Central Michigan University

« See more reviews of Central Michigan University

Some dorms have the reputation of having their doors always open. I live in Barnes and we are relatively a small community of only 160 students and we have our doors open all the time. However when one goes to the towers, he or she will find that almost all the doors are closed because it is hard to get to know 400 people in your hall rather than just the 160. I am involved in Sigma Alpha Epsilon and it is a social fraternity. We are composed of the male leaders on campus and strive to be True Gentlemen in our daily lives. We are not the typical frat. and we are called a Fraternity of brothers because we are dispelling the stereotypes of greek life. We do not haze and have a no tolerance policy on this unlike some greek organizations here and around the U.S. People usually party thursdays and saturdays with fridays as their day of rest. However there are many alternatives to doing these activities. Many nights there are events around campus going on, video game tournaments, athletic competitions, contests or speakers that students can go to to have fun.

GREEK LIFE. Just kidding I dunno. I am involved in a sorority. When I lived in the dorms we kept our door open (at the beg. of the year at least) Athletic events aren't that popular unless there's a tailgate. I like the comedians that come. My closed friends are my best friend from home, my roomate from freshman year, and my family tree in my sorority. I am not awake at 2am on tuesday or I am grumpy because I am studying and all i want to do is sleep. Greek week, thursday bar nights, st. pattys day, tailgate. It depends on the person- each person parties a different amount. Greek life is very important. Last weekend I had mock rock on friday, went out and celebrated. Sat I stayed in with my roomate and cleaned my room. On saturdays I can cuddle in my bed and watch movies, go to the movies, go out to eat, hang out with my roomates, clean my room, or do homework. Well I live off campus so I sleep, do homework, eat, shower, basically daily activities of life.

Most popular fraternities are Delta Chi, SAE, and Sigma Pi, for soroities there are Phi Sigma Sigma, ZTA, Delta Zeta, Sigma Kappa. there also numerous teams that are popular like the Football, Basketball, Baseball, Wrestling, Volleyball, etc. I am involved in Delta Chi, and it has been one of the best decisions in my life. We try to interact as much as we can with the community and try to raise money for our national philanthropy, Jimmy V Foundation. When i lived in the dorm, my door was always open. The most popular athletic event is football games. Alot of the students get really involved with them. I have seen numerous guest speakers. I would say a majority of our school parties atleast 2 times a week. Fraternities and Sororities are very important. They do so much for many organizations by raising money for them. There are atleast 2-3 events a month that pertian to this. Most of the greeks get involved in these events and help each other out.

One of the biggest aspects of my life is my fraternity, Delta Chi. I believe that the greek system here is, although small in numbers, a good greek system. We are all not just a bunch of "frat boys". That's what attracted me most about Greek life as a freshmen. Delta Chi is a social fraternity, and I have some of my best friends in there that I can see myself stayin in touch with for life. However, the fraternity has helped me tremendously academically. I have much better study habits now and my GPA has increased every semester. Tailgating is a huge deal at Central. It is much bigger than Michigan, Michigan State and Western Michigan. As much as we love to tailgate, I don't our athletics are that popular. Aside from football games, we usually don't have huge crowds at any other sporting event. I just think it's kind of hard to get real pumped up for MAC sports, unlike the Big 10 or ACC.

The most popular organizations are Leadership organizations and Greek social organizations. There are many professional groups and fraternities that are popular on campus as well. I have been in a sorority since my freshman year, and I have learned to be very involved in campus through this. We attend speaker sessions and I am personally bringing a speaker to campus in a few weeks on how to improve recruitment in groups. Last weekend was the end of Greek Week and my sorority's formal. I did not drink much, as I was so exhausted from the week before. On a Saturday night when I am not drinking, I like to watch movies, go out to dinner, or play board games with friends.

Greek life is a big involvement on our campus, but it could be bigger. Drinking does play a huge role in our community because there is not much else to do at night in Mount Pleasant. Movies are very expensive and you can only go bowling so many times. Athletic events are popular because of tailgating. Most students don't even make it into the games. Our theatre is very small and most students are not interested in the shows. Sometimes, students will turn out for guest speakers, but most of the time, they do not. People party every day of the week.

Greek Life on campus will get you a reputation (but it's up to you to make sure that reputation is a good one!). The Greeks tend to be the more well-known students on campus, though there are exceptions here and there. I was involved in the Delta Chi fraternity which has a great reputation in the Greek community. Also, as I got older, I got involved in Public Relations Student Society of America (a MUST for PR majors!) which was a very professional organization to prepare you for post-grad life. Overall, two great RSOs to be involved in.

Greek life. DZ. Yes. Only popular if there is a tailgate. THe dating scene is primarily the bar which isnt great. My closest friends are my roomates from freshman year and my sorority sisters. I am usually studying. Homecoming and CMU vs WMU games. People party of most of the week.. or only on weekends.. or not at all it varies. Greek life is very important. Last weekend I had Greek week. You can hang out in your apartment, lay in bed, watch movies, go to the movies, go out to dinner, etc.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon is a social fraternity that I am a member of. With fraternity and sorority life there is a lot of interaction between groups in things such as IM sports, philanthropy, and socially. This makes it very easy to meet new people from all walks of life and areas of campus that you may never have met otherwise. Some of my closest friends are my brothers in SAE, and through them I have become better acquainted with campus and other groups.

I am a part of Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, and that keeps me involved in other things on campus as well, including meeting other greeks, volunteering, etc. When I lived in Beddow my Freshman year, most people in the dorms were not friendly and kept their doors closed in my hall at least. I enjoy going to atheletic events and speakers that I'm interested in. I try to maximize the free shows and productions that CMU host.