CUNY Hunter College

« See more reviews of CUNY Hunter College

I have yet to meet a student brag or complain about how much they earn, but I am sure they exist. Every type of student exists at hunter and you can avoid them as much as you can find them and be with them. You will be sure to see a 'punk' or 'alternative' dressed student happily and politely give directions to a 'nerd'. There is definitely a high tolerance for diversity here, it would be more awkward to find a student confusedly and judgmentally staring at someone else, I think the student body agrees on that, and they do not agree on much. The LGBT community is getting bigger and stronger, there are a few clubs that fall under this umbrella. There are socialists and liberals and plenty republicans and a bunch of people in the middle, politically as well. Hunter definitely has something for everyone.

The Hunter student body is extremely active. There are over 120 clubs at the school, helped along by the fact that Hunter is a very diverse school. There is really something for everybody. I have experienced some strife between clubs, but it's at a minimum. Most clubs just serve their purpose and have a good time. I really don't think any student at Hunter could possibly feel out of place. If I were to describe it in the most high school of terms, I would say that the tables in the cafeteria are all mixed up. Every ethnic group is paired with whomever they're talking to at the time. I don't find that ethnic groups stay together at all, with most branching out to other ethnic groups. In the classroom, you're not of a group of people, you're a student trying to learn.

I don't think anyone would feel out of place here. This college is so diverse and is right in the center of Manhattan. You can't go wrong. Most students are middle class. Most just can't afford to go to the top notch universities, no matter how good their grades are (unless they get a scholarship somehow). With America in recession, I speculate that students are doing the smart thing here. Graduating from NYU $30,000 in debt and then not being able to find a job, like a few friends I know, is too risky for even those who can afford it. Especially for international students like me because you're pretty much on your own two feet.

My classmates are diligent and opportunistic young individuals that are challenging themselves with rigorous courses in their fields of major and/or minor, striving for the best by studying hard to reach the ultimate goal of graduation with that stunning 4.0 GPA, taking the most of each experience they encounter, networking and meeting new individuals that will open new doors of opportunities, and utilizing the knowledge learned from the classes to real-world problems and situations; however, they are capable of doing so by creating a balance of work and study with having fun and enjoying the college life.

very very very diverse, everyone is here. Most students are middle-class, a lot of immigrants and 1st gen college students, it's a city school, hugely commuter and tuition is low. Interaction occurs in classrooms, not so much outside. classrooms are diverse but major-dependent. No one uses the dining hall. Very left (for the most part), there's a lot of political activity and activism on one end and a lot of apathy on the other. Most people come from backgrounds that emphasize the link btwn edu and $, so money matters, but the pre-meds and pre-laws probably care more about it than the film majors.

My favorite quality about Hunter is its diversity. Not only does the CUNY college have diverse cultures, it is also indicative of the true nature of New York City with its economically and politically diverse students. I am Muslim, but often spend time in Hillel and even had joint events with the club using The Women's Rights Coalition. I can't imagine anyone feeling out of place at Hunter, unless they were a member of a hate group such as KKK. There is a very diverse range of opinions at Hunter, but being a NYC college, we tend to be more liberal than our southern counterparts.

I think people are very segregated. I think people should run against goverment as there is no competition at all among students and so we only have one option, but since students are not involved the same group remains in govement and i think they are exclusive. there are too few men. most students are lower-middle class so have jobs and other pre-occupations on their mind. hunter is not a home, its an obligation. most are liberals to an extreme (for example, the socialist club) that has completley biased and misinformation.

It has increased my cultural awareness immensely. A very country person. Casual jeans and Ts. Yes. One table has 10 people sitting together, talking loudly about the group project they are working on together. Another table has three students chatting as they eat because they had randomly ran into each other. One other table has four people chatting about the class they just left from. One table has a girl studying by herself on her lap top w/ her coffee. Brooklyn. Middle-class. Some. left. yes.

Most of the people I've shared a class with have been nice. My first semester, I had a block program so I'm still friends with most of the people that were in my block. I find it hard to judge the other classmates. Some are pretentious know-it-all's. Others wind up being awesome, but I don't realize this until the very last class. So it's basically like any other school, where there is an even divide of assholes and normal people

My classmates are usually engaging, thought provoking, supportive, well-versed in the subject in which they’re enrolled in, helpful, and generally provide a unique experience to the course; however, there are times in which a sour disposition or a bout with Murphy’s Law can drastically change the mood of a classroom, however it should be noted that it’s a rare occurrence.