Central Piedmont Community College

« See more reviews of Central Piedmont Community College

"Don't change a thing." The challenging experiences that I endured and brought upon myself since high school have molded me into a revolutionist. My scholastics were in turn put on hold, but during this time I became educated in the courses of life. I am seasoned with the knowledge of the struggle to survive. The freedom of college students demands time management and responsibility. Everyone develops differently, and this process determines our futures. Adversity developed me into the adult I had to be to recognize my purpose in the biochemical/physical and nutrition fields. I'm a dreamer of excellence, and I believe it starts and ends with nourishing, not poisoning, our bodies. The many evils of our world have consistently drawn our attention away from the most detrimental one: disrespecting our bodies. The exponential growth of our population has pushed our industries into mass production of the cheapest "food" products that can be manufactured and it is killing us. The obesity epidemic is a result of our relationship with these "foods." We are addicts, and I was an addict once too. The constant battle with a process that is necessary for life is deep, but I can help.

The most important advice I would give myself would be researching and applying for scholarships early in the year, even the summer before my senior year commence. Going to college is a process that takes time and planning and it cannot be done in months before graduation. A year may not even be sufficient. Grades, extracurricular activities and sports are important when getting into college, but nothing comes easy and you should never limit yourself. The mistake I made was relying on a full scholarship based on my grades and activities I was involved in. I would tell myself to consider other plans in order to be fully covered before I apply for colleges. In addition, the most known colleges are not necessarily where I should consider going. Sometimes researching several colleges and seeing where I fit best will be better. College can be filled with experiences everywhere you go, and you have to make it the way you want it. I would tell myself to have a better plan for the years I will be spending in college. Life has surprises and you never know what it reserves for you. Research is key for a better college experience.

If I have another opportunity to be a high school senior, I would have a lot of advises to share to myself. However, there is one advice I think that would have helped me better prepare for college, and it is to challenge myself more academically. In my senior year, I was often afraid of failures and rejections. For instance, I only applied for one scholarship in my senior year because I thought applying for scholarships were too competitive, and there were many students out there that are better scholarship candidates than I was. However, had I believed I could do it, I would have probably figured out the steps I need to take to help me win these scholarships that I wanted to apply. Even if things had not worked out as I planned, I would have not being disappointed at myself because I knew I have given it my best shot. Therefore, knowing how to deal with challenges is beneficial for anyone who wants to make the transition from high school to college because being afraid of dealing with challenges often prevents people from getting to where they want to be both in school and in life.

The advice I would give myself about college life and making the transition includes better planning, build a relationship with staff, make friends before you get to campus, and become familiar with the area. I was definitely unprepared my first day! I didn’t have lunch or any snacks, so I was hungry all day. That hunger was a distraction from listening to the professors as they went over syllabi. I also had to stand in multiple long lines because I didn’t get my ID, bus pass, or books ahead of time. Secondly, I would tell myself to build relationships with staff early. The people on campus are there to help you, so the earlier they get to know you, the more they’ll be able to help you. Also, I would tell myself to build relationships with other incoming students. You will feel much more comfortable if you have a familiar face in one of your classes, someone to sit with at lunch or between classes. Lastly, become familiar with the area surrounding your campus. Not only will that ensure your safety, but you will know more resources to help you succeed. Good luck!

I was not able to finish high school due to the fact that I got pregnant, but I did go back and get my GED graduating before my intended class. If I could go back and talk to myself I would tell myself you have your entire life to make careless mistakes. Dont take for granted your education and the strength in having a career/proffession. I would stress to myself not to be scared of what the world has to offer, school is your driving force to be more than you ever thought you could be. College is very necessary in helping people find themselves in many different ways. The transition from high school to college is one of the scariest but most rewarding experiences of your life, so dont wait , don't procrastinate. Just go for it, you will never regret going to school and excelling in all it has to offer. College is a significant key to unlocking your dreams. This is definitely what you want even if you dont know it yet. You will see on your first day the empowerment college can make you feel. College is the beginning of forever; your forever, so goodluck.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a highschool senior; i would tell myself to consider college. When I was a senior in highschool; i thought I wouldn't need to go to college. I would tell myself that college can be beneficial to me in the future. I would also explain to myself in the past that getting a job with a Highschool diploma can be challenging. Some advice I would give my highschool self would be to apply for scholarships early. My highschool self was very fustrated and just anxious to graduate. I wish I could tell myself to enjoy my time being a teenager. I would also tell myself to not get stressed about passing my classes. I have experienced college it's a challenge sometimes; but I have learned a lot more than I have learned in highschool. It's a life changing experience that I don't regret. College has really helped me enter my young adult years confident and optimistic about the future. College can be expensive, but it is worth every penny. I can use my college education for my career and for my upcoming life experiences.

Dear, Jacquelyn, Now that you are a senior in high school, you are wondering about your future and what lies ahead of you. I want you know that your decision to go to college is great and this dream will become a reality for you. I know that you are contantly dreaming about going away to school. You're not so sure if this will ever happen because, you didn't make the best grades in high school to qualify for top rated colleges, or earn scholarships to pay for your college education. I'm here to let you know that all is well because, I am you in the future. Your dream of an education and a rewarding career will happen. You see, the secret to achieving your goals are in the following: One, keep your options open. Your decision to go to a community college is not a bad choice. Taking this route, will allow you to earn a higher GPA and earn scholarships. Two, always ask questions and seek out information. You will have so much support from people who will guide you and serve you as mentors. These secrets is just the beginning of your success.

I attended high school 30 years ago and it all seems like a dream I had about someone elses life. The woman and student I am now is so different from the girl and high school student I was back in 1980. I was in such a hurry to get out of school, get married, and become an adult. I have often wondered what I would change if I went back. The first thing I would tell myself is to slow down and enjoy this year. I would advise myself to become more involved in my community and less involved in the drama that surrounded my personal life because my contributions to my community would be more lasting. I would tell myself to work hard, and study because the feeling of success that doing well in school is one of the most worthy feelings that I will have throughout my life. I would share with myself the need to go to college and the impact that an education has on an adults life in later years. I would encourage myself to stop being afraid and just go for it because to reject myself is far more painful than rejection itself.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself get off of that couch and quit being lazy! It?s your senior year you should be living it up with your friends, and figuring out what the next chapter in your life holds. You should be studying every chance you get to make sure that your study habits, and grades are up to par for the transition into college. Stop worrying bout what everyone else is doing make sure that you perform to your highest potential. Take advantage to all the resources that you are given at school; this can help you make decisions about colleges, programs, and grants all easier. Follow your gut on a lot of decisions, and feelings because it will pay off for you in the future. Try to take classes that are going to help you with your degree and not just to feel in a gap in your schedule. Trust me it will pay off when you already have some knowledge behind you. Lastly enjoy the experience because this will be the best experience of your life!!

Three words: Take your time. Take time to really think about what you are going to do with your life and what you want to get out of college. Take time to meet interesting people and forge relationships that will last forever. Take time to do your schoolwork and meet with your professors, you never know when you may need their assistance. Take time to enjoy yourself, in moderation. I worked really hard my first semester, pushing myself the way I did in high school. Do not do that. Join a club, play a sport or just set aside time for something you enjoy. Remember from where you came. You might need to go back one day. Take time to go home and let your family and friends see the person you are growing up to be. Take time off work if you get a job. Do not always be there at their beckoned call, school should be your first priority. One day your job will be important but right now it's just a means to an end. Take time to find out who you are and never change it for anyone.