Central Michigan University

« See more reviews of Central Michigan University

One aspect of CMU that I really love is that the professors actually care about their students. I personally know most of my professors and don't mind asking them for help or their opinion. I was actually surprised to see how much college students study here at CMU. I know I personally study at least two hours per day and five out of the week I attend the library. I feel that CMU's academic requirements are attainable, but for the most part I don't like how it is set up. There are a few required classes that I personally believe just waste time and money. But for the most part, classes at CMU are interesting and most students seem to apply themselves and enjoy what they are doing.

About half of my professors know my name. In my smaller classes they know but in my lecture classes they do not. Favorite class is my art history class. Least favorite is my 9 am biology class. Class participation is only common in the classes where the teachers ask for it. in the large lectures there is no participation, it is basically the teacher talks and the students take notes. The most unique class i have not yet taken but will be is a class on beaver island where we will be studying the great lakes and weather. The department for my major is terrible. I am transferring because there is only a pre-professional program here but the adviser knows nothing about the program.

Currently, I am majoring in Communication Disorders with a double minor in Gerontology and Human Growth and Development. I love the classes that I take. My favorite class so far, however, is my HEV 213: Human Sexuality class. Its interesting and utilizes a variety of teaching mediums. Thats what I believe is a huge problem with professors at Central. They all lecture, that's it. It is beneficial to use other things to teach such as presentations, speakers, movies, music, etc. Classes are boring, and many students tend to fall asleep. Most professors do not know my name or even try to get to know my name. Class participation is always a struggle.

Many of my professors know my name. My favorite class this semester is ENG 175, and I have a great professor. My least favorite class is Math just because it's not my favorite subject. Many students spend a lot of time studying because they realize that these are the grades that will affect the rest of their lives. The library is always full of people studying in the evenings. Class participation is not always common. I have observed that as the older students get, the less they participate in class. My major is English and I love the variety of classes I get to take. I am also studying to be a teacher and the profs for that dept. are AMAZING.

I have had a positive experience with almost all my professors here at CMU. They do a good job of knowing students by name. Like I said before as I am also guilty of not studying as much as I could. This is because of the laid back attitude of the entire town certainly not professors fault. The most unique and enjoyable class I had was racial justice through law. My major is sport studies and based out of the health professions building its quite similar to sport management. I have no problem going to professors for help on work. education here is geared towards learning, broadening ones horizon and rounding ones personality.

Most of the professors I have come across here are great, but I do think there are a few here who do not know what they are doing. I stumbled across a teacher this semester unknowingly who has no ideal how to teach a class. She is a professional in the subject matter but has no, absolutely no teaching experience, which has really hurt my grade. She has no ideal how to deliver the material. She reads out of the book to the class, I can't help but feel like I have wasted my money and hurt my GPA. But on the other hand, I have met some of the most charasmatic, energetic, passionate teachers here that I believe I ever will.

My favorite class that I've taken so far would have to be ENG 101 and ENG 201. It is because the teacher made it such a great class. Unfortunately, she does not teach here anymore. Plus, I just love to write and her class really helped me grow and become a better writer. I believe the education at CMU is definitely geared toward getting a job. For most majors, you have to have at least one internship and I believe internships really give you a sneak peek at what the real world will be like. It also helps you network with people in your career field so you can get a good word put in for you for the future.

CMU is unique because it's admission requirements are not very strenuous. but there are many talented and intellectual students that attend. Professors recognize that many students are here to "get a job", not to go to graduate school or advance to higher learning. However, for those students that do wish to go to graduate school, their opportunities to interact individually with professors are great. I currently am conducting a research project with a professor and it has been a great experience. She is a talented and nationally recognized professional and I have the opportunity to collaborate with her.

You can't just blow off class and expect to get an education. Sure we're at college to have a good time, make some friends, and gain a lot of memories, but are our parents really shelling out a nice sum of money for us each year just for that? Go to class, do the work, take time to study, and you're time will be pretty smooth. However, it is helpful to build a relationship with your professors during their office hours. They are really accomidating and will help you with areas you may be struggling with, but it's up to YOU! Professors aren't going to come looking for you!

The classes aren't too terrible. People don't usually study until the night before an exam and seem to do fairly decent. Personally I can study a few days before my tests and be fine. But there are some people who have to start extra early to get a passing grade. If its for a class that you don't really care about then chances are you can skate by with a C for minimal effort on your part. You are probably more like to hear a conversation about the party in Deerfield last weekend walking down the sidewalk than the Schrodinger Wave Equation, but hey... It's college.