Columbia University in the City of New York

« See more reviews of Columbia University in the City of New York

I feel like I have covered most of it in my rants above. All I have left is the athletes here have the egos of professionals with the talents of amateurs and it is really obnoxious and annoying. This being said I am a former athlete so I am not just saying that with no clout. I do not have respect for a lot of the athletes as they seem to walk around with a stigma that they are better than everyone yet their records say the opposite. Between football and volleyball they have zero wins in they ivy at all this past year and they are two of the snottier teams. I don't appreciate the way I am looked down upon. However, despite all my bashing on this school, I personally have had a great time, I just don't like being or seeing people subject to the cruelty of other students and the ridiculous demands of teachers.

One of the most important things I've done here is take Columbia's Mixology Class. It's a couple hundred bucks, but it's a grand investment. Six weeks, six nights, one hour of instruction, followed by an hour of snacking, talking, and hands-on experimentation with a full bar. On the sixth week, you take a test: half written exam, half practical exam. Best of all, if you study hard (enjoy yourself) and pay attention (drink what you make), you have the chance to join the Columbia Bartending Agency and put what you know to use around New York City. It's easily the best part of going to Columbia.

Columbia is so unique because it's located in one of the greatest cities in the entire world. Because Columbia is located in New York City, a whole neew world of opportunities is available to students, in the form of internships and jobs, cultural exploration, and learning resources. Columbia has great academics on its own, but combined with everything New York City has to offer, the learning that can take place is incredible. Aside from this, simply living in New York City is an amazing experience, and what better time to do it than during your college years?

Columbia fosters an atmosphere for the academically inquistive. Never has a school, in my opinion, possessed such an amazing balance between one's education and one's real-world experience. At Columbia, the students thrive, not just survive. This school encourages students to be the best and most promising they can possibly be. Columbia is also in the city of New York, which makes it a constantly evolving nexus in the realms of knowledge, culture, and many other pursuits. There is no way anyone can be unfulfilled at such an enriching school.

The Core Curriculum-- our liberal arts-focused education. We have to take our major courses as well, but there is something to be said about a school that wants its students to be well-versed about history, music, philosophy, the sciences, etc. It's not always something we enjoy (especially when it comes time to choose classes and fulfilling requirements), but looking back, I am extremely glad and proud that I survived Columbia's core.

Columbia University offers a vast amounts of majors, and the staff at the school is willing to help you succeed to no end. They go beyond what most students would ever even dream of having done for them. The campus as well is a sanctuary from the rest of the hustle and bustle of New York City. The lawns are perfect, the buildings have much character, and there is a huge amount of history in every square inch of that campus.

The student population was extremely diverse at Columbia. There were a large number of international students as well, which provided a more well rounded and, at the same time, interesting campus life. Columbia also offered classes in the freshman year that gave students a chance to do community projects.

Columbia University offers a wide diversity of thoughts, ideas, and beliefs, far surpassing any other college. Located in New York City, the history and culture pouring out from the city and it's people allows all students to gain a truly unique experience.

I love Columbia!!! The only downside is the bureaucracy that often makes things difficult--there's a lot of red tape to cut through if you want to get things done when it comes to administrative issues. Other than that, it's wonderful here.

It's an Ivy League. What else can I say? I mean, sure, yea, Harvard and Yale are worthy competitors, but c'mon... Cambridge and New Haven (puhleeease) definitely don't measure up to New York City. It's Manhattan!