Central Michigan University

« See more reviews of Central Michigan University

My advice for new college students is this: College is full of opportunities for new experiences, new friends, and new endeavors. However, it is important not to be overwhelmed by all the new freedoms you will have living on your own free from parental tyranny. You're in college for a reason, and that reason is to get a degree and get a good job. College is way too expensive to flunk out of. Depending on where you go to school, you (or more likely your parents) will be paying tens of thousands of dollars per semester! For that money you could buy a new car, start your own business, or go on one hell of a shopping spree, so don't waste it. If you are not serious about school and getting an education, don't waste your time and money, because if you aren't, that's exactly what you'll be doing. Have fun, try new things, expand your horizons, just make sure you can still make it to class. Good luck.

Make sure to visit campus and ask LOTS of questions. Also talk to current students, NOT just the campus guides, but students walking around campus. Make sure to ask them what the REALLY think about the campus food. Explore the surrounding apartment complexes for future housing. While on campus see if you can look into more than one dorm. Check out the resturants in town, and see what other towns/cities surround where campus is. Take a look at the list of student organizations and try to get in contact with the person in charge of one you might want to join. Most importantly, when walking around campus make sure it is a place you feel comfortable and like you could be able to find your way around easily. Also be sure that the campus gives you the right vibe and enviornment when you get there. Possibly try to make a few stops to the same campus, one with the tour, one without.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would first tell myself, do not ever give up! I would also say, that good grades are very important, so keep up the good work! I would also make sure to tell myself that college is not always going to be easy and it is not always going to be the best thing ever. However, if you make it the thing ever, chances are, you will have that attitude and beleive it is! Always stay positive. A lot of things happen in life that bring you down and you can't let that stop you from your dream! DO NOT...EVER LET ANYONE TELL YOU THAT YOU CANNOT GET YOUR DREAM! YOU MUST STAY POSITIVE!!! If you do not stay positive, nothing will go your way. Think of the negative things as bumps in the road, you just have to slowly coast over them with attention and patience. College is what you make of it, so make it amazing!

So far my college experiance has been great. I have made a lot of new friends and I have learned a lot of new things. When coming to Central Michigan University I did not know that I would meet so many new friend and have so much fun while also getting a great education. It has been so valuable to attend here at Central Michigan University because the campus is the perfect size to where you can get to all of your classes by walking and there are alway people trying to help you out when you need it. We have tutors for every class and the tutors are students that excel in which ever subject you need the help in so they know where you are at because they have recently taken the class and they know what it is like. Attending Central Michigan University has been one of the most valuable things (If not the most valuable thing) that I have put my money into in my whole life.

I have become a leader. A bigger leader than I thought I ever could have been. I have participated in many conferences and leadership programs that have made me who I am today. Something unique about Central Michigan University is the Leadership Safari program. It is the first week before classes start where all the incoming freshman move in early and they are separated into groups that let you get to know upperclassmen early on in the year and your peers. Everyone is always nervous for college and Leadership Safari is something I think many more school should adopt on their campus. I currently am in the midst of starting another Registered Student Organization on campus for Love146, an organization to end child sex slavery and exploitation. Central's campus is so inviting to new leaders and it makes you want to get out and be involved with as much as you can!

When looking for the best college possible, both students and parents should take into consideration the career that the student wants to pursue. If a student chooses a school based only on cost, and social life, they are missing out on why they are actually applying to a school. In my opinion, a student should have at least a relatively good idea as to where they want to pursue a career after graduation. Second to choosing based on career choice, cost should definitely be taken into consideration when searching for the correct school. In this current economic climate, students can't afford big expensive schools anymore when the career they will enter will not compensate for the enormous tuition costs they will still have to pay off. So searching for the right school takes lots of investigation into what is taught at the school, and how much it will cost.

Parents and students need to find a college that not only fits the career pathway of the student but fits their personality as well. If you are a person that is shy, then a big campus such as Michigan State would not be a good choice. If you are looking for less craziness or just not wanting to walk that far to class, you should check out a smaller campus. You should decide if you want to be in the middle of a large city, or out in the country. My college is in a small town and I enjoy that, there isn't the hussle and bussle of living in a big city. It is a more relaxed environment. Parents and students should also take distance from home into consideration as well. You should decide if you want to live close to home or if you want to live as far away as possible. These are all things that will start your college experience in a more comfortbable way.

Senior year of high school is supposed to be one of the best years of your life.Senior year isn't just all about fun and games though; it is about determination and motivation. It should be one of the most successful years of your life as well. Although students get accepted into college in the early year of the school year, your grades still need to be on track. Do the best you can to receive the grades you deserve, and have fun while you are at it. Go to school, experience being a senior, going to prom, attending football games, competeing in the school spirit week, but remember, grades should be at the top of the list. Don't slack off and lose that academic scholarship you earned at the beginning of the year. Push yourself to do your best, and this will help your success in your college years. Don't let senioritis take over you. You'll do great!

College is about to be the most important four years of your life. You need to be placed in an enviornment where you are not only comfortable on campus but where the coursework is just enough for you to take on. Explore your options to grow both socially and academically. Whether you want to major in Business or pursue a degree in the Liberal Arts, you want a college that will fufill your goals for a future career but will also cater to your hobbies and interests. Be sure to visit your college so you can see the sports fields and recreation center if you're interested in athletics. If you enjoy music, make sure that they offer electives that you would consider taking. Last but not least, take a look around and see if the atmosphere it something you prefer. You want to factor in your academics, finances and university life to best fit YOU.

I have learned so much from just my first semester at college. I have grown more confident in my abilities to achieve the goals that I have set for myself. I am more able to talk and get along with new people who come from different bakgrounds. I have developed long-lasting connections with the people I have met on campus. Moreover, I have learned to push myself out of my comfort zone to experience new opportunities which I most likely would not have done without going to college. For example, I ran a 5K sponsered by my colleges's triathlon club. In addition, the classes which I am taking are preparing me well for graduate school. I am confident when the time comes to send in my application for graduate school, I will be accepted. My college experience has been unforgettable, and I look forward to furthering my education next year.