Columbia University in the City of New York

« See more reviews of Columbia University in the City of New York

What's the Greek scene like?

The Greek scene is not a huge part of Columbia. The sororities aren't very predominant. The fraternities are slightly more active on campus. Occasionally, they have parties or fundraisers. However, since the frat houses are brownstones, there is very little room so that parties are often regulated based on size and thus hard to get into. If you choose not to be a part of Greek life, you definitely will not miss out on the social scene. Even if you do choose to rush a fraternity or sorority, you can choose how involved you want to be with it.

There are 13 fraternities and 4 sororities, but 2 more sororities are coming to campus next year. Greek life has doubled in size in the last 5 years, but still makes up only about 10% of the population. New rules on Greek organizations have reduced the number of house parties, but fraternities and sororities are still very active in off-campus events, intramural sports, and philanthropy and community service. The people who are in it generally love it, those who are not generally despise it.

A look at Frat Row in front of the Alpha Delta Phi house.

Tour of the Alpha Delta Phi house.