Columbia University in the City of New York

« See more reviews of Columbia University in the City of New York

Most of these stereotypes are inaccurate; first of all, although Columbia has a fairly small campus, we do have our own campus in Manhattan that is beautiful and always full of people. I have alot of good friends on sports teams who are doing great (our fencing team just placed 3rd in Nationals, our crew teams are doing well also). I am in a sorority and the members of Greek life on campus are awesome and very involved in creating a better campus life. There are some students who spend hours at the library studying every day, but honestly, there are dedicated students like that at every college, especially Ivy League Universities. Most students around here manage their studies and partying very well.

I personally believe that you can find people here who do fulfill the stereotypes, as well as at any other school. There's a good mix of people who go out and have fun, and people who are more chill. You can basically find a good mix of both or one of the extremes, as you like. Also, there is rarely rivalry between Barnard and Columbia girls, I know various people who have Barnard sisters or best friends. And as for being too liberal - you are in New York City... in general people will be more liberal than the conservative South where I came from.

Yes, most Columbia students are very intelligent and also very diverse. They are competitive and strive to do well, but not to the point of back-biting others. Most Columbia students are hard working and devote a lot of time to their studies, as well as to a wide array of extracurricular and multi-cultural activities. There are also some nation-wide stereotypes of American "sorority girls" (as dumb, slutty, etc) but these stereotypes don't apply to the young women in Columbia's chapter of AXO who are, in my opinion, intelligent and classy.

Not at all. There is so much going on here all the time. 96% of upperclassman live in campus housing and there are always events on campus. If you wanted to stay on campus all the time and just take advantage of school activities you wouldn't get bored but, I mean, why would you come to NY unless you wanted to explore the city!

No, not always though I have definitly met a lot of socially akward boys at Columbia. Both Barnard and Columbia girls are at times pretty and at times.. well... not so much. But it really goes both ways.

Although there are a lot of Jewish students, we're not all Jewish. And there are a lot of humble, attractive, poor people. However, we are afraid to go beyond 125th St.

yes and no. there is most definitely a social life at Columbia, the only problem is that the majority of people are indeed socially awkward.

some are some aren't, but they do not reflect every student, some students give a bad name to the whole student body

Yes and no. We are the most diverse campus in the most diverse city in the world.

for a small group of people it is, but not for the vast majority of students