feel that CMUs academic requirements are satisfactory. The education I am getting will hopefully get me prepared for getting into PT school.

A lot of my professors dont know my name because I'm in big classes mostly but in the classes under 20 people they do know my name. My favorite class is Community Health adn my least favorite is survey of chemistry. I think that students study a lot, there are always a lot of people in the library or studying around campus. My major is Public Health with a minor in Nutrition. I can't stand the academic requriements, I think that they are a waste of time and money and a lot of the time they are a lot harder than they should be. I dont think that students should be required to take that many classes outside of their major or minor. I think the education at CMU is geared toward getting a job.