Collin County Community College District

« See more reviews of Collin County Community College District

I would inform myself on how to finance my education. I would advise myself to apply for scholarships or grants. I would recommend to myself not to take any student loans. Student loans are expensive with no guarantee a job will pay a higher salary to compensate for the cost of the loan. In addition, I would tell the younger version of myself to attend a two year community college instead of a technical school. Community colleges provide the recipient with a lower-priced accredited degree. In contrast, technical schools provide the recipient with costly and non-accredited degree.

If I had the ability to go back in time in order to coach myself about what is to come, I would definitely advise myself to not to take this special time I will only have once in my lifetime for granted. I have always worked for what I have and unfortunately I have never been able to fully experience my teenage years and I really regret that. I would tell myself to enjoy the time you have with your friends and to appreciate your educators more, because with their consistent effort, you are continuing your education to be the successful young person they set out to accomplish.

I would tell myself to do exactly the same thing I have already done. I would take my core classes each semester until I figured out what I wanted to major in, and in the meantime, I would try to find jobs that reflect my own desires and strengths, in order to find an idea of which careers I might want to pursue. I would focus on my priorities, make good grades, and not let anyone tell me that I could not be successful in whatever career I might choose. I would tell myself that anything is possible if I do the work and effort into something that I am passionate about.

I would tell myself to make sure and study throughout your entire college career instead of partying and slacking off the first few weeks. I would also advise myself to go to a junior college for a year, and then transfer into a university in order to cut down on freshman year tuition and fees. These two pieces of advice are things I wish I could now do, because if I had before I could still be at John Brown University instead of Collin County Community College where I might not get as good of an education as I could somewhere else.

If I could back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would actually chose not to give myself any advice. I feel as though that I was greatly prepared for the new life I started when I began college and my transition was extremely smooth. Also, the mistakes that I've made so far in my new life have only shaped me and taught me lessons. Without those mistakes, I may have never learned those lessons and I would be missing out on new knowledge.

Take your education very seriously; your grades are important. It may not seem important now, but it is. College will not always be fun, but remember to have fun when you can. Stick with it and you will reap the rewards of your hard work. Take advantage of the ability to devote your time to school. If you don't stick with college now, later on you will have to juggle a job, housework, classes, and homework. Most of all, remember that college isn't easy, but things that are worthwhile never are. You can do anything!

I would tell my self to pay attention, listen to what your teachers, advisors and parents have to say. I would also stress the importance of going to college and completeing your degree requirements, because that degree will get your foot in the door to most jobs. I would also stress the importance of credit, work ethic and your family. Credit is hard to come by after you have made mistakes. Work ethic is important because if you work hard you will be succesful, and your family is important because they will be you support.

I would tell myself not to stress or worry. I would say that I was extremely prepared for all of my classes due to the excellent educated provided by my High School. I would tell myself that I have great potential in my future career and that stressing over things you cannot change is not healthy. I would say that I have made many wonderful friends so i should not worry about all my friends leaving for other schools. Finally, I would tell myself to relax and to enjoy the ride because these times will go by extremely fast.

Granted that I was in such a huge high school with a class of 1300 people and so much competition, I would have not tried as hard as I did in high school if I would have known I was going to end up in Collin College for two years afterwards anyway. I could've had more fun in high school and not wasted my time busting my butt to be in the top 35% which most schools don't give scholarships for. I also would have taken more duel credit courses in high school so I wouldn't have to take them in college later.

I would tell myself how important the future is, and that there is more to life than just high school. I would map out a plan to get my education taken care of right after high school instead of waiting. I would want to tell myself to have more fun, and that while I needed to be mindful of the road ahead, I needed to enjoy the present. I would want to convey the message of how truly carefree I should be feeling, instead of a feeling of indifference about everything, especially regarding my education.