Collin County Community College District

« See more reviews of Collin County Community College District

As a high school senior I was convinced college wasn't for me and that I did not have the intelligence to do well in my classes. I would tell myself that showing up and getting to know my professors will help me the do well in class. Do not procrastinate is a very important message that I unfortunately had to learn the hard way. I would say even though I may not like a professor I can still learn in the class by being open to every thing that goes on and using the materials needed for the class. Some more important advice would be to check for my books on amazon since the book store can be overpriced. Also always carry scantrons especially final exam week. The most important advice would be to have confidence in myself and not to give up even if I feel so overwhelmed by all the work I sometimes have.

This is a tough question to answer in only 200 words. Only a year ago, I was a senior sleeping until 10 A.M. every day and breezing along through my classes with seemingly nothing to worry about. I let my GPA slip to a 3.1, the lowest in my life and procrastinated often. Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself that college will not be this easy. You have to work extremely hard and put everything you have into every assignment. Also, I would tell myself that college should not be about the partying. Some of the schools I selected were based on their rankings on "Maxim's List of Party Schools." College is not a time to party. College is a time to expand your knowledge, and become more mature while doing so. A year ago I was clueless. I never knew what college would bring.

If I could go back and talk to myself from high school I would tell myself to start getting into better study habits now rather than trying to devlop them later on. I would also tell myself to not be so worried about starting college because while it is very different from high school it's not a bad or scary thing it's actually way better than high school. It's a place full of amazing people and professors and you learn so much so quickly and it's wonderful and you have no reason to be scared and to make sure to enjoy your time instead of worrying so much about your future. I'm sure as I attend college more than just ine semester I would be able to add so many things to what I'd say to my high school self but right now those are the most important things I can think of.

If I could go back in time to talk with my former self I would tell her to finish high school and go to college. While you may not know what to do exaclty now, in a few years programs in forensic science will be available, while right now it is unheard of and not offered. Start taking as many science courses as you can to get a good solid base started which will make the transfer into a forensic program easier. Going this route will be a lot better and will help you accomplish your goal alot faster then trying to get this type of degree done later on in life having to start from square one. Yes your high school may have been a joke but take advatage of what you can get out of it before you have to pay for everything. It costs a lot more.

I have often repeated that phrase to myself over the last 20 years but not nearly as much as I have over the last 6 months. As an 18 year old, I had my whole life ahead of me. Unfortunately, circumstances occured, my parents died. I allowed thweir deaths to prevent me from completing my education. I wasn't smart enought then. I thought I had it all worked out. I was wrong! Now, that I am 45 years old. Now that I am a college student again, it's actually very simple. What I would tell myself, 27 years ago is, stay in school, no matter what! Don't let anything get in your way of the education you often dreamed about! Don't think you know it all! Do whatever it takes to finish! In the end, it makes it all worthwhile!

The advice that I would give myself is to work my hardest with everything that I do. In the past I never really worked up to my potential because nearly everything came easily to me. I was satisfied and quit working if whatever I did led me to achieve a passing grade. However now that I'm in college, I realize that it's not just about grades and passing, but to work my best to show myself how amazing "my best" can really be and that I'm capable of achieving more than what I thought I could do. It's a great step in growing up and learning more about yourself. If I could go to the past, I would tell myself to not stop working just because it's simple and efficient, but to work harder to make it complex and wonderful.

In the past four months, I have often said that exact phrase, if only I knew then what I know now! This past fall I returned to college to follow my childhood dream. I am currently attending classes at Collin College, in Plano, Texas. I was laid off for a year with no luck finding a new job. I've spent fifteen years as a restaurant manager and wasnt very happy with my life. I just completed my first semester back to school. I made the 'President's List' with a 4.0 GPA. It was the first time I had ever accomplished something so spectacular! I am convinced that I made the right decision. If I could go back in time, I only have one thing to say to myself, "Do whatever you have to do to finish your edcation, Sandy!

Looking back at my senior year in high school there are many things I wish I could have done differently. My advice that I would give myself would be to have applied for every scholarship possible. Coming from a mid-classed family it was very difficult to find anything to apply for because my parents income was considered "too much". I was turned down by all federal grants which in result discouraged me from even trying to apply for scholarships. I wish I would have had more faith and didn't give up so easily because even if I would have recieved 1 scholarship for any amount, it would be helping me reach my educational goals with a little more ease of not having to worry about how I am going to pay for college.

I would definitely advise myself to partake in more activities and more honor classes to boost my GPA. Also i would encourage myself to do more research on careers and majors so I would be more prepared for my journey. I would have definitely worked to improve my SAT and ACT scores. Overall, I do not regret the decisions i made in high school because I did graduate with a 3.41, I did participate in softball and volunteered. The only thing I am currently struggling with that i wish i had a head start on is the financial aspect of college. If i knew it would cost this much because financial aid do not always cover everything, I would have gotten a job to start saving.

I would tell myself to not worry about choosing a Major. Feel free to explore your options. You have plenty of time to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life, and even then, it’s okay to change your mind later on. I’d tell myself that if you don’t think you’ll be able to work with an instructor, then go ahead and drop the class. There are other classes that you can take, and you can always take it another time with a different instructor. Relax. Don’t get too worked up and stress out about the small stuff. Get your work done, pay attention to deadlines, and most importantly, don’t read too much. That way you get enough sleep to stay awake in class.