Central Michigan University

« See more reviews of Central Michigan University

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that it would not behoove me to wait a full year like I have. Reason being I have lost the motivation and strive I once had. I thought hey I've been in school for 12 years I just want a break. Now looking at some of my peers and seeing how far they have come and progressed it makes me more ambitious than ever. Yes, I am trying to get back on track but i can't help but think how ignorant I was to the knowledge and informative lectures i was being offered. I would tell myself, just take a shot at it you never know what you could achieve or accomplish. The transition will be alot more complicated now that I have waited so long. Had I just went when I graduated I wouldn't be having these hesitant moments. I believe It is the fear of success for a person like me. I have asperations that will nevever grow old along with the faith I bestow in myself.

I am currently in the process of transferring colleges. I was attending a four year university as a major in elementary education. When I finished my first year, I realized I was not satisfied. The classrooms were big, and we were lectured at on a daily basis. There was very little, if any, individualized attention. At the time, I was also experiencing problems at home, which didn't help my school situation. I finally decided to switch majors to general studies, and just take general education classes until I figured out what I wanted to do with my life. I started looking at transferring to other colleges, but was still unsure of what I wanted to do. Then I discovered Brown Mackie College - Fort Wayne. I took a tour and had an interview, and was accepted to study to be a veterinary technician. I have never been more excited to attend school. Animals are my passion, and being able to help them is my life-long dream.

*Work hard, but don't let your life revolve around classes. *Remember that most of what you learn in college cannot be taught in a classroom. *Also remember that, while it's great to make the Dean's list and get plenty of As and Bs, some of the most successful people in the world didn't do all that well in college. *Get involved and stay involved. *Meet people, present yourself well to them, and network with them. *Take advantage of all the services your school has to offer, including academic advising, career services, the library, workout facilities, computer labs, and so on. *Try to take on as many leadership roles as possible. They help build responsibility - and we all know employees like responsible people! *Create a resume early in your college career and update every so often (at least once a semester). *Know how to write and speak well. *Most importantly, to quote from that popular song, "Don't Stop Believing."

I would tell myself to learn how to study and write quicker. I would say "Laure, you are smart obviously you know that. But don't be hard yourself when you get to college. It's a whole new world and you can reinvent yourself. You don't have to be the person you were in high school. You don't have to conform. You can be you and in college you will figure out what being you really is." I would give myself a couple tips on guys main, "Not every guy you meet is gunna be a sweetheart, most will probably be jerks. But don't let that hold you back. You are beautiful and you know you just have to let others see you for who you are. You don't have to hide from the world." Then I would say, "Live life. College is amazing and you are going to love it. So enjoy it and make connections. HAVE FUN!" I would also say, "FYI don't talk to Ethan, it'll save you a whole lot of heartbreak love." Then I'd say goodbye and goodluck.

When looking for the right college, you should actually go see the colleges you're interested in. Look at the facilities that you think you'll be spending the most time in and what impressions they give you. Research the facility of the courses that you think you?re going to be majoring in and find out their qualifications and other achievements. Talk to other students currently going to the school and ask their opinions. Check out the library, does it offer a lot of resources that are available and easily accessible. Does the school have available, convent access to things like computer labs and internet? Ask around about groups and clubs you?re interested in. Does the school have a variety of programs and groups to get involved in? Ask if the school has programs or classes that will help you find out different aspects the school has to offer. Take all the information and look at what feels right to you.

When most people look back on college they remember the great friends, the great memories and the great parties. But for me college was a place where I grew as a person, truly found out a lot about myself and began my life into adulthood. To finally be able to be out on your own and making your own decisions is a huge part of the learning experience at college. Being miles away from home you know your family is only a phone call away but you begin to rely more on yourself and the other around you to get through. College is the experience that has truly prepared me for the rest of my life in the real world. The responsibility, the lessons in communication with friends and also professors, it has prepared me for everything I have experienced since leaving school in 2004. Since leaving college I have learned to value all of my experiences that I had, they have all made me into the successful person that I am today.

I would first tell her to apply to more schools. I was clueless of what I wanted to do when I left high school so I only applied to two colleges. Second, I would tell her to work harder. I regret not seriously considering my future when I was in high school because it affects everything I am doing now. Even in my freshman year of college I was lost and confused, and my first semester grade of 1.3 reflects that. After I managed to adjust, I was able to get a 3.2 in the second semester and bring my grade up to a 2.2 but I still constantly feel the struggle to make up for that first semester.I love where I am at now, but it took me a ear to finally feel settled in and ready to handle how different it is to live on your own and pay for everything. But ultimately I have made some of the best friends here and I know that regardless of this advice, I wouldn?t want her to change much so I could still be where I am today.

Honstly to pick just one word to describe my college experience I would choose growth. I do not know the person I would be today if I had chosen a different univeristy to attend. I have become friends with people I may have never given the time of day in high school, I've learned what it is like to be living on my complete own, having to pay my bills. I have learned to adapt to other people, and live with 7 other girls for two of my years in college. I have experienced how to communitcate with professors when I need advice on something. I have matured tremedously over the past 3 and a half years, I can't find the words to beging to explain. This college has given me a sense of belonging and community that I know I could not have gotten anywhere else. This school has giving me opportunites and experiences that I will forever look back on and be proud of. I love this school and will forever be a Chippewa! :)

I'd say to myself, "Self, sit down and breathe. Enjoy your life; it only goes by so fast because you're wasting your days worrying about acceptance letters and GPAs, which are panicking you to say the least. You're letting your senior year stress you out so much that it's clouding the excitement you should have for this very wonderful new beginning that you're heading towards. It's okay to go out to live and laugh - but please don't slack, it shows. You've had three years of high school already, and this last year should be no different except in the fact that your hard work should start paying off. College is going to make you feel so alive and sure of yourself. All you have to do is make sure that you have the motivation, put in the time and effort to get there, and you will. Ease up on yourself and your stress level. When you do get there, you'll love it more than anything you've ever experienced."

I know that you are worried about fitting in at college. Whether people will like you or whether you'll never find a niche. Stop worrying. Trust God. Everyone finds a niche at college, if they don't then they haven't tried. People at college are way more accepting than in high school. No one here cares about your sense of style or you taste in music, the main thing people notice about you is your personality. They only judge you based on your friendliness. Just be open to new people and new experiences and you'll find exactly where you are supposed to be and who you should be around. You'll find out soon enough how much more responsible you'l become in college, so don't worry know about how your shy when it comes to shopping or ordering food. You'll find your niche, you'll grow into the true you, and yes, you'll still have problems, but it'll be okay. Trust your instincts, they'll never lead you astray.