CUNY Hunter College

« See more reviews of CUNY Hunter College

The worst thing about my school definitely has to be the price of lunch. There have been various hikes in the cost of food items in our cafeteria, some of which have doubled in just a few semesters. While prices have increased, relative quality remains as it was prior to the increase in cost. Many cafeteria workers were recently subjected to atrociously minimal wage increases and a cut in benefits. This was confronted with several meetings and a campus-wide picketing/protest. Needless to say our school-wide efforts paid off.

The worst is possible the campus. If you are looking for a traditional college feel, this is not it. Rather this is one step away from getting use to the hard post grad NYC life. Which is both a blessing and a curse. At the end you will be better equipped to negotiate the city but you miss opportunities to built longer lasting friends the way you do in traditional colleges. Hunter is a commuter school and that means folks come in, go to class and usually go off to work with little time for engaging other students.

The worst thing I consider in this school would have to be registering for classes. There's a whole bunch of us students and sometimes having a late registration time isn't beneficial. Cross that-- having a late registration time is never good. Everyone's trying to register for classes where the teachers are highly rated and sometimes the times of the classes clash too. Overall, it's a pain to have to change the "perfect schedule" because you couldn't register for it.

The worst thing about my school is dealing with Financial Aid. Unfortunatly, there is a lot of run around and waiting in lines to get through. The people who work in the department are exhausted and have very difficult jobs organizing and dealing with many students. As a student you must be patient, organized, ready with your information and prepared to follow their directions. If you stick with it, the difficulties will end, but it will be a hardship.

I would have to say the bureaucracy. It's very hard to get any straight answers from the financial aid office, the bursar, or the registrar. It has also been really hard to be involved in the clubs because the college association and student activities are hard to deal with. Everyone who works in these offices wants to help, but they are often not well-informed. Eventually, you can get stuff done but you have to be insistent and ask for supervisors.

The food in the cafe for the students to eat has very limit. Please consider to offer more plenty and various food to the student since there are not many food to buy around the school. The staffs in the registrar office are not that nice. Most of the computers outside of the registrar office, in the hallway and student resources center are not working. I am wondering how the school used the tech and student activities fee for.

The worst thing about Hunter is the administration. The classes/professors are great, but the administration staff are the worst! They lose information, then blame it on the student. Or worse, they transcribe something incorrectly, and the student's information becomes incorrect or lost. The worst is when a class will be dropped for non-payment, when the bill was paid and it just wasn't entered into the computer on time.

Adivising, and administration are the worst at Hunter. They do not tell you what you need to know, you have to find out everything yourself. It is easy to mess up, or go in the wrong direction due to lack of assistance. It is quite upsetting, and the best thing to do is to find out all the information you can from the beginning so there are no surprises or you aren't missing any last minute requirements.

It is overcrowded. Class size is not too bad, 30-40 for most classes. But the hallways and elevators and escalators are all always stuffed to capacity. They need more space, or fewer students. Also, they need more fulltime professors. I had many excellent Adjunct Proffessors, but it itsn't fair to them to be denied a full time job.

The worst thing about my college is that it doesn't give the students a chance to be social---while it offers many different clubs and organizations, the social atmosphere is barely existant because it has no campus where students can hang out or dorms that allows students to get to know their peers.