Chaminade University of Honolulu

« See more reviews of Chaminade University of Honolulu

With the completion of my first year in college, I have experienced several different things that ultimately changes the way I see college. So far, in my college experience, I have experienced the concept of community, opportunity, ambitiousness, initiative, and family. In Chaminade, there are countless communities to choose from, whether it be from the drama department to campus ministry, there are communities for every lifestyle available. Taking the initiative to join a community and making yourself known is one of the few important steps in making the best of college life. Making connections and relationships is essential in every college life. Being in college is an extrodinary experience and privilege, one must take full advantage of it. Being in college is like being in a virtual realm of the real world. In college, you get to make mistakes, create new relationships in a safe and secure enviroment. This is a place where you can define yourself and prepare how you would take on the world. Being ambitious, taking initiative, making connections, and keeping connected with family is very important. College is valuable because it gives you and teaches you everything that you need and want to know.

Universities encourage the personal growth of their students, whether you are a high school graduate or returning after years of working or raising children. Through in-depth learning opportunities and a unique social atmosphere, the college experience allows students to explore what they like and dislike, cement their personal beliefs, meet other people from all walks of life and further develop their minds and skills. I am a returning college student and while I enjoyed my first college experience, I had no idea what I wanted to get out of my education. After entering the workforce for a few years, I quickly realized the true value of university life. The college experience, for me, is about the process of becoming my own woman, learning new skills that will help me build a successful career, joining clubs that fit my interests in order to network and make new friends, and building the leadership skills I need to be successful in life. My first college experience allowed me to learn more about myself. Because of this, I am now able to push my boundaries and comfort zones in an effort to become a stronger and more well rounded person.

The process of finding and attending a college that is right for you may seem overwhelming. Ultimately, it is important to remember that it is your decision and your life. In that regard, find a college that reflects your values and personal style, if you're still a little bewildered arrange a few different visits and talk to current students. Choosing a college will be life changing no matter where you end up but never lose track of why you're there. A person should attend college for one important reason, to absorb an education that, that in the end, is priceless and irreplaceable. Going to college isn't always about getting the best grades, knowing the most people, doing the most activities, or getting a job. Rather, college is a portal to who you are as a person, what you stand for, what you believe in, and provides you with the resources to lead others in the same positive direction. Come time for graduation students should be able to look out over their family, friends, and community and see themselves smiling back through their hard work, determination, and positive attitude. If you can achieve that you can do anything.

I come from a totally different environment, culture, and lifestyle. What I experienced the most is the reliability on my family and relatives. And I would say that attending college or traveling hundred miles just to go to college has played a large impact on my life. I am far away from home, being introduced to this new world, yet at this current moment I do not feel lost and alone. Chaminade University, with its great, hardworking faculty, and friendly students showed me that I have the potential and courage to step out into the new, bigger world. I have the power to become very socialable, power to communicate and the wisdom to share knowledge and services with the people around me. I became very active in self confidence, and I know that other people appreciate what I do. I perform community services and do volunteer jobs; Painting. What has become of me is very valuable to the community and to the world because the bigger picture is not about me but about what I do for others and how others feel. It's been very valuable to attend Chaminade because I'm still learning what to do best.

Most high school seniors have one or both of two problems: a false sense of invincibility or an unrealistic fear of everything; I had a combination of both oddly enough. The funny thing about these problems is that just about everyone experiences one or the other or both to some degree, and nearly all of these people partially recover from both complexes (in what I have seen) in just the first semester of college. Of course, college is excellent for the purpose of getting an education, making friends and trying new things, but above all else, going to college is a way of saying to many struggling new adults "you're not actually invincible, but you're smart. You can do it." The entire experience has been a rush of encouragement balanced with humility, idealism with reality, and an even mixture of failures and successes to remind me that I can amount to something, but not everything. It embarasses me to admit how long it took me, but I've finally realized that it's not about comparing myself to everyone else anymore. I can take pride in who I am, who I'm becoming, and what I can do.

Being a college student has been both tremendous and challenging. Tremendous in having the oportunity to expand my academic horizons and work hard to achieve my dreams. It has been challenging in always trying to make sure I had enough funding available and falling back when my family encountered challenging times. I was a successful student in high school; so successful that I felt invincible to every challenge that came my way. Little did I know that one day, I'd face the rare challenge of seeing my family fall apart and at the time, try to keep myself together. If I could go back to being my high school self, I'd say, "Don't forget why you're leaving your family. Everything you do from here on out is for them. Despite the hardships that will come your way, don't ever let it take your eyes off the goal of completing college. Don't forget that your every accomplishment is a step closer to a beautiful home, being able to help mom pay for the electricity on time, and health insurance for dad." With scholarship opportunities, determination, and faith, I'm back and ready to succeed.

From my education at a two-year community college, I've not only learned about the world I live in, but have also learned how to make it a better place. I've learned about myself and the things I want in my life, and learned about those around me and the things they need in the lifes they live. I've learned how to be responsible and self-reliant, so I can then serve others who are in need. I've learned of the aspirations and successes of cultures and societies that have made them great, as well as the mistakes and struggles they encounter. From the education I received, I feel more confident in my ability to problem solve, communicate with others, maintain, oraganize, and create. Every class and course helped me understand others better, whether it was a direct lesson from a psychology, history, or communications course, or more indirectly through other studies such as science, health, and finance. Everyone's life is unique, but we all go through similar experiences. Studying every aspect of the world around us only helps us grow closer to those with whom we share it.

parents and students should really sit down together and dicuss what they are looking for in a university or college. communication is very important btw a family and it can help you with choosing the right school. some schools can be out of reach financially and you dont want to end up in debt when there are other schools out there that offer great degrees and great finanical aid. most private school are expensive however they ofter the most financial aid from what i discovered when i applied to college. really do the research together as a family and be open to move from home too! sometimes leaving home tends to make you become a bit more responsible! its hard for parents but in the end even parents willl see how much there child has grown! once you pick the right school and you are there mingle as much as you can! it can be hard at times to meet people especially if family and friends from home keep saying they miss you and want you to come back! be strong because you are going to learn more about yourself when you are away at college than those who dont!

Out of my college experience, I have learned a lot about myself, the things I value, and what I plan to do with my life that will benefit not just myself, but others as well. From living on my own, to making my class schedules, to putting numerous hours into being at the library, I've learned that time management and self-discipline are vital characteristics one should have in their life. I have to be able to manage my time accordingly to when things are due, and make sure I can motivate and dedicate myself to follow through with things I have already committed to. These aspects of responsibility will help further in life when I choose to do whatever it is I desire. As for the value of attending college, I believe in this day and age a college degree puts you one step ahead of others in this very competitive workforce. Also, I feel more prosperous or well-off about dealing with events that lie ahead in life, and this is another thing I can pass on to my children, so they can grow up and be motivated to succeed with the value of a college education.

During my senior year of high school, I was focused, independent, and goal oriented. I enlisted into the Army Reserves to help pay for school during my senior year and left for training shortly after graduation. I missed for the first semester of school due to training but I planned for this and had taken dual credit and AP classes while in High School. During my first semester my attitude in college did not change. Although I made a few mistakes, there are none that I regret. Shortly before my second semester of college I became pregnant. I continued to go to class and do all that was asked of me and then some. A week before finals my unborn child was diagnosed with Heterotaxy Syndrome, a very rare birth defect. I finished the semester with over a 3.0. I am unable to attend school this semester full time but I will be taking online classes until I can attend school again in approximately six months. I would greatly appreciate this scholarship to help me continue my education and help me fullfill my dream of becoming an attorney.